Yes, I'm small. :)

Options
hi, this is my first post I've started myself on here, so I apologize in advance if I have posted in the wrong spot. I just feel compelled to post this after reading some posts the other day that didn't sit right with me, personally.

This post is not meant to offend, only to hopefully open some eyes.

Yes, I'm small. I have been "underweight" my whole life, with the exception of being in the normal range:
1) while 8 months pregnant, and
2) on my wedding day (they did not make my wedding dress in my size so I had to gain to fit it, and it was NOT healthy the way that I had to eat to acheive that.)
I am not anorexic, nor do I have an eating disorder or some sort of other issue. I would absolutely never, NEVER tell someone who was overweight that I thought they had one of these issues, because I am not a doctor, nor do I think that of them. Everybody's body is different, and handles situations differently. So when I say that it is hurtful to call out someone who is small and watching their calorie intake and tracking their excercises, and tell them they have an eating disorder, please believe that I'm telling the truth.

You see, I'm on here to make sure I am getting enough. Being a new vegetarian, it is hard to visualize calories and protein content, especially now that I have started strength training. Sometimes I'm not getting enough, but I'm trying. My ultimate goal is to be a fit person. I would love to have the abs I had in highschool back. I'm sure everyone can relate to that goal! :)

I do have a weight loss tracker on my profile. Only because if I do lose weight, I'd like to keep track of it, not because that is my actual goal.

At the end of the day, we are all here for our own reasons, and I guess recent posts left me feeling like I had to justify mine. I try to be supportive of everyone's goals, and I guess all I'm asking for is the same in return.

Thanks for listening. It's just hard to feel welcome here, sometimes....
~Courtney

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Feel free to PM me. I'm a vegetarian...have been for 25 years. I'm also very tiny, I did however had an ED and it is now difficult for me to gain weight...which I am trying to do. There are a bunch of vegetarians and vegans on this site and we are more than willing to offer support and advice.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    welcome :)

Whilst I'm here on a weight loss regime, my partner also joined up here with an intention of putting on weight as she too has trouble keeping up a healthy weight and lifestyle/stresses have sidetracked us both from eating properly - but from opposite ends of the scale. The MFP app is a great tool to help us both focus.
  • louramaille
    Options
    Hey you are welcome, its not "mylossweightpal.com" its "myfitnesspal.com" so dont feel like you dont belong. We are all looking for the same thing, Healthy US!!!
    :bigsmile:
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Everybody has their reasons to join and nobody should judge. you have as much right to be here as we all do. so welcome and i will add you so we can support and help each other on our fitness goals.
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I think the important thing is for us all to be healthy, whether that means gaining or losing weight. :happy:
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Welcome! We are all here for the same reason :). Healthy living! If you find that some aren't supportive just ignore them.....you'll find most of us will help you in any way we can :smile:
  • nroesler
    Options
    good on you for knowing what you need (a site to help you) and finding it. you may get some non-posted jelousy from some members who are struggling but it's not your fault or theirs...this is a frustrating process no matter what you are trying to do and being a vegetarian must really complicate things, good luck and I know you'll find the help you need here!
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thank you for the warm welcome everyone :) You've certainly put a smile on my face.

I have tried other programs like myfitnesspal only to find that they lock me out and do not let me use the interface to track measurements or calories because I am underweight, then suggest I talk to my doctor. :laugh: I'm on a first-name basis with my doctor, who has helped me bring two children into the world! It's very aggrivating and I'm glad to have finally found a place that allows me to track my progress:smile:

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
  • shullrd
    Options
    Welcome to the site! I agree with the others that everyone has different needs, but we are all ultimately here to support each other in healthy living. I wish you the best of luck in your goal!
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    I have my ticker set to show a gain in weight... since my goal is to put on more muscle. You can set this in the ticker settings.

I have a thread running in the Fitness Folder for women weightlifters if you are interested in getting some tips on adding muscle.

Good luck with your goals.
  • dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    I agree with everyone... this is a fitness pal... so whatever goals you have, they are legit!!! You wanna be healthy, I wanna be healthy, we all wanna be healthy... so lets do this!:)
    WELCOME!!!!
    Add me if ya like, and we can encourage eachother!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) I'm new too, though I've also used other tracking sites before.

I think some people may have misunderstood you (rather than judge, thankfully!), because on your profile you've put statements such as "I normally consume less than 1000 calories a day to maintain my weight" (which you say is 98lbs), and you have a skinny model which you call your "thinspiration" (a term generally used for individuals with an eating disorder or on a diet).

So, chin up, I think it might just have been a wording issue. You're more than welcome here :) No one's perfect, or we wouldn't be here, hehe :)
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new here, too. I'm trying to lose a few and you're trying to gain a few. No problems! We can do it and we'll be healthier and happier for it. Good luck and feel free to friend me, if you want! We'll work together! :flowerforyou:
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I welcome you here. This is a place for people to come together with one goal in mind... living a healthy lifestyle. It should be a place free of judgment and ridicule. It's important to feel welcome and supported when trying to live a better lifestyle. So if you need any support in your department, feel free to contact me. Good luck and I hope you achieve whatever goals you set out for yourself!
  • wodenite
    Options
    Welcome! I am new here too, and kinda felt out of place because all I want to lose is ten pounds or so. I have been where you are, trying to gain, but now that I am 50 my metabolism must have slowed because I have gained in the last couple years. Now I just want to eat healthy, and maybe re-build as I am out of shape.

3836346.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I don't understand why people think it's ok to criticize someone for being "too thin," but those same people would NEVER think to criticize someone for being overweight. I used to get a lot of flack after my first child was born because I was severely underweight at the time, not from trying, but because the baby nursed a lot and I wasn't able to eat enough to keep up with demand. I actually had a falling out with someone after repeated comments about how I looked like a skeleton and how I should "eat a sandwich" (when the truth was I could put away a footlong cheesesteak and a bag of chips and head to the fridge for more). It's hurtful, and in some ways I think it's a bit more damaging because while most people will sympathize with someone who is self-conscious about being overweight, nobody has sympathy for a girl who's thin. There's no support system for that particular issue.

Anyway, that's the long version of me saying, welcome to the site, glad you're here, and I think you'll find some good support here. :) It's a great community.