HELP I'm getting discouraged!!

For the past six weeks I have been working out with kettlebells and my eliptical 20 min a day 6 days a week. I am on a 1300-1400 calorie diet. I weigh 188 and am 5'5. In six weeks I have only lost 5 lbs. This is stressing me out because I feel like it should be more. I know a fast weight loss is not good for you, but this is awefully slow! Please let me know what you think may be holding up the weight loss. Thanks Everyone!

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Make sure you measure yourself as well, you amy not see changes on the scale but you may see them in inches coming off at first. And yes it can be discouraging to not see a difference on the scale. Do you weigh your food? Sometimes you may think that you are within your daily calories but once weighing them will tell a different story, also if you aren't doing it yet make sure you stay on top of your water intake too, that helps a lot with the water weight that you might be holding on to. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    First, 5 pounds in 6 weeks is a good, steady rate of loss. You may not be doing anything wrong other than expecting the process to be faster than it really is.

Would you be willing to open your diary for us to take a look?

How are you measuring your portion sizes? Food scale, measuring cups and spoons, or estimating/eyeballing?

Are you eating back any of your earned exercise calories? If so, what are you using to estimate the calories burned? Gym machine estimates, MFP, a heart rate monitor, etc?
  • Some weight is better than none! Think about how much you will regret stopping and putting those pounds back on. Try to focus on the things that are better (like your stamina, how much harder you have to work to build up a sweat, etc.). Make sure you are getting enough sleep/rest as well to have time to recover. I used to work out 6 days a week a few years ago and got little results for about 8 weeks. Someone told me that I needed to let my body rest and have a cheat day every now and then. When I heeded that advice I lost a few pounds the day after I rested and cheated on my diet.

Change things up in your workouts too. I tried long distance running (I hate running for the hell of it) and weight lifting (boring) and got no results as far as weight. Inches are nice but it still does not change that number on the scale. It is what we obsess over (or maybe it is just me). You can find all kinds of routines on Pinterest that you can do at home or in the gym. That also helped me loose weight. I now to T25 until I get bored with that.

I am sorry if I seem to be everywhere but the point is...DO NOT GIVE UP! It is so easy to just stop and let the scale be the dictator. Have fun, try new things, and compete against yourself.
  • lost**
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the number at this point. If you're training and eating right you are probably changing your body composition even though it doesn't show on the scale.... YET! Keep it up!
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    1 lb a week almost isn't bad. if you want to lose more, you have to more a little more and eat a little less (or instead of eating a little less you should invest in a food scale) so that way you are eating more accurately. We didn't gain weight over night, so we won't get to lose it over night.
  • Alysia82
    Alysia82 Posts: 67 Member
    I recently felt the same way. However, I started to think about all of the other ways working out and the way I approach food have made me feel better.

You may not be seeing it in the scale but you may be seeing it in other areas of your life.