2 YEARS POST C SECTION

Options
I need help/advice on how to lose the fat apron on my belly. This is typical of a csection and I have yet to really try to lose the fat off that area. I am starting by cutting back on gluten/carbs and increasing protein and good fats and fiber. Im also prepping for a 5 k! I love my body otherwise, just needing to lose the excess belly fat. what are some good exercise plans/combos?

Replies

• getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 5 years from my last C and 3 from a hysterectomy and I have the same apron deal going on. HOWEVER, I have just finally noticed a difference (even with needing to lose all this weight still) by increasing my weights, cutting down on the sugars and doing the following:

Jackknife - it's with a stability ball. You get in a plank with the ball around your belly button and your hands either on the ground or you can be on your elbows (my wrists can't take the plank), then engaging your lower abs you "pull" your lower body up over the ball and make a ^, then extend back out as you inhale.

Butterfly crunches - someone else named them, sorry - sit up in a "butterfly" position - feet touching, knees as close to the ground as possible, then lay back. Flatten your back against the floor, hands behind your ears, and then slowly crunch up. This helps get the lower abs as well as the mid/upper abs.

Again, still have it, but for once in a long time I'm starting to see a difference down there. Good Luck :flowerforyou:

EDITED TO ADD: On the jackknife, I go to my knees - I didn't mean to actually stand your feet on the ball to get the ^ shape :smile:
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Certainly try your best, but it is a side effect of cutting into muscle, and for most women it never totally goes away.
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's more an extra skin issue than a fat/muscle issue, and for some women, losing the body fat and increasing muscle will do the trick, but for others, only plastic surgery will fix the "mother's apron." (I really hate that term. Ugh!) The skin elasticity also comes into play because the skin isn't holding the fat the same way it used to. You can do core strengthening exercises and look *better*, but chances are the only thing that's going to get rid of the apron altogether is plastic surgery.
  • PurpleStars73
    Options
    I still have it, and I'm 7 years post c section :cry:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's more an extra skin issue than a fat/muscle issue, and for some women, losing the body fat and increasing muscle will do the trick, but for others, only plastic surgery will fix the "mother's apron." (I really hate that term. Ugh!) The skin elasticity also comes into play because the skin isn't holding the fat the same way it used to. You can do core strengthening exercises and look *better*, but chances are the only thing that's going to get rid of the apron altogether is plastic surgery.

This is what I have heard/read, too. I am finally coming to accept that once I lose the 90 lbs I need to lose - probably nothing but surgury will fix it. It isn't even that bad, but it is this weird saggy-skin thing. I've had two c-sections. One almost a year ago and the other over five years. I was reading about different lipo's they can do that might help. I figure when the time comes, I will need to sit and talk with a Dr about my options. Yuck.
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. I started lifting and that made a huge difference in my body, I'm talking squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc. compound lifts, as with a program like stronglifts 5x5. You cannot target train and lose fat in just one area, but you can alter how your body holds the fat.
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can't target - and I know eventually I'll need surgery to get rid of all of it; however, I have noticed a decrease after doing the above stuff, which at least is something. I think it has to do also with what kind of incision you had and where. I'd actually be okay with it in general - have a friend who is a size 2 and into MMA and still has a slight curve there - but I at least want to get it smaller.
  • Tippydooda
    Options
    thanks ladies! I know I will always have extra skin there since I gained 80 pounds during my pregnancy! LOL but I do have quite a bit of fay hanging out there. :P I wouldnt mind just saggy skin, but it is the fat that needs to go. Ill be sure to start back with the squats lol I fear dead lifts as I have a repaired hernia.....are they still safe to do?