TDEE Calculation Question

Options
I am trying to get into the habit of walking our dogs twice a day for 3 miles (so, 6 total). I walk 3-3.5 mph with them. Once it's a habit I would consider it part of my daily activity and adjust my tdee accordingly.

My question is - it's not exactly strenuous (except on my left arm, lol), but does come to 14 hours a week, so I don't know what to put for my normal activity - there's 1-3hrs/wk light, 3-5hrs/wk moderate, 5-6hrs/wk strenuous, and 7-21hrs/wk strenuous.

\What do you think?

Replies

• Very_Kerri
    Very_Kerri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This has been one of my biggest questions too. I put in about 7-10 hours of activity a week but I don't think it's particularly strenuous all the time. The calculator is just a guideline from what I can tell. If you get a better answer, that would be great.
  • KarissaA
    KarissaA Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I walk that amount twice a day as well and I use moderate for my level. it is working for me.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Is it the only exercise you're doing atm? If it is, I would maybe mark it down under moderate? You're doing a lot of hours, but because walking isn't a huge calorie burner, the numbers won't add up if you just went by the time. If you don't have any luck with using that TDEE number for a month or so, then try again with lightly active, would be my advice.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    TDEE requires some trial and error, as it is an estimate. Either start with light or moderate for a few weeks, and adjust accordingly.
  • KarissaA
    KarissaA Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Is it the only exercise you're doing atm? If it is, I would maybe mark it down under moderate? You're doing a lot of hours, but because walking isn't a huge calorie burner, the numbers won't add up if you just went by the time. If you don't have any luck with using that TDEE number for a month or so, then try again with lightly active, would be my advice.

I am also doing a c25k training program, so an additional 2.5-3 miles 3-4 days a week.

Thanks, everyone!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I walk 18-20 miles per week for work, plus a few miles of running and lifting 2x per week, and I am in between lightly and moderately active based on multipliers. You could probably start with moderate, and adjust as needed.