amount of calories

Options
So I am currently 22 and trying to get back into shape. I have been working out now for 6 weeks and have already lost 13 pounds. I am 5'5" and weigh currently 157. I have been trying to stay around 1,200 calories a day. I burn about 500-600 calories each day with my workout. Is 1,200 calories the right amount? I am hoping to lose about 15 more pounds and gain more muscle.

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You'll likely lose weight but you won't gain muscle with that deficit. In fact, you're likely losing a high percentage muscle with your current methods especially if 1200 isn't your net calories. In nearly all cases, you only gain muscle during a calorie surplus. You might get stronger but you won't gain muscle. It's why people go through cut/bulk cycles to put on more muscle.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat your exercise calories back if you are doing 1200. Because if you don't that means you are only getting 600-700 calories a day and that is not good. If you are losing weight at a healthy rate then it's working : ) I would suggest that you get down to the weight that you want then up the calories to maintenance and then starting building muscle.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I really like this thread because it talks you through the two main ways to set your calories (MFP & the TDEE method): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • mfarrington312
    Options
    Awesome thank you guys!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I am currently 22 and trying to get back into shape. I have been working out now for 6 weeks and have already lost 13 pounds. I am 5'5" and weigh currently 157. I have been trying to stay around 1,200 calories a day. I burn about 500-600 calories each day with my workout. Is 1,200 calories the right amount? I am hoping to lose about 15 more pounds and gain more muscle.

MFP gave you the lowest default value.....1200

This is not a reflection of the number of calories your body needs (your height, weight, age, etc).....but rather a reflection of "I want to lose XX pounds a week"

Keep in mind 1200 is a net number....that means if you exercise for 500....you eat 1200+500. This is because MFP gave you a deficit with ZERO exercise. That way people who can't/won't exercise ...still lose weight.

While eating at a deficit your goal should be to MAINTAIN muscle. You can maintain quite a bit of muscle....provided
    1. Your deficit isn't overly large (1200 is likely a large deficit)
    2. You strength train
    3. You eat enough protein

Make sure your weekly weight loss goals are moderate

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range