Swimming! Im doing it wrong!!

Options

Replies

• rmhmartin
    rmhmartin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I took lessons a couple of years ago (I had taken them when I was a kid but just as basic survival skills, I guess!) and it was the best thing I've done for myself as an adult. Sure, I felt like a dork signing up and going to my first lesson but after that I was just so pleased with all that I learned!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later as have the same issue.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Throw a mechanical shark in there…. that'll get you to figure out your "natural" rhythm…. lol

….Sorry. I have no good input. I suck at swimming.

:flowerforyou: love it
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    google is your friend.. there is a lot of drills you can do and youll find a lot of tips about form.

most common faults are too much kicking and improper head position... crappy strokes is typically just a complete lack of any training..

not drowning is simple.. swimming efficiently is not common sense.. you need to train yourself. you need to do research... you need to get out of here and go to some swimming sites.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am another vote for lessons. Most pools have adult lessons in different levels - from beginners to those working on skills and form.

Also most areas have a Masters Swim club or team.

I am joining mine tonight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you didn't drown.

so you didn't do it wrong.

You just aren't good/smooth yet.

Technique- like weight lifting and running- can make or break a work out.

practice that- relax- learn to breath. Keep doing it- it gets better.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I will check out those websites and google and I will look into my sports complex and see if they do lessons. I really wanna get my technique down, ive spent too long "not drowning"!!
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This is how I see myself swimming, obviously not with speedo's... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3HhNlysFDs
    This is how I probably look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYG6Uq6OVU
  • GummyBears7779
    GummyBears7779 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Breathe to the side, leave half of the goggles on the opposite side you're turning to in the water and make sure you get a good breath. Focus on your breathing technique.
    You can do drills of breathing every 2,4,6,8 strokes of 3,5,7,9.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Bump. Looking at taking up swimming again in the near future and in for the advice.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice on form as mine is far from perfect. But it is adequate.

I can say that I took swim lessons at the age of 41 and there is no shame I doing it. I'm glad I did because I had a good instructor who had me swimming well in just a few lessons.

Secondly, developing swim fitness sufficient to swim fast freestyle for lap after lap takes a lot of consistent training so be patient.
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I taught both kids and adults for years as s lifeguard and I'm a certified synchronised synchro coach - so my vote goes for lessons. Private or group, either one will be effective with a good instructor.

Also add others have said - slow down and build how comfortable you are. Speed will come once the technique and form improve.
  • Polygontus
    Polygontus Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I didn't learn to swim until I joined water polo, Freshman year. The coach showed us the basic form, pushed us into 13ft water and said, "Swim to the other side. When I blow the whistle change direction." I couldn't even DOGGY PADDLE!! XD

Okay now I'll get to the main topic.

When you trying out a new stroke, you want to go at a slow steady pace where you can really focus on your form.
    The way that my coach taught us the arm motion for Freestyle ((or Front Crawl as some call it)) is Submarine, TP, Rainbow.
    I'll explain. Just do this in the shallow end, standing up so you can really see where your arms are going.

Submarine: With both arms extended forward, take one and put it under water like a submarine, pulling it to your side. Do NOT go straight down to your side, use those elbows. Hahah

TP: When your arm reaches your side, bring it out of the water to form a TP behind you. It'll feel a little awkward, but you'll get used to it. To get what I mean be this, put your hand on your hip. It makes a triangle, right? Upper Arm, Forearm, side. Now move your elbow behind you, without letting go of your hip. Then lift your arm up, keeping it in the same position. It'll make a "TP".

Rainbow: Self-explanatory. With your hand leading the way, rainbow over to the starting position.

I tried my best to explain that without visual representation.

Flutter-kicking~ Keep your hips up and legs moving! Remember, your kick starting at your hips, NOT your knees of feet!

As you swim, your body should be rocking back and forth. Whichever arm is taking a stroke, your body turns slightly in that direction. As you breathe, use this to your advantage. Right before/as your arm starting "rainbow"ing, look to that side and take a breathe through your mouth. Never breathe in with your nose! It's terrible!!!! DX After taking a breathe, exhale from your nose as your head is underwater and you are swimming. It makes it easier to take your next breathe. If you just hold your breathe, it's very difficult to take one in, because in the short period of time you have to both exhale and inhale. I'm bad and am only able to take breathes from my right side, but it is best to learn to breathe on both sides.

One last thing. Don't look forward! If you do, your hips start to sink creating a lot of unnecessary drag! Look at the pool floor.

I hope I helped in some way~!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am another vote for lessons. Most pools have adult lessons in different levels - from beginners to those working on skills and form.

Also most areas have a Masters Swim club or team.

I am joining mine tonight.

I have to admit, I did not join the Masters Swim that night, working a lot of OT and I was just tired,

Try again on Thursday!!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later - loads of good stuff here.

- and you didn't do it wrong - because you went along. Doing it wrong would be not turning up at all.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think most people who never learned how to do freestyle the right way. I see it all the time. I swum in a swim club when I was younger. I went to the pool today and swam laps. alternated between breast stroke, back stroke and free style.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started training for triathlons. I eventually worked up to a mile swim before I realized how wrong my mechanics were and how much harder I was working than was needed. I discovered Total Immersion and it transformed my swim. Before I changed technique, my best mile was 1:07. After just 7 workouts I dropped to a 38 minute mile and eventually below 32 minutes. I used the 8 tips for novices in the link below and watched the video of the Japanese swimmer before and after every workout as a reference. I didn't bother buying the book. Bottom line, I work half as hard as I used to and am twice as fast.

Hope this can help. Good luck!

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/08/13/total-immersion-how-i-learned-to-swim-effortlessly-in-10-days-and-you-can-too/
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm an ok swimmer. I have the technique but I'm not very fast. I swim 2000 meters breaststroke in one hour. Free style is harder to do without a 15 second break every 50 meters. I need to work on that.

But my question is, why do almost everyone I see do free style I hardly ever see people doing breaststroke?
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So I decided to hit the pool last night as I ran a race on Sunday and wanted a break from running. Ive always found swimming easily, plodding up and down the length of a pool doing breaststroke. Anyway, last night I decided I would try swimming the way I see fast swimmers swim! So I bought a pair of goggles at the reception and I was lucky enough to get a whole lane to myself!

So I started swimming up and down - I was averaging 40-50 seconds a length (much faster than breaststroke!) but I was absolutely knackered! I also got cramp 3 times (yes I ate before I went, lesson learned). So after about an hour, the lifeguard came up to me and politely told me that I was doing it wrong and that I must learn to control my breathing so Im not so out of breath at the end of the length. Well I spent the next 10 minutes trying that which resulted in me swallowing some water and almost choking!!

Does anyone have any hints and tips on how I become a better swimmer. I would eventually like to do a triathalon and swimming is a big part of that! Im more than happy to put the time in, i just need the technique - help!

I feel like everybody has already given you plenty of tips on the technique.

But for the cramps...it's not about food, it's about water. If you haven't drank enough during the day, you're much more likely to get cramps.
    Also where did you get cramps? Cramps at the wrong place may indicate bad technique as well.

As for the breathing: Keep your head in line with your spine, looking just slightly ahead. Start breathing before your opposite hand hits the water at full extension, so it's seamless with your rotation. As soon as your fingers on the right hand touch the water, turn to the left to take your breath. Allow only the left eye to lift from the water. Repeat to the opposite side, allowing only the right eye to emerge. Empty lungs with a full exhalation between breaths.