How long do smoothies, shakes, juicing, etc. last?

Options
I recently got a Nutribullet and find that I do not have time in the morning to prepare and consume the drink. I am wondering how many people premake and refrigerate drinks until later?

Does it change any of the properties? I read somewhere that you should consume juices within an hour of juicing, any ideas?

Or what about eating solid food for breakfast and lunch with only a liquid dinner??

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, just eat the fruit.....
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    I don't mean just fruit. I mean shakes with kale, spinach, fruits, nuts, powders, etc.....
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Ok I would just eat whatever it is. Liquid form is not as good for you.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I make fruit and protein smoothies at least every other day in my VitaMix. Typically I drink one serving for breakfast and save the other for my pre-workout (early evening) snack. After several hours in the fridge, the late day smoothie is no longer creamy and smooth, showing air bubbles on the top and a bit of a "puffy" consistency to it. If I put spinach in it, the color of the smoothie goes slightly brownish after several hours so it's not very appetizing IMHO.

Personally I like smoothies fresh made and the holdover ones are just okay. It takes me only a few minutes to make a smoothie in the morning. Having your veggies, fruit, and other mix-ins ready to go is the key.
  • lrearick1452
    Options
    I don't know about the effects of storage on smoothies, but purely from a freshness standpoint you should consume as soon as possible after making. That being said, I can, dehydrate, and freeze a lot of what comes into my house. Each method has its pros and cons.
    If I were in your situation, I would see if a mason jar fits on the blades of my blender. I would then make a bunch of smoothies in jars (or put what I've made into jars) and freeze them for use later in the week. If you try this method, DO NOT fill the jars past the "shoulder" of the jar because the jar will crack. Then I would defrost one in the fridge the day before I want to drink it. You could even take a frozen one in your lunchbox--it doubles as a source of cold for the rest of your meal. Shake it well before drinking because freezing tends to make liquids like smoothies separate.:drinker:
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    you can premake baggies and freeze them then just put it in the bullet in the morning... that way you can prep whenever is most convenient for you. when i make juices or smoothies, many times i store in mason jars and freeze... and try to consume them all that week. just don't let it thaw and refreeze and such.
  • macrotracko
    macrotracko Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also make smoothies in the morning with a nutribullet. I wouldn't recommend making them ahead of time because, as you may have noticed, the heavier ingredients will settle. My solution has been to wake up a few minutes earlier so I have enough time. You could also have all the ingredients cut and prepped so that all you need to do in the morning is toss them in the cup. This way, it should only take a couple of minutes.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    you can premake baggies and freeze them then just put it in the bullet in the morning... that way you can prep whenever is most convenient for you. when i make juices or smoothies, many times i store in mason jars and freeze... and try to consume them all that week. just don't let it thaw and refreeze and such.

This is my plan. I just got a Nutribullet too and instead of pre-making the shakes I plan to pre-make the kits so I just have to pop them in and go. There's tons of ideas online if you google or do a pinterest search on nutribullet for making the kits.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    First off thank you so much for the people that actually got the meaning of my question (freezer ideas & freashness)!!!

As for those (eldamiano & MrM27) that think I was asking for a way to get around eating or cutting calories that was not the point at all. I have a very good plan that has worked in the past for me and I will continue with it. I was just trying to try something new when it comes to getting my fruits, veggies, and other healthy ingredients. My family does not eat what I do so it is more convienent to make a shake or whatever you want to call in in the evening after my workout or for dinner. With these new ideas I can make it in the evening, freeze, and then take it to work with me in the morning since I have to take mass transportation to get to work. You may want to stop reading into a question before you answer then!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I make my Berry Banana Nut Smoothie twice per week on average for breakfast...usually the morning following a good lifting session. It consists of about 1 Oz almonds, 50 grams strawberries, 30 grams blueberries, 118 grams of banana (roughly), 1 cup of non-fat Fage Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup 1% milk. It takes me about 2 minutes to throw everything in the blender and hit the button and I put it in my Bottle Blender (without the blender ball) and usually consume it on the road to work.

It's not really a calorie cutter though...it is most definitely a full meal replacement smoothie that clocks in around 500 calories or so...more if I throw some more almonds in there.
  • dancinqueen91
    dancinqueen91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love the mason jar freezer idea. I don't usually have a need to make my smoothies ahead of time, but that would be a great time-saver when I bring out the blender :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Oh, really? Please explain how chewing food to a pulp and mixing it with saliva so that it reaches you stomach in liquid form is better than drinking food that has been pre-liquified in advance.

Sense. You make none.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Oh, really? Please explain how chewing food to a pulp and mixing it with saliva so that it reaches you stomach in liquid form is better than drinking food that has been pre-liquified in advance.

Sense. You make none.

THIS!! LOL AGREED!
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do not like fruits or veggies, or should I say I don't like the texture of them, so if I don't make smoothies then I don't get them in my diet ever! So this is a great option for me and it is the exact same food whether you chew it up swallow or if you just swallow, where do people come up with these things they say!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Sense. You make none.

Actually the whole point to chewing food - besides the obvious is that saliva contains enzymes that start to digest (break down) the food before it hits the stomach. Saliva contains amylaze which breaks down some starches into maltose and dextrin.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I do not like fruits or veggies, or should I say I don't like the texture of them, so if I don't make smoothies then I don't get them in my diet ever! So this is a great option for me and it is the exact same food whether you chew it up swallow or if you just swallow, where do people come up with these things they say!

It's callled "science" and a lot of us swear by it.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Sense. You make none.

Actually the whole point to chewing food - besides the obvious is that saliva contains enzymes that start to digest (break down) the food before it hits the stomach. Saliva contains amylaze which breaks down some starches into maltose and dextrin.

Last time I checked I'm still drinking a smoothie through my mouth where my saliva is...
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I make shakeology with fruit in the morning then take it to work and have it as my afternoon snack. It's always been fine.