I need tips to help me from leaning forward when I squat!

Options
I thought I was getting better with my squats but I'm not. I'm leaning forward too much. My bf tried to help me but I just couldn't figure it out. Once my knees start bending, I start leaning

How do I retrain myself to do squats properly? I understand what I am SUPPOSED to do. But I don't know how to correct it

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    More than likely you're trying NOT to let your knees pass your toes. This would usually cause a forward bend. It's okay to let your knees go past your toes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you imagine your pelvis is a bowl of tea you cannot spill, that may help.
  • jmill434
    jmill434 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The bar needs to be lower. I would venture to guess you have the bar sitting on top of your traps.
  • ToRideLevi
    Options
    Keep your weight on your heels if you are not doing so. And think of the top of your head raising up rather then thinking of pushing off and up with your legs. I don't know if this is helpful but thought I'd mention it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Try doing squats facing a wall, with your toes a few inches from the wall. Do the squat, don't touch the wall.

Also, lead the squat with your butt. It's literally like sitting down on a chair. Sit on an imaginary chair. If you need to, get a short stool or something of the appropriate height and put it behind you, and then *almost* sit on it.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I try to remember to 'put my weight on my heels.'
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In for the wisdom. I'm still struggling with this a little too. I also tend to want to lift up on my toes as I stand...
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The goal is to have a vertical bar path. So the bar travels in a straight vertical line as you squat down and back up.
    When you set up, get nice and tight, take in a full breath into your belly and hold it. This helps keep a tight core.
    Start your squat by breaking at the hips and pushing your butt back. This helps keep the vertical bar path and keeps your weight on your heels.
    If you don't stay tight and push your butt back, the weight will move forward and the leverage it creates will try to bend you over under the weight and you will end up with more of a "good morning" exercise.
    And yes, don't go too crazy over keeping your knees behind your toes. We all have different body geometry, so if they come forward a little bit that's OK, but the exercise should not be all knees and you shouldn't feel knee pain. Also remember to push your knees outward during the exercise so your knees track your feet. Letting your knees cave inward can lead to injury.
    Good luck!
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    It may sound silly but I found doing front squats helped me correct this. Havin the weight in front of me made me feel less like sitting back with a straight back would topple me over backwards.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The goal is to have a vertical bar path. So the bar travels in a straight vertical line as you squat down and back up.
    When you set up, get nice and tight, take in a full breath into your belly and hold it. This helps keep a tight core.
    Start your squat by breaking at the hips and pushing your butt back. This helps keep the vertical bar path and keeps your weight on your heels.
    If you don't stay tight and push your butt back, the weight will move forward and the leverage it creates will try to bend you over under the weight and you will end up with more of a "good morning" exercise.
    And yes, don't go too crazy over keeping your knees behind your toes. We all have different body geometry, so if they come forward a little bit that's OK, but the exercise should not be all knees and you shouldn't feel knee pain. Also remember to push your knees outward during the exercise so your knees track your feet. Letting your knees cave inward can lead to injury.
    Good luck!

Good advice here!!

Also found that box squat helps. Wall sits, hold in the "hole" position, will all help with hip mobility as well, which will make it easier for that dept.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    There are a number of potential problems, but it is hard to pinpoint the issue without seeing you lift. If you could post a vid that would assist greatly.

That being said, I think the most likely cause is simply that the weight is too heavy for you and you need to scale back to dial in your form. There is a weak link in your muscular development and with forward lean it is often a lack of core strength. Are you bracing properly - with a big breath of air and squashing your abs (as if someone is going to hit you in the stomach)?

The other possibility is a lack of mobility. I have seen a few people with poor range of motion in their ankles (dorsiflexion) causing people to lean forward too.

My main recommendation would be to cut the weight back down to a point where you are comfortable with your form, and work on increasing reps at that weight to get your motor patterns set before you go any heavier. Then increase the weight slowly and always pay attention to form.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Or, maybe your individual body's geometry dictates a forward lean. I work with a trainer and he doesn't feel the need to force me to stop leaning forward despite my initial preoccupation with it. My weight's in my heels; I just have a tiny torso and stilt legs. Physics dictates that keeping the weight (bar) over midfoot requires that my torso comes forward.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

AHHHHHHHH IT BURNS IT BURNS!!

Why did you tell me to spill hot tea on my pelvis?!!?!?!?
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

AHHHHHHHH IT BURNS IT BURNS!!

Why did you tell me to spill hot tea on my pelvis?!!?!?!?

It's okay, it's okay! Don't panic! Imagine my glutes are ice-packs! Hurry!!!!
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Look up some videos (i.e., do an internet search) on: Eric Goodman Foundation Training
    and watch the video of how to do "The Founder" which is a kind of a squat.

That helped me. It also helped me that my yolaties teacher said to keep your weight on your heels. Once and a while, lift your toes up to make sure your weight is on your heals.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

1346839458-auto-dafuq-dafuq-did-i-just-read-200165-jpeg.82686

It may sound silly but I found doing front squats helped me correct this. Havin the weight in front of me made me feel less like sitting back with a straight back would topple me over backwards.

that's not silly at all. front squats are a great way to help prevent excessive forward lean during back squats. many benefits to front squats.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me correct this was to increase the angle of my feet outward, and then as I moved down, I focused on pushing my knees out to the side, so they were inline with my toes. Google around and find some stuff where Mark Rippetoe talks about squat form.

The front squat accessory work is solid advice too.
  • vilasini2
    vilasini2 Posts: 10
    Options
    Go to India and use squat toilets for months, it taught me how to squat!!
  • Honeycat89
    Honeycat89 Posts: 149
    Options
    arms out in front of you, bum backwards like you're sitting on a chair.