90 days later and no lost inches....

Options
i finally started eating clean and exercising Jan 5, 2014. I've completely cut out processed foods, sugar, and soda. I do occasionally have a cheat meal once a week. I CrossFit 5-6 days a week, so there's a combination of lifting and cardio. I eat every 2 hours to keep my metabolism up. Usually a meal will look like this for me:

8am - 1/2 cup Gluten Free Oatmeal with cinnamon and 1 tbsp PB
10am - Handful of Pecans OR a protein bar
12pm - Shake
2pm - Carrots with Hummus or maybe a Gluten Free Rice Cake with 1 tbsp of PB
4pm - 4oz Chicken or Tilapia with Asparagus or Broccoli

I'll work out normally between 6pm-8pm and afterwards have a Protein Shake.

So my problem is this. Even after all of this change, I haven't even lost 1 INCH. I've dropped maybe 5lbs altogether. I do look less bloated and feel better, but other than that, there is NO other change, especially in my stomach. I try to get at least 7 hours of sleep, but it's kind of hard because I have a 10 month old and 3 year old that do not sleep through the night. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? I seriously feel like giving up. I know it takes time, but it's been a little over 3 months and I'm not really noticing too much. Please, any suggestions are welcomed!!!

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you allowing yourself every day? What is your height and weight?
  • MsLadyJai
    MsLadyJai Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Right now, about 1200 calories. I'm 4'11 and weigh about 114lbs. I hold all my weight in my stomach :(
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    I've dropped maybe 5lbs altogether. I do look less bloated and feel better,

Then don't give up. 5lbs in 3 months is great. That's almost 0.5 lbs/week which is a great pace. If you look less bloated and you feel better, then I say whatever you're doing is working. From everything I've read on here, the stomach holds on for the long haul. I carry all my weight there too and it's really hard to see the changes. Just don't stop. 3 months is a lot, but not that much. I say just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be killing it by 9. Also, do you eat back your exercise calories? 1200 is low if you're doing intense workouts. Make sure your body's not holding on to what it can for dear life. Lastly, congrats on the progress you've made in the last 3 months!
  • MsLadyJai
    Options
    After I log everything, (including cardio and strength) I normally fall UNDER my goal for the day.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Please take some time and read this link because it will save you a lot of time and answer most or all of your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • 9chimera11
    9chimera11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do not give up :) You are on the right track.

All of us are different. Regular working out would not only may you look better but you will feel better and more strong [which I think are good enough reasons to keep doing it].

Do eat back your exercise calories. I hope your 1,200 is after eating back the exercise calories. Otherwise its very difficult to lose weight and I found that the hard way.

Good luck :D
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Since you're in a healthy weight range you could probably benefit from upping your calories and focusing on serious weight training (heavy weights, low reps, compound moves) and body composition. Cut down on the cardio for awhile.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Since you're in a healthy weight range you could probably benefit from upping your calories and focusing on serious weight training (heavy weights, low reps, compound moves) and body composition. Cut down on the cardio for awhile.
    I was thinking the same thing. Your weight seems about right for your height. Maybe it's time to focus on building muscle to lower your body fat%. At 114 lbs, you couldn't have all that much more weight to lose to stay in the healthy range.
  • MsLadyJai
    Options
    it actually hasn't been, but I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't know that!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Your weight seems about right for your height. Maybe it's time to focus on building muscle to lower your body fat%. At 114 lbs, you couldn't have all that much more weight to lose to stay in the healthy range.

+2
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm your size and hold my weight in the stomach. I Started at about 112... losing 5 pounds already is fast!
    I know I also need to lift more, but I would think you are with Cross Fit.

You haven't lost an inch Anywhere... or in your gut?
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    and how far Under goal? You don't want to keep going much under 1200
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Right now, about 1200 calories. I'm 4'11 and weigh about 114lbs. I hold all my weight in my stomach :(

You eat 1200 in total, for doing all that activity?

You list a whole bunch of nutrition myths that you are following.

Are you following the way MFP was designed to be used, and selecting reasonable weight loss goal?

1 lb weekly would be max for you, probably 1/2 lb would be more realistic.

And the only way to keep that reasonable level of deficit is to eat back your exercise calories, because your eating goal was based on no exercise.

So if willing to listen to that nutritional advice which is all myth for having any special effects on weight loss - why not use this tool correctly?

A tool used wrong may at the best kind of work, usually doesn't work though, and at worst can hurt you.
  • MsLadyJai
    Options
    I usually end up with maybe 100 or 200 under? I should recheck my diary. I've been focusing on losing inches more around my waist and not much anywhere else. I can feel and see the difference in my arms, quads and calfs.
  • MsLadyJai
    Options
    I am going to have to follow that. I didn't even realize I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. I will definitely have to adjust a few things!
  • heybales
    Options
    I usually end up with maybe 100 or 200 under? I should recheck my diary. I've been focusing on losing inches more around my waist and not much anywhere else. I can feel and see the difference in my arms, quads and calfs.

So eating 1000 to 1100 in total? That means Gross BTW, not net, when I say in total.

How exactly are you focusing losing inches more around your waist?

Or you mean that is the only place you happen to be measuring?

Because ya, just as you can't spot reduce, can't spot measure either, gotta measure many spots.
  • kfilippi15
    kfilippi15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I definitley agree with some people on here. You are at a good weight for your height. The focus is if you want to lose the inches in regards to lean muscle mass. If that is it you got to up your calories, lift weights at least 3x a week and get a good amount of protein. When I lean out my protein intake is very high. Message me if you want to chat more. I am happy to help!

XOXO
    Tina
    Beachbody Fitness Coach
  • MsLadyJai
    Options
    The only place I've been measuring!
  • ceemaw
    ceemaw Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    i kept ending up with too few calories at the end of the day, too - i realized i was not even eating enough calories pre-exercise and started wondering if my body was thrown into starvation mode, hanging on for dear life to every fat cell. i've upped my calorie intake from around 1200 to around 1600. i, too, am working out 5-6 days/week with a mix of cardio and strength training, and seeing such snail-slow progress that it'd be easy to want to give up ... but i try to focus on all the good going on in my body, even if it's hard to see any results on the outside.
  • heybales
    Options
    I am going to have to follow that. I didn't even realize I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. I will definitely have to adjust a few things!

You will likely have to adjust what you mean by "clean eating".

If it's so restrictive you can't really see yourself following it forever - then it will fail you eventually or often enough to cause problems.

There is nothing wrong with the "bad" items you listed, in moderation, and many go for the 80/20 method, 80% "good" whatever that means to you, 20% "bad" whatever that means to you.

Means you can plan in some of what you enjoy every day many times. Easier to enjoy reasonable amount when you know you get more tomorrow.