Why did I get a upset stomach drinking hot green tea?

Options
Is there anything I can add to not give me a upset stomach?
I heard lemon and honey would work

I know green tea has many benifits, so I would like to keep it healthy

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Some people get an upset stomach if they drink caffeine on an empty stomach. Could you be one of these people?
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me if I drink strong brewed green tea on an empty stomach. Cut it with some water.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ginger may also help.... Was your stomach empty? I get an upset stomach sometimes when I drink plain water on an empty stomach. Bad enough to make me throw up sometimes. Sometimes other cold beverages. Bodies are weird, man.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If I drink strong green tea on an empty stomach I will throw up. So, it needs to be steeped less.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Warm fluids can also stimulate digestion for some people which leads to a quick trip to the restroom, if that is the kind of upset stomach you had.
  • Mr_AH
    Mr_AH Posts: 32
    Options
    You might be steeping it too long or you squeezed the tea bag (or however you made it) to get that last remaining bit out.

That can cause problems for some people. It's recommended you don't squeeze the tea bag (or squeeze the leaves).

If I do anyone of those I get an upset stomach. Also I find if I have green tea after not drinking it for a while it can take me a while to get gastronomically readjusted to it.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can only take green tea after I eat. I will get sick if I try on an empty stomach.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Strong tea on an empty stomach can be upsetting, but also check the tea to make sure it's still fresh. If moisture has gotten in the stored tea, it can grow mold. If the tea is older than 6 months, it should probably be replaced, unless it's an aged, fermented tea like Pu-er.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I get an upset stomach from tea. I think it has to do with Tannins. brewing it lightly is ok, brewing it for a long time nausea. I prefer coffee as a general rule because of this
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Was it Jasmine Green Tea? If you have pollen allergies, this can affect you if you drink it. I have this problem. I can drink plain green tea, but any time I drink jasmine green tea, it upsets my stomach.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I get it too. And I need to eat something with it typically. Or a splash of milk helps.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Especially on an empty stomach, often drinking anything makes my tummy a bit off for a bit. And if it's hot, it's even worse. Maybe eat something first?

I personally can't stand the taste of green tea.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Any kind of caffeinated tea on an empty stomach used to make me feel sick as a dog. I know you don't have an appetite when you feel that way, but force yourself to eat even a little something and you'll start feeling better.

I get this way with multivitamins, too.

Worst stomach pain ever was when I took my vitamins one morning and chased with tea, no food. Awful pain.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'd call your Life Insurance provider and ask if your beneficiary has recently upped the payout.
    aapcclogo.jpg
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's extremely common to get nauseous from hot tea on an empty stomach. If you add milk to the tea or eat something, even a very tiny bit, it tends to prevent it. Or, drink less tea, like half a cup at a time.