If I'm not hungry do i need to keep eating?

Options
So I have logged my food for the day and it says I am short of my 1200 calorie goal, plus I don't know if I should count the exercise I did on my incline trainer since I have the fitbit but that is another thread! ANYWAY! I am not feeling hungry but do I NEED the extra 100 calories? I know you can mess up your weight loss by not eating enough too which I think is soo weird!

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    If you calculated your calorie allowance using the MFP method, yes, you are meant to eat back your exercise calories.

I don't think you should force yourself to eat more if you are really not hungry but try not to get too short of your allowance .
    However under by 100 calories shouldn't matter - in the long run, some days will be bit under and some bit over, it should even out.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    If I only had 1200 I would eat every Damn one of them.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    One or two low days won't hurt you, especially if you're obese and especially if you're only under by 100. Too many days that are too low (especially if protein is low as well) can result in excessive muscle loss and can also be a slippery slope towards eating disorders.
  • AmberCarr
    AmberCarr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had quite a bit of protein today, maybe that is why I am not hungry. My lunch and dinner was left over baked beef tips. I will probably get hungry in a few hours and want a midnight snack! HMMMMM should I? Oh and Susanna......... I hate to actually admit it but yes I am obese! My wii fit tells me every time I get on it! I need to loose 20 pounds just to get out of the obese section! I am trying!!! PLEASE let it be this time!
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Try not to focus only on the calories you are consuming but the quality of the calories, especially if you are doing some serious exercising. It is important for you to eat a balanced diet. Some food are very high in calories but provide next to no nutrients to your muscles. Also, some of the yummiest foods are so high in sodium but offer no potassium to balance it out. There is so much more to eating properly than just your calorie count. So, look at the foods you are eating and start tracking more than just your calories.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have had quite a bit of protein today, maybe that is why I am not hungry. My lunch and dinner was left over baked beef tips. I will probably get hungry in a few hours and want a midnight snack! HMMMMM should I? Oh and Susanna......... I hate to actually admit it but yes I am obese! My wii fit tells me every time I get on it! I need to loose 20 pounds just to get out of the obese section! I am trying!!! PLEASE let it be this time!

So was I, just FWIW!
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I agree, you can lose weight just by keeping your calorie intake below your calorie expenditure, but obviously that would never be the way to go. Unless you are trying to lose that last 5 pounds. But, the name of this site is my "fitness" pal for a reason. Being fit and healthy is more important than your actual weight. Most people I've met on MFP would agree that their ultimate goal is to get to a healthy weight and achieve a healthier life style.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I agree. And I'd lick the plate they came on.
  • emirandah
    emirandah Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I agree. And I'd lick the plate they came on.

This was me two months ago... I've since raised my calories, but there are still days I count out wheat crackers or baby carrots until I'm exactly at my limit.

Anyway, echo of the rest--if you're not hungry, you don't need to eat. One day below your goal isn't going to hurt, just don't make it a habit.
  • AmberCarr
    AmberCarr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well today I am hungry! I had to have 2 snacks already today! No worries, I am not over my calories and am eating sensibly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to throw off my groove if I didn't eat all the calories, everything seems fine. I need to drink more water today! Now that I think about it, yesterday I drank ALOT of water and today I have not had as much!