Getting Sick the Week After a Few Binges

Options
Has anyone else experienced this?

This past week: I was nauseous bad, had 0 appetite, vomited a few times and was basically sick as if having the flu.

The week before that: I was stressed, binged a few times on chocolates, chips, cookies, etc.

Question: Could there be a connection here?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Eating a bunch of sugar and/or grease makes me feel lousy. Remembering that helps me make better choices.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Probably the stress rather than the binges that made you ill. Your immune system isn't quite as efficient when you are experiencing high levels of stress. Hope you feel better!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I doubt there is a link. Had you been sick a few hours after the over eating, maybe, but not a week.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I dont get vomit sick, but when I do eat the bad stuff I usually get really bloated and gassy and all over uncomfortable.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    The only "connection" that I can think of is that you were already on your way to being sick and weren't able to tell until you stopped giving your body the extra calories from the binge.
  • mniakm
    mniakm Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your caring and kind messages. I am much better now. But I really wanted to share some additional and pertinent information, here is the story: ( I hope it helps you all, it has given me different perspective )

So, I went to the Doctor this morning to get checked out and try to understand why I got so sick last week, in addition to ask why I still have such a bitter taste in my mouth. The doctor prescribed me Anti-Acid pills for about a month on a very low-dosage, just to clear up the acids. He also told me to stop taking Pre-Natal vitamins because they are not needed (since I am not pregnant) because they might be too harsh on my tummy at the moment. In all honesty, I did not tell the doctor that I had a few binges last week, I was way too embarrassed to admit it to him. However, I am now 100% sure that I made myself sick. Sure, I might have eaten something bad at the restaurant a few days before, and yes, I might have been coming down with something already the week prior, BUT, the fact is that when I binged, I definitely ate junk food, large amounts of it, felt the oil in my throat for hours afterwards too. That was the case for the other 2 days during the week as well, when I binged again. So there is some proof that makes sense to me that binging helped make me sick. Additionally, when I vomitted a few days later, there was a lot of volume of vomit, meaning that there was "matter" in my tummy that perhaps DID NOT get digested. Is that really surprising, considering that I ate so much junk the week before? I was very tame and well-behaved around food that weekend prior, but all the junk I ingested the week before had to show up somewhere! BOTTOM-LINE: I am very confident that I did this to myself. Binged on a large amount of junk, greased up my tummy with lots of low-quality oil, lots of sugar from chocolate and basically caused my stomach to panic, because my poor little tummy could not handle it. That says a lot to me, that my tummy deserves better treatment...and so do your tummies, my friends. I hope none of you experience what I did, it was a horrible feeling and I am still suffering the lingering affects of the damage. I hope my story will help you all.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Please don't try to self diagnose and certainly don't omit important information when you speak to your doctor.

If you believe you still have a meal in your stomach several days after you have eaten it (highly unlikely) you need to go back and speak to your doctor again. If you think a binge is the cause of your illness, you absolutely need to discuss it with a medical professional. Doctors can't help if we are not truthful. Perhaps they can refer you to a professional who has experience treating eating disorders.