milks what is best for you?

Options

Replies

• mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options

The majority of humans are not able to drink cow's milk; they are lactose intolerant because the gene to use lactose shuts off. A minority have a mutation that allows us to continue to drink it without ill effects.

Wow that’s neat literally everyone I have ever met(in person) is in a minority….

i :heart:ichzbgr_zps3d70acba.gif its best IMO
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Seriously,

"The majority of humans are not able to drink cow's milk; they are lactose intolerant because the gene to use lactose shuts off. A minority have a mutation that allows us to continue to drink it without ill effects."

This is just false.

I personally prefer 1% cows milk.

Have you done any research. The norm for humans is lactose intolerance. Most people throughout the world are lactose intolerant. Many westerners have a mutation that allows us to drink milk past childhood. But that is not the case in much of the world. Look it up.

Please provide some citations to this??
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use a slimline cows milk in my tea - partially because it has added Iron and I wanted to increase my Iron intake.

I also use unsweetened almond milk for smoothies and on my cereal at breakfast - it tastes nice and is low in calories.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Have you done any research. The norm for humans is lactose intolerance. Most people throughout the world are lactose intolerant. Many westerners have a mutation that allows us to drink milk past childhood. But that is not the case in much of the world. Look it up.
    This was not directed at me, but I'll field it. Even wikipedia is fine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance#Lactase_persistence
    Subsequent research revealed that intolerance was more common globally than lactase persistence,[61][62][63][64][65] and that the variation was genetic.[56][66]
    This also explains why you perceive it as less common than it really is.
    Mind you, if you metabolize dairy just fine it's not unhealthy for you.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Sigh...

WHITE PEOPLE are mostly lactase-persistent, meaning most white folks can drink milk without problems.

NON-WHITE PEOPLE are mostly lactose-intolerant.

The majority of people around the world are not white, therefore it IS TRUE that the MAJORITY of people are lactose intolerant.

K?
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    This was not directed at me, but I'll field it. Even wikipedia is fine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance#Lactase_persistence
    Subsequent research revealed that intolerance was more common globally than lactase persistence,[61][62][63][64][65] and that the variation was genetic.[56][66]
    This also explains why you perceive it as less common than it really is.
    Mind you, if you metabolize dairy just fine it's not unhealthy for you.

Wikipedia really isn't the most reliable source of information. Unfortunately, anyone can post anything in Wikipedia. Sometimes postings are made without any type of citation at all or the sources cited are unreliable, as well. Do any peer-reviewed sources regarding your claims of lactose intolerance exist? I've looked and can't find any.

I can drink cow's milk and goat's milk I just hate the taste and prefer either unsweetened almond, rice or soy milk. I do eat cow's and goat's milk cheese, though, ice cream made out of cow's milk, etc., without any problems.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Do any peer-reviewed sources regarding your claims of lactose intolerance exist? I've looked and can't find any.
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/10/36

Incidentally, saying "white = milk good, non-white = milk bad" is a gross oversimplification. Lactase persistence is common in some Middle Eastern and African populations whereas lactose intolerance is common in many areas of southern Europe.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice regional breakdown. Northern India is a good example of a non-white population where lactose tolerance is the norm, but yes globally most people are lactose intolerant.

http://milk.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000661
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Do any peer-reviewed sources regarding your claims of lactose intolerance exist? I've looked and can't find any.
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/10/36

Incidentally, saying "white = milk good, non-white = milk bad" is a gross oversimplification. Lactase persistence is common in some Middle Eastern and African populations whereas lactose intolerance is common in many areas of southern Europe.

of course it's oversimplified, but all these white people on forums saying "i'm not lactose intolerant! therefore most people must not be lactose intolerant!" need it simple. :P
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer unsweetened vanilla or regular almond milk. I haven't attempted to drink it alone, but I add it to my oatmeal and protein shakes. I typically cook with and drink skim milk, but there's no real reason for that - you could easily use almond milk for everything. You simply can't beat 30 calories per cup unless you're going to use water - and water in oatmeal is gross.
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i drink cream and butter mixed with water.
  • TheGoodEmu
    TheGoodEmu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of short audio commentaries from a podcast that i found informative:

1) Milk Is A Natural Food, And Cows Naturally Give Milk, So What’s Wrong With Drinking It?
    "Cow’s milk is indeed a natural food – for calves! ... Our consumption of cow’s milk is even more absurd when you consider that calves stop drinking cow’s milk when they’re weaned, and humans stop drinking human milk when they’re weaned, but somehow we’ve all been convinced that humans should continue drinking cow’s milk – and never wean."

http://www.compassionatecook.com/writings/podcast-media/milk-is-a-natural-food-and-cows-naturally-give-milk-so-whats-wrong-with-drinking-it-2

2) Where Do I Get My Calcium If I Don’t Drink Cow’s Milk?
    "Cow’s milk contains calcium because cows eat grass. Calcium is a mineral that comes from the ground, which means, like grass, all green leafy vegetables are teeming with this nutrient. Let’s explore the rationale behind human adults drinking another animal’s milk when we don’t even drink our own species’ milk into adulthood..."

http://www.compassionatecook.com/writings/podcast-media/where-do-i-get-my-calcium-if-i-dont-drink-cows-milk-2

Hope this is helpful!

PS - I prefer unsweetened almond milk. 35 calories, plenty of calcium and other good stuff, for only 35 cals. Daily soy milk hurts my tummy.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I personally do not drink cows milk, never liked the taste makes me gag, and my middle child is the same way she won't drink it at all, never did as a baby either. My youngest drinks almond milk, it's ok I still can't drink it straight. I did try almond/coconut milk and it is pretty good, so I am going to try that in my protein shake see how it tastes.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i drank vanilla almond milk in my coffee and smoothies for years, but i recently switched back to 1% or 2% organic cow's milk. everyone has their own opinion (with evidence to back it up) on this, so i say do what works for you. vanilla almond milk has more sugar and less protein than cow's milk, and i was using more of it in my coffee b/c it isn't creamy like cow's milk (in my opinion). i'm trying to reduce my overall sugar, so this switch worked for me. i also don't have any problem digesting dairy, so no worries there.

comparing all the nutrition in the different kinds of cow's milk, skim has more sugar, less fat, and less protein than 1% and 2%, while whole milk has more calories and fat, but not more protein. 1% and 2% are pretty equal in terms of nutrition, but i like 2% better so i usually go with that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I drink almond and cow milk.

2% or whole. none of that skim chit.

If you were on an island left to die- you could probably survive off of milk and cereal- you get a great deal of what you need out of them.

Great protein in milk- rubbish talk about only calves drink milk- calves and peoples. People have been drinking milk for years and years. Goats, horse- cow- whatever they had- Mongolians SPECIFICALLY kept mares around to milk to drink. If Genghis Khan could conquor more than the Roman Empire did on mares milk- I think it's that's a pretty good study on "it's fine"

If it makes you sick- don't drink it.

If you like it- and it doesn't make you sick- drink it. -

one of them are "best" for you- the one you like that makes you happy and not sick is "best" for you. period. plain and simple.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I love cow's milk for the taste and protein. I'll use almond milk instead of water for my protein shakes and maybe for baking. Cow's milk and chocolate soy are pretty much the only milks I drink straight up.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Kroger carbmaster skim milk, lactose free, 11 g of protein and only 60 cals a cup!!
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Fear mongering with cows milk I see.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Kroger carbmaster skim milk, lactose free, 11 g of protein and only 60 cals a cup!!
    I drink HEB Mootopia...similar product. The chocolate is off the chain...