Italian chicken recipes?

Options
ocean26
ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
My family is very italian and usually they make chicken by dipping it in egg, breadcrumbs, frying it in olive oil, and making it really unhealthy. What are some alternative italian or any chicken recipes good for a family gettogether? (they wont do the cornflakes breading or anything like that)

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    We do something really similar - just without the oil and frying. Coat the chicken in egg (you can use just the whites), and panko breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven - move up and broil at the end to give the chicken that crispy, fried texture.
  • KittMahan
    Options
    Simple but elegant peasant style...

Take chicken breast, braise in very small quantity of good olive oil (<1 tsp), with a touch of garlic and oregano. Near the end splash with lemon juice.

After, I cut mine in small bite sized chunks and dip into a homemade spaghetti sauce (nonfat, no oil) and savor every bite. One half chicken breast done this way equals maybe 120 calories, add a lean green salad with vinaigrette for a total meal of 150-160 calories and yum it's good...
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have found a wealth of good, low-cal chicken recipes on www.allrecipes.com. There are several, as early posters commented, where breadcrumbs can be used in the oven to provide the texture more akin to fried. Lots of different options and flavors out there. I have found some nice grilling rubs and marinades on there as well. I can have chicken salad for days in a row without ever having the same flavors.

--Carter
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    This is a hungry girl recipe for Chicken parm!! I havent tried it yet but I actually plan to next week...I'm sure you could sub chicken for the eggplant!!!

When we brought a beauteous eggplant (purple is pretty!) back to the HG HQ to make a better-for-you version of eggplant parmesan, we weren't the only ones excited -- our Fiber One practically jumped into the blender and blended itself into breadcrumbs (okay, slight exaggeration there). This super-cheesy, sauced-up dish is SO good, we devoured it in seconds. In fact, we're lucky we snapped this pic in time. That yummy portion you see pictured was inhaled seconds later. BTW, this one is so guilt-free and good for you, feel free to indulge a little and eat a couple of servings at a time (that's what we've been doing!).

Ingredients:
    1 large eggplant
    1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 large egg whites)
    1 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original); ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency in the blender
    1 cup canned tomato sauce w/ Italian flavoring (such as Hunt's Tomatoes Sauce with Basil, Garlic & Oregano)
    1 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese 1/4 cup reduced-fat grated parmesan-style topping
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    Optional: dried Italian seasonings (basil, oregano, etc.)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice ends off of eggplant, and cut it lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips. Use a paper towel to blot eggplant slices on both sides (to remove excess moisture). Spray a large baking pan with nonstick spray. Season crumbs with garlic powder, salt, pepper and, if you like, additional seasonings. Coat eggplant slices on both sides -- first with egg whites, and then with Fiber One crumbs. Place slices flat on the baking pan, and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Then, flip slices over and bake until browned on both sides (about 10 minutes longer). Remove pan from oven, but leave oven on. Spread 1/4 cup of sauce over the bottom of an 8" X 8" baking dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray. Arrange half of the baked eggplant slices evenly over the sauce. Continue to layer ingredients evenly in this order: sauce (1/4 cup), mozzarella and parm topping (half of each), sauce (1/4 cup), eggplant (remaining slices), sauce (1/4 cup), and cheeses (remaining amounts). Cover dish with foil and return to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, or until heated throughout. Allow to cool slightly, and then cut into quarters. Enjoy! MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 generous portion (1/4th of recipe)
    Calories: 170
    Fat: 2.5g
    Sodium: 872mg
    Carbs: 29g
    Fiber: 13g
    Sugars: 5g
    Protein: 15g
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Do a search for "saltimbocca alla pollo" for a number of varieties that you may be able to lighten up a little bit. I learnt to make rolled up chicken escalopes (half a chicken breast, beaten really thin) with a slice of ham and sage inside the other day. Roll up, put toothpicks through it to hold together, fry in olive oil. Not really really light, but you can eat only one (about 200 cal, not counting any side dishes).

Also, I found chicken cacciatore recipes may be rather light, and delicious!
  • sewele
    sewele Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I dont have the recipe with me but there is a recipe called paprika "fried" chicken. LOVE IT! Uses saltines and greek yogurt.