i am about to give up

Options
I lost around 50 lb in 18 months. Now my weight is 180 lb. My goal is 160 lb
I pay attention to the details so i weigh my food, i weigh every thing. If i don't know the calorie for anything i don't eat it.
I did p90x ,insanity and T25. Currently i am doing p90x3. These workouts helped me so much.

I drink plenty of water
I am using polar hrm
i don't cheat
I am trying my best to do every thing right

Since 4 months i am suffering, my weight never moved.
I was eating 2400 cal for two months, burning around 400 (6 times a week) as exercise but didn't lose any lb.
Then, i reduced my cal intake to 2100 for one month , burning 400 cal but my weight is the same.
So I reduced my intake to 1500 for another month and I double my workout so i am burning 600-700 cal, but no more loss.
Now i am hungry all the time, tired and become nervous and depressed (for sure this because i am eating two low).

Now ,I don't believe in calorie in-out any more ,i don't believe in starvation and metabolism any more.

Our bodies are really beyond our understanding.

Male
Age 30
Height - 5' 8"
Weight 180 lb

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Just because your weight doesn't go down does not mean you aren't burning fat. Your body can retain a lot of water especially during intense exercise and I have my suspicions that upon fat loss your fat cells start retaining water as well only to eventually shed it. I have no idea from your post how long you have been at this or how long you stuck to those calorie deficit phases but it was definitely a mistake to drop yourself to 1500 calories a day exercising as much as you are and you should return to 2400 or at least 2100.

What is your actual goal exactly? It can't be just a number on the scale can it? Are you looking for a certain asthetic look? A particular percent bodyfat? A strength goal? Why are you so focused on the number 160?
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What about your measures?
    Do you (or, better, some friend) see that you actually look different, more fit, slimmer?
    What do tell you your clothes?
    Did you take "before" pics as to compare with how are you now?

There is not only the scale to see our results.
    You did a lot of work till now, don't waste it!

And, yes, you are feeling nervous and depressed also for the too low calorie intake...

Don't give up!
  • zellturtle
    zellturtle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are feeling so down!

Could you give yourself a mental break for a month by eating at your maintenance calories? Just make sure to keep logging! Maybe after a month you'll think of some other approach.

I think you're right though that our bodies are a mystery sometimes...
  • chandra2802
    chandra2802 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Why give up? why waste all the time and effort you have put into lossing 50lbs?!?! Weight loss is a marathon. You have to keep going keep trying. I agree with aaron. Dont drop your calories so low just because you dont see a difference. Your body needs those calories to keep doing the workouts your doing. Change up your routine, change around the foods you eat. Enjoy your current weight loss and keep going. Eventually weightloss slows down. Most people say.. first 20lbs comes off so easy.. its that last 20 thats a pain in the *kitten*. So keep with it. Remind yourself of all the dedication you have put in. Once you hit your goal weight your not going to give up right? Be proud of yourself and your body.
  • DerROK
    DerROK Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You dropped your calories to 1500......

I wonder why?

Your nutrition requirements of Protein, Carbs and Fat are very important and that will determine your body composition working out as hard as you say you are.

I would recommend reading Will Brink's "Body Building Revealed" or "Fat Loss Revealed" to understand the importance of nutrition in reaching your goal: coz you have indeed 'hit the nail on the head' by realising a calorie is not just any old calorie from what ever food you feel like.
    http://www.brinkzone.com/

If you don't want to buy a book from an internationally acknowledged author, Scooby's Home Workout's on the internet has a very good foc nutrition advice section that will again explain the importance of macro (and micro) nutrients in getting the body you want: not just calories in and calories out.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/nutrition/

Good Luck :smile:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I am sorry you are feeling so down!

Could you give yourself a mental break for a month by eating at your maintenance calories? Just make sure to keep logging! Maybe after a month you'll think of some other approach.

This is not a bad idea. If you are exhausted and frustrated perhaps you should "treat" yourself by determining what your current maintenance level is. Ease up off the exercise, do maybe half what you have been doing, and eat more. Then after a rest period perhaps you can go back to it and start seeing gains again.
  • elljay91
    elljay91 Posts: 19
    Options
    Maybe take a look on here to find out your calories? :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I drink plenty of water
    I am using polar hrm
    i don't cheat

Right now i'm wondering about myself also... I went down to 86kg and this week i'm back up to 88kg... I haven't done anything differently.. other then start a gym program... I can't believe that it is muscle weight.... especially since I have only gone three times...

I did increase my calories and while the cardio is about the same... because i'm trying to lose my last 7kg but i figured i needed the extra protein...

I would suggest... like me.. you should just keep on going and stop worrying about it... take a break from the diet.. just eat healthy and continue to exercise lightly... don't even look at the scale... and after the month is over... hit the diet again hard... see what happens...
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem possible. Have you been to the doctor?

Do you count alcohol, juice, coffee, tea, soda, etc? Do you eat out?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I drink plenty of water
    I am using polar hrm
    i don't cheat

Right now i'm wondering about myself also... I went down to 86kg and this week i'm back up to 88kg... I haven't done anything differently.. other then start a gym program... I can't believe that it is muscle weight.... especially since I have only gone three times...

I did increase my calories and while the cardio is about the same... because i'm trying to lose my last 7kg but i figured i needed the extra protein...

I would suggest... like me.. you should just keep on going and stop worrying about it... take a break from the diet.. just eat healthy and continue to exercise lightly... don't even look at the scale... and after the month is over... hit the diet again hard... see what happens...

If you started weight lifting after not having weight lifted for a long time the muscles will tend to get a little sore and retain a lot of water. A 2 kg weight gain is completely explainable by water retention due to use of your muscles. I wouldn't worry about it man, its not fat and its not muscle....not over that amount of time, it is just water.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I drink plenty of water
    I am using polar hrm
    i don't cheat

None of this is relevant if you arent actually eating at a calorie deficit.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    The last time I plateau'd I took diet break and ate at maintenance for 3 weeks. I did keep logging and exercising. When I started at a deficit again, the scale started moving, albeit more slowly than before. Some say it is beneficial to the metabolism-- maybe. However, it was definitely good for my brain to take an occasional diet break when you have been eating at a deficit long term.
  • albajrai
    albajrai Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just because your weight doesn't go down does not mean you aren't burning fat. Your body can retain a lot of water especially during intense exercise and I have my suspicions that upon fat loss your fat cells start retaining water as well only to eventually shed it. I have no idea from your post how long you have been at this or how long you stuck to those calorie deficit phases but it was definitely a mistake to drop yourself to 1500 calories a day exercising as much as you are and you should return to 2400 or at least 2100.

What is your actual goal exactly? It can't be just a number on the scale can it? Are you looking for a certain asthetic look? A particular percent bodyfat? A strength goal? Why are you so focused on the number 160?

I know it is a mistake , I read and i am still reading a lot of articles and some books in diet and health. I just want to break this number 180 lb. If i return to 2100 - 2400 or even more i am sure i will not gain weight. But doing same things i did it in previous 4 months will not help.

My goal is to lose more fat ..my current BF is 18% .. my goal is 10%.

I am focusing on 160 because it is my ideal weight i guess. If adding more muscles to 160 lb no problem for sure.
  • albajrai
    albajrai Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What about your measures?
    Do you (or, better, some friend) see that you actually look different, more fit, slimmer?
    What do tell you your clothes?
    Did you take "before" pics as to compare with how are you now?

There is not only the scale to see our results.
    You did a lot of work till now, don't waste it!

And, yes, you are feeling nervous and depressed also for the too low calorie intake...

Don't give up!

My friends see that i am slimmer and look better. But the truth is that my measurements are the same since 4 months. If my measurements are improving i will not really write this post. Actually i start thinking seriously that i may have a medical issue :(
  • Ryanmac197
    Options
    You have to look at things in balance. How long have you been training to lose fat without taking a break? (fat not weight!) What is your macro-nutrient breakdown percentages? How hard do you train and how often? Do you mix up nutritional intake between training days and non training days? Do you get enough water ? (How much is plenty?) How high is salt / sodium intake? Do you eat clean or do you add anything in just to make up calorie intake? How much Cardio v weight training do you do? these are some of the questions I would ask myself in your position.

What I do keep seeing on here is calorie deficit, calorie deficit, calorie deficit all the time. Well I am sorry it is not always about calorie deficit. Training and nutritional intake should be done in phases or periodised. Fat loss isn't and will never be a quick fix. Healthy eating and physical exercise should become part of your lifestyle not just a passing fad, so don't give up (be persistent). Take a step back and analyse what you have done so far, congratulate yourself on what you have achieved. Rest, recover and give yourself a chance to enjoy the new body you have now at this time.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Give up ...or don't give up .. it's your choice.

Look, you know the health benefits of being fit and the right weight. So take a deep breath, have a word with yourself and get back on it.

If you want hugs ... get a puppy :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I would maintain for a while so you don't give up, you've come too far to give it up!
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options

If you started weight lifting after not having weight lifted for a long time the muscles will tend to get a little sore and retain a lot of water. A 2 kg weight gain is completely explainable by water retention due to use of your muscles. I wouldn't worry about it man, its not fat and its not muscle....not over that amount of time, it is just water.

I was kind of figuring that also....
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes you can give up that's your choice or you could try and see whats going on. If you open your diary people may be able to give more specific logging advice. Or you can wallow in self pity and undo all the work you've done. Your choice
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    A few things..

Your diary is closed. So there's no supporting evidence of your accuracy. You are possibly retaining water due to your new workout plan. Also you have not said how long you stay at the reduced level before you decide to cut again. If you insist that your measurements are the same then you aren't in a deficit so either your food logging isn't accurate or your calories burned from exercise are too high.

"Maybe" you have a medical condition but make sure that your not just using that as an excuse. .considering that you managed to lose 50 lbs I'm more likely to think that there isn't anything medically wrong with you but I'm not a doctor.

Open your diary and we'll see.