Ab exercises while standing up?

Options
Hi everyone.

I am after a bit of advice. I am unable to do most of the exercises that require you to be on your back.

I can do normal crunches just fine - but as soon as i do anything that requires me to lift 1 or both legs off the floor it pushes the base of my spine into the floor which results in horrendous pain.

I have read on a few websites that you can do the bicycle crunch standing up? Does anyone know if this is actually effective?

Also do you have any other suggestions for exercises i could do without having to lie down?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yeah it's called a steam engine- I don't particularly like them.

planks?
    renegegade rows
    superman planks
    russian twists
    decline sit upts on the bench?
    cable crunchs
    hanging leg raises
    plank up downs
    weight drags
    mountain climbers
    push ups variations- single leg- moving- jumping- walking- turn over push ups
    side bends with weight
  • scrittenden
    scrittenden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well that gives me some to go on with lol!

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Squats really challenge my abs, and deadlifts usually make my obliques sore.

I like to multitask.
  • scrittenden
    scrittenden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • jolodo
    jolodo Posts: 24
    Options
    Jessica Smith has a standing abs workout on youtube. It's about 30 mins long and worth doing.
  • captainamy11
    captainamy11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really appreciated this post! I've had both of my knees scoped and there's NO WAY I'm getting on the floor to do anything anymore. Finding ways to exercise without having to do that is essential to me. I appreciated the you tube links and the posts about other "upright" exercises! Thanks!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith has a standing abs workout on youtube. It's about 30 mins long and worth doing.
    I've done this a few times and it's very good. It's somehow ballet-inspired. Standing abs exercises are pretty damn effective. Everytime you challenge your balance, you engage your core.
  • FitSquirrelQueen
    Options
    This is going to help so much. Thank you for posting!
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Here's another (longer) one from FitnessBlender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k9fUP7_MWI

Should give you lots of good ideas. :)
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I can come back to reference JoRocka's suggestions later :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Pallof Presses
    Body Saw
  • Candlelite89
    Options
    Bump
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the hanging knee raise and work into the hanging leg raise.

you need something to hang from tho, like a pull up bar. To make it easier on yourself you would want to get slings to put your arms through so you don't actually have to grip the bar.

the ab wheel is also supposed to be very effective.

However, i'm willing to bet that, at least eventually, you will experience the same pain from these exercises.

its not natural to experince pain from crunch, something that should be one of the most gentle forms of core work.

It may represent and imbalance in your core muscles, like your low back is much weeker (or much stronger) then your abs. recommend you do some low back and oblique work to strengthen the whole core and hopefully slove your problem rather then just avoid it.

squats and OHP press and related work will be good for that imbalance too
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Pallof Presses
    Body Saw

I shamefully admit I don't offer up pallof press- that's like my sercret little ab weapon- I share lots of things freely with no reserve- but I adore those the most- and I hate sharing that one for some reason.

I know- I'm shallow. I'm sorry.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    sorry for letting the secret out. :p I adore them as well and they are definitely my favourite abs exercise
  • JoRocka
    Options
    sorry for letting the secret out. :p I adore them as well and they are definitely my favourite abs exercise

LMAO_ it's okay- I shouldn't be stingy- it's not like you can't google this stuff. LOL

I'm such a 5 year old.

I can't do the over head one when you are in line and facing away from the machine- it effs up my elbows- but I do the straight forward variation and the one where you press straight up from the when you are perpendicular to the cable (so very oblique driven). It's so great for balance and also eliminates the need for that stupid carpet sniffing cable crunch.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Pallof Presses
    Body Saw

didn't know thats what they were called.

always thought peeps doing that were sports specific

looks like it would be good for the intercostals
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options

LMAO_ it's okay- I shouldn't be stingy- it's not like you can't google this stuff. LOL

I'm such a 5 year old.

I can't do the over head one when you are in line and facing away from the machine- it effs up my elbows- but I do the straight forward variation and the one where you press straight up from the when you are perpendicular to the cable (so very oblique driven). It's so great for balance and also eliminates the need for that stupid carpet sniffing cable crunch.

Jo, QQ. I just looked this up on youtube quickly, but have a question what does this really engage? I know it's core stabilization, but is this supposed to work anything differently than let's say a plank? or even the plank, I'm not sure what it's called, but the one where you start in push up position, drop down to one elbow then the next then push up and continue rotation? Is the pallof ineffective if the weight isn't challenging? What if it was set at 30lbs vs 80lb..just wondering.