Tricky!

Options
BoxerBrawler
BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
So I was all excited about the different Pam and other brand spray oils e.g., olive oil, butter flavored, etc. In big bright letters and even on the nutritional label it indicates zero calories. So how cool is that? I can have butter (tasting) popcorn without the calories and oil and salt and all that crap. So here I am scarfing down my night time bowl of air popped pop corn after having sprayed the hell out of it with Pam butter flavored spray. In my glory and taking a better look at the can when.... OMG :noway:

Yup... a one second spray is zero calories.
Two to three seconds (or some bull****) and you're up to ten calories
Three to five, you're up to fifteen calories and the kller... Five seconds and over is like 25 calories and so on and so on and so on...

I was so mad. Here I am eating this crap thinking one thing and I am consuming 25 to 50 additional calories that I wasn't even aware of. And I always read my labels but this was not on the actual nutritional label, this one is in a little grid under the label.

Jeez.....

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    it's OIL. Of course it's not zero calories no matter how much you use. Even a 1 second spray is technically not zero calories, they just get to say that due to FDA labeling regulation loopholes. You can rely on nutritional labels sure but use some common sense too..
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Marketing works because .. There's one born every minute :-p
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    That's why you use multiple short sprays. 0 cals x 5 sprays is still 0 cals. Let math work for you :happy:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Hahaha... funny.

But seriously though I am not stupid. I just didn't think it was actual OIL. I figured it was just some chemical agent pretending to be oil LOL
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hahaha... funny.

But seriously though I am not stupid. I just didn't think it was actual OIL. I figured it was just some chemical agent pretending to be oil LOL

And this is good for you how? Use a little bit of real butter. WAY healthier for you in the long run, and it actually tastes good in the meantime.
  • becksxxx70
    becksxxx70 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    That's why you use multiple short sprays. 0 cals x 5 sprays is still 0 cals. Let math work for you :happy:
    Hahaha.......this was my logic with chocolate buttons the other day. Individually, they didn't weigh enough to show up on the scale!!
    Zero grams = calorie free chocolate! Yay!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a chocolate bar anyway....
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I just use real butter! It tastes way better!
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hahaha.......this was my logic with chocolate buttons the other day. Individually, they didn't weigh enough to show up on the scale!!
    Zero grams = calorie free chocolate! Yay!

Exactly! And if it's not in the MFP database, it's a free food!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hahaha... funny.

And this is good for you how? Use a little bit of real butter. WAY healthier for you in the long run, and it actually tastes good in the meantime.

I agree. Stop using fake stuff over the real stuff thinking your saving yourself a few calories.

The real thing (butter in this case) has nutrients and fat that the body can use.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

I like that math :drinker:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    25 to 50 extra calories, oh noooz!!!
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Hahaha... funny.

which is better? lol
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hahaha... funny.

I agree. Stop using fake stuff over the real stuff thinking your saving yourself a few calories.

The real thing (butter in this case) has nutrients and fat that the body can use.

It's not like we'd get nutrients and fat anywhere else over the course of a day
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I would rather find alternatives and save on the calories, sorry... :smile:
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    -stops frying fish for a minute-

I see...
    50 calories.

-goes back to pan frying her fish in water-
    Yes, water >.>
  • tanyaelise
    Options
    Marketing works because .. There's one born every minute :-p

Ah-hahaha.... Yeah occasionally they get me too. But I did see something in the news about a month or two ago that " The FDA is
    proposing to update the Nutrition Facts label found on most food..."

and not a minute too soon. Who eats 1/4-1/2 a cup or icecream... please
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Exactly!
    There is no way I could eat 1/4 of a cup of cereal either. If I am going to eat cereal you might as well just say good bye to the entire box! hahahahaha...
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    -stops frying fish for a minute-

I see...
    50 calories.

-goes back to pan frying her fish in water-
    Yes, water >.>

Hey, to each their own. Some folks don't count calories at all, others do. What works for me doesn't work for all. I like counting, I am a counter and yeah, I'll skip on the 100 plus calories for oil, even healthy oil so that I can have those calories worth of dark chocolate thank you very much. Pick and choose sister... :happy: