Couch to 5K questions

Options
I am going to start the couch to 5K. I am not a runner/jogger so this is all new. How fast do you walk and how fast do you jog?

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The best advice that I can give you is run slower than you think you should! I tried going all out during my first runs and could barely get through them. I slowed down and that helped a lot. When I trained on my treadmill and I was starting out I would walk at 3 mph and run/jog at 4 mph on an incline of 5. After the first three weeks I started running outside. At my first race after I finished the program I ran 12 minute miles. Hope this helps and good luck!! If C25K could turn me into a runner, it can turn anyone into a runner.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I had the same question.
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed right now. If you can't go for the full 60 seconds, then slow down a little on your pace. As a new runner, it's better to focus on distance or over pace until your body grows accustomed to it so that you avoid injury.

Good luck to you! It's a great plan!! I am a graduate of it myself. It just takes perseverence.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    There are lots of C25K tools on the web. It doesn't matter how fast you walk or run at the beginning. Your initial goal is to be able to complete a 5k. I started with intervals. Walking for 2mins then run/jog for 30 secs then I kept adding 30 secs every week to my run/jog never walking longer than 2mins until I completed my first 5k

good luck
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    start out with a lower speed and then you can always up the speed! I'd start at jogging 5.0 and walking 3.5 then increase it as it got easy.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    i am NOT a runner. haven't run on purpose.....like ever. SO I was so proud of myself when i did my walks at 3.5 and my runs at 4.5. Then I read a lot of people running A LOT faster than me. LOL

but you know what? i think good for them. maybe one day i can do better, but for right now, this is challenging enough for me and i get a good burn in. (about 275 cals for 1/2 hr).

my advice, run at where you feel you're challenging yourself, but not dying & have fun! :)
  • grace914
    grace914 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You'll do great! I took a 0 to 5k class at my local park district. It was a great class and it was very similar like the internet sources. I took the class in Feb and ran my first 5k in May and another in October. I'm not the fastest runner; I'm between 12:30 and 13:30 per mile. The best feeling is when you tell someone you completed a 5k. Just imagine how you will feel when you tell someone you completed a 10k or a marathon! Good luck!
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am excited! But scared too. I have been walking briskly at 3.5 for 30 minutes so I really had no idea how I should walk then jog. Once before I hurt my ankles by trying to jog so I'll take it slow this time.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    start out with a lower speed and then you can always up the speed! I'd start at jogging 5.0 and walking 3.5 then increase it as it got easy.
    I agree--I started with the same speeds and had never been a runner before. Sometimes if I felt really spent towards the end intervals, I would walk at a 3.0... If you're a first time runner, your goal now is to build endurance, so go with what is comfortable for you and you can always challenge yourself by increasing the speed when you're comfortable.

Good luck!!! You can do it!!!!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yep. Slow is key. It took me a full five months to complete the c25k and run in a 5k. I finished in 38 minutes, which is SLOW. It was about finishing rather than time. Nine month later my 10k times are around 12 minute miles and I'm training for a half which I hope to complete in 12 minute miles, but will gladly take 13 if that what it takes to be successful.

The best advice I can give you is to take it slow. You will know when you're going to fast, you'll feel it in your chest, lungs and legs. When you think you can't go another second, try backing off a bit and see if you can keep going at the slower speed. I always tell myself that the speed is fine as long as I'm not going backwards! Also, if you feel like you need to repeat a week, do it. No same in that!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the Couch 2 5K. I use a treadmill. Walk at 3.0 and Jog at 4.0. Once I get up to jogging the full 30 minutes, I will work on slowly increasing speed. This is slow, but I have a very short stride and found that starting out quicker than this leads to shin splints. Also, I walk the first 2 1/2 minutes then stop and stretch out, then walk the additional 2 1/2 minutes of the warm up walk. I also stretch out after I'm done. Since doing this I have had no problems with shin splints or anything else. Also, invest in running shoes. So worth it!
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    Totally agree with previous posters...I started c25k and ran at what I felt comfortable doing. That's a 3.0/3.5mph walk and a 5mph jog. Bc I'm just starting I don't care how long it takes me...I just want to be able to jog, nonstop, for 5km. And once I can do that I'll work on getting the time down.

So go at what feels comfortable...speed will eventually come :)

Gratz to you on starting :)