Ladies: are u able to lift same during TOM

Options
Are u able to lift same weight,rep, sets at that time of the month? For some reason I feel a bit sluggish today, luckily I lift tomorrow.
Been lifting since jan and never felt like this sluggish...what usually happens to ur lifting sessions? Love to know.

Replies

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Cardio suffers, lifting suffers, work suffers,

My body just doesn't want to do anything, or at least, not with any grace or speed. I go a bit easier on it at TOM. More so to save time. It can take me an additional 20% more time to do anything for a day or two at TOM.

Sometimes being a woman is ****e.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sorry never had an issue with that...

The only time I feel sluggish is when my food intake is crap or too little.
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow...feels gud to know I am not in the boar alone.:smile:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I swear I'm stronger and better at lifting during my TOM. It probably has something to do with the increased levels of misandrist rage :laugh:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Some months the first day or so its seems harder but I battle on.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I have never noticed a difference to be honest.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I might be completely alone in saying this, but I actually avoid exercise for 3 days at TOTM. combination of cramps and feeling light headed make the gym not a nice place to be. I actually passed out a couple of months back with hot flush & pain - I wasn't working out, just standing in a shop que - very embarrassing:-/

On the rare occasion I did go to the gym at TOTM - I would feel bloated, dizzy and generally yuk......I wouldn't get a good workout, so it just seemed pointless. Don't get me wrong, I would never miss a days work with it, but I don't see the point in making myself feel even more dreadful, just to prove a point to myself.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I can actually lift more during TOM.. Weird but true. Maybe it's just me though :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I can actually lift more during TOM.. Weird but true. Maybe it's just me though :laugh:

^^^ I was going to say this.... usually I don't notice a difference but if anything I can lift more
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Nothing changes in me. Yes I have cramps but midol takes care of that.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    yes I can lift the same amount but i want to cry all the way through it, it s an emotional roller coaster.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Weirdly I was going to post a similar thread to this. I'm sure I can lift more then, but I find that my cardio suffers at TOTM - I get exhausted after about 10 minutes of running whereas I can easily run for half an hour at other times in my cycle.

I'm sure I once read about differing hormone levels meaning certain times of the cycle are "better" for strength and certain are better for cardio, but I'm not sure if this is BS or not. Has anyone else heard similar?
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow...interesting
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I had my best run of all time on the first day (when I have the worst cramps), and I think I've set a PR. And then I've also been stuck on the toilet or no energy or rescheduling PR attempts to deal with it.

I think like everything else in life you have good days and bad days and they're not always attributable to the same things.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Weirdly I was going to post a similar thread to this. I'm sure I can lift more then, but I find that my cardio suffers at TOTM - I get exhausted after about 10 minutes of running whereas I can easily run for half an hour at other times in my cycle.

I'm sure I once read about differing hormone levels meaning certain times of the cycle are "better" for strength and certain are better for cardio, but I'm not sure if this is BS or not. Has anyone else heard similar?

in women, testosterone levels are constant (albeit quite a lot lower than men's testosterone levels) while other hormones (progesterone, estrogen) rise and fall at different times of the month. When the actual menstration period starts, both progesterone and estrogen levels are low. While testosterone levels are not actually higher in absolute terms, they are higher than the progesterone and estrogen levels at that time, i.e. relatively higher. this *may* result in better athletic performance. but if you're feeling crap because of cramps that's probably going to have a much greater negative effect on performance than any marginal increased from having relatively higher testosterone.

I've only heard this theorised, not seen any actual studies on it. maybe there have been studies that I don't know about.
  • jobegone
    jobegone Posts: 91
    Options
    yes I can lift the same amount but i want to cry all the way through it, it s an emotional roller coaster.
    [/quote
    This made me laugh cuz it just sums that couple of day before I'm due up perfectly!!!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

in women, testosterone levels are constant (albeit quite a lot lower than men's testosterone levels) while other hormones (progesterone, estrogen) rise and fall at different times of the month. When the actual menstration period starts, both progesterone and estrogen levels are low. While testosterone levels are not actually higher in absolute terms, they are higher than the progesterone and estrogen levels at that time, i.e. relatively higher. this *may* result in better athletic performance. but if you're feeling crap because of cramps that's probably going to have a much greater negative effect on performance than any marginal increased from having relatively higher testosterone.

I've only heard this theorised, not seen any actual studies on it. maybe there have been studies that I don't know about.

Thanks - this makes sense.

*wanders off to google like I should have done yesterday before posting...*
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    For me, I have noticed that lifting heavy is psychological. If I believe I can do it, then I can. I feel like I'm building mental strength as well as physical lol.

During TOM/PMS, I generally get emotional and feel low so my confidence and therefore my workouts suffer-not because my body is any weaker than any other time during the month. :)