Heavy Lifting to lose belly fat?

Options
Ok what i meant was, for example, I can do 5 sets of 10 reps with a 25lb weight, on the "Row Machine"
(I use different weight machines but I pretty much keep the sets, reps and weight im lifting low in the beginning)
and than build my way up from there?

Replies

• hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Base what your lifting on your form. You need to have proper form to work the appropriate muscles. Regarding belly fat... from personal experience my belly is always flatter when I eat clean and lower my carbs. Everyone is different though so switch up your techniques... abs are made in the kitchen for sure though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    diet to lose fat, weights to retain muscle
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    As already said,

If you want to lose fat you have to eat a calorie deficit.

Lift to retain muscle and increase strength.
  • LadyBoss_1989
    LadyBoss_1989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    decided to up my calories from 1200 to 1500. but still have no idea what my carb, protein and fat intake should be/...
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    To the title question... You only lose belly fat by dropping overall body fat of your body...no other way around it. Lifting heavy or light does nothing for losing belly fat as such but increases calories burned and builds muscle over time. Using lighter (moderate) weight is also useful as long as you engage the muscle with time under tension.

Also for the row machine alongside proper form for the last rep of the set it should feel like you cannot pull it after if you can bump the weight up.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    decided to up my calories from 1200 to 1500. but still have no idea what my carb, protein and fat intake should be/...

Posting this in two threads? What is the deal?
  • LadyBoss_1989
    Options
    Well, been at a calorie deficent for a few months now, i continue to lose weight and but not belly fat.
    and even at my lowest weight I still have a belly
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Your abs will show when your general body fat decreases, which comes from a moderate caloric deficit. How long it takes depends on how you store your fat. If you store it in your stomach, that generally will be the last place you lose it. That said, I got abs from lifting heavy, but what you mentioned is not really heavy lifting.

Heavy weighted squats, deadlifts, and hanging leg raises are what really did it for me, but that's in addition to slow body fat decrease.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, been at a calorie deficent for a few months now, i continue to lose weight and but not belly fat.

Keep in mind, many will train for years to get the body they want. If you want abs, its going to be a combination of your body fat % and your body composition. It's not uncommon that people "aggressively diet" and lose lean body mass during their program. Which in the long run will cause them the need to gain back mass to give them a flatter stomach. The below story is a good demonstration of what body composition and body fat % can be.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • LadyBoss_1989
    Options
    what i described above is just how im starting off, since im new at lifting in general, i plan to increase reps, sets and weight being lifted sooner than later. Not even looking for abs, my goal was to get some fat and lose some inches off my belly in a month.
    I was doing the heavy lifting to lose fat..not get abs.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    what i described above is just how im starting off, since im new at lifting in general, i plan to increase reps, sets and weight being lifted sooner than later. Not even looking for abs, my goal was to get some fat and lose some inches off my belly in a month.

Guess what's under the fat?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was skinny, I lost weight, I still had a belly.
    I started lifting...which is what I should have done to begin with.

It's a combo of things. Calorie deficit isn't going to give you abs if you don't have the body for it. I've been underweight without abs. Strength training isn't going to give you abs if you you're eating to much. Both of them together produce magic. Just don't be one of the folk who does only ab work :/ You can't just target your fat away.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You cannot target specific areas of fat for fat loss. The way your body deposits fat is genetic and it will come off certain areas before others based on those genetics. No machine is going to change that.

If you want to specifically loose "belly fat" you need to lower your body fat percentage until the weight comes off of there. Resistance training will help you get there, though, as it helps with the lean mass side of the BF% equation.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Base what your lifting on your form. You need to have proper form to work the appropriate muscles. Regarding belly fat... from personal experience my belly is always flatter when I eat clean and lower my carbs. Everyone is different though so switch up your techniques... abs are made in the kitchen for sure though.

This is a common phenomenon and lot of people use this as evidence in favor of a low-carb diet. What's really happening, though, is that when you eat fewer carbs you retain less water. Since water is often retained around the "belly" area, it feels like you've lost "belly fat" but really you've just lost water weight.

"Eating clean" generally means consuming a lot less sodium, and that has the same effect.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

if you are new to lifting you should check out some books and do some research. check out new rules of lifting for women, and Starting strength.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    We went over all this in your previous thread.
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    here's a snapshot of what restricting caloric intake while lifting heavy has done for me... my waist is significantly improved

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1247368-5-mnths-of-progress-w-comparison-photo