What do you eat for protein?

Options
Somedays I struggle to meet my protein intake, I don't fish/tuna or cottage cheese.. Today I managed to meet my protein intake, I had yogurt, egg sandwich baked beans, cheese, glass of milk and chicken goujons. I had 12 chicken goujons in batter which doesn't sound healthy but they were 50g of protein and 410 cals which isn't bad right? But I can't eat these chicken goujons everyday so what else do you suggest? And I just learned today a glass of semi skimmed milk (300 ml) has 10g off protein so I'll start drinking one or 2 glasses a day

Replies

• amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    greek yogurt, protein shakes, protein bars,nuts,quinoa,...........
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    also chicken fillets would be better calorie wise,200 grams would have atleast 50grams of protein and less than 250 cals
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Turkey Breast
    Lean Beef
    Canadian Bacon (lean ham)
    1 Whole Egg & 3 Egg White egg scramble w/grated cheddar cheese and a meat
    Greek Yogurt
    Cheese Stick
    Almonds
    Peanut Butter
    Quest Bars
    Protein Shake
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken, at least 3-4 times a week. I typically have meat in 1-2 meals a day. I eat cheese daily.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My main protein sources tend to be eggs, whatever meat or fish I have for dinner, and cheese. Yoghurt, milk, grains and so on add up too. I have no problem to get around 70 grams a day.
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Scottmufcrvp1 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm building muscle I need 150g of protein.. :(
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Real chicken? Protein shakes?
  • SuziQGettinFit
    Options
    Protein shakes are the easiest way I think. You can even just sprinkle some on other foods if you don't want to make a shake. Come in all flavors too. I like PGX vegan chocolate the best. It's organic too!
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Meats like chicken, turkey, lamb, beef. I like a lot of my meats in baked meatball form, it's just so convenient.

Various fish.

Greek yogurt (mostly nonfat) - combine with fruit for dessert or use instead of sour cream, in tacos for example.

Cottage cheese! Not that big on regular cheese...

Beans - in their dried form, which can be added into chili, or cooked on it own; also, the canned variety in case I run out of other forms of protein.

Jerky - as a snack

Protein bars - though I very rarely use them for meal replacement

Milk and eggs (last but not least). An omelet with some beans on the side is delicious, and you can add whatever your heart desires into the omelet.

Protein powder - I have the whey protein powder, but I use it sparingly, mostly to increase protein content of baked goods, in smoothies, or when I need to supplement food-derived protein intake.

Hope this helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of grilled chicken, grilled pork, and grilled beef and fish (primarily salmon and mahi). I also eat eggs, Greek Yogurt (Fage seems to have the most protein) and supplement with whey.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I feel like there should be a stickied master list of protein-rich foods.

You know you have to include more low-fat dairy, eggs/egg whites, lean meats, seafood and protein supplements in your diet. Google "top 10 protein rich foods" and you'll find tons of the same stuff people recommend here. My advice is to get creative!

Think of a protein ingredient and try to come up with new ways to use it. For example, I recently discovered I could make my boxes of kraft macaroni and cheese without milk OR butter - I just use plain, nonfat greek yogurt to mix my cheese sauce and season it with plain black pepper. It's tart and delicious and I absolutely will not go back to doing it the other way. You can do this for probably a whole host of things that use milk and butter as their base. I've also used greek yogurt half and half with mayo while making chicken salad (so, SUPER high in protein.)

Protein powder isn't just for shakes (though they are good, esp with yogurt and/or a banana) - you can use it in baked goods too. Try making a mug cake or protein pancakes. Bonus points if you use other protein-rich ingredients like eggs and dairy.

Then you can also make little switches. Google around for "top protein-rich vegetables." I bet you didn't know broccoli has 1g protein per every 10 calories. Makes a difference! Your best cheese choices are parmesan and skim mozzarella (oh that makes me want a garlicky grilled cheese). Your best nut choices are pistachios and peanuts. Switch from ice cream to frozen yogurt (greek if available!). Whole grains tend to have more protein, and quinoa is probably the most protein-rich grain out there.

Hitting your protein goals is easy if you do a little research and pay a lot of attention to what you eat. But that's what hitting your macros is about!
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

You know you have to include more low-fat dairy, eggs/egg whites, lean meats, seafood and protein supplements in your diet. Google "top 10 protein rich foods" and you'll find tons of the same stuff people recommend here. My advice is to get creative!

Think of a protein ingredient and try to come up with new ways to use it. For example, I recently discovered I could make my boxes of kraft macaroni and cheese without milk OR butter - I just use plain, nonfat greek yogurt to mix my cheese sauce and season it with plain black pepper. It's tart and delicious and I absolutely will not go back to doing it the other way. You can do this for probably a whole host of things that use milk and butter as their base. I've also used greek yogurt half and half with mayo while making chicken salad (so, SUPER high in protein.)

Protein powder isn't just for shakes (though they are good, esp with yogurt and/or a banana) - you can use it in baked goods too. Try making a mug cake or protein pancakes. Bonus points if you use other protein-rich ingredients like eggs and dairy.

Then you can also make little switches. Google around for "top protein-rich vegetables." I bet you didn't know broccoli has 1g protein per every 10 calories. Makes a difference! Your best cheese choices are parmesan and skim mozzarella (oh that makes me want a garlicky grilled cheese). Your best nut choices are pistachios and peanuts. Switch from ice cream to frozen yogurt (greek if available!). Whole grains tend to have more protein, and quinoa is probably the most protein-rich grain out there.

Hitting your protein goals is easy if you do a little research and pay a lot of attention to what you eat. But that's what hitting your macros is about!

^^^^^^ This. I just had 3 cups of broccoli - high five!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, shredded chicken (I make a batch for the week in the crockpot and add cheese/seasoning with it for lunch), cheese, beef jerky, edamame, Quest bars and protein powder.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I'm literally munching on 200g of baked broccoli right now. I never realized it had so much protein and its nice to change up my snacks a bit.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do the same, but I struggle to get to 60g of protein! I'm a shorty..

In addition to everything above, I've found edamame - soybeans in their pods - you can microwave them and snack on them (lots of fiber too and low on calories). Pasta has a fair amount of protein in it, and you can buy high-protein varieties. Even a small amount of parmesan has a good amount of protein, and you can add it to loads of food. If you're into it you can add tofu to stuff, but I honestly don't really have the patience since you have to marinade it or it's like eating rubber.

You don't like fish, but it might be worthwhile looking for a variety of fish you actually like because there is so much protein packed into it. Seafood like shrimp is loaded, and convenient since you can keep a pack in the freezer and microwave a handful. I also like these chi-chi marinated white anchovies and add them to salads. 1 oz of them has 6g of protein and only 40 calories - honestly I could eat piles of them.

And finally, beer - the darker stuff, not the lite muck, and champagne (yeah!).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't like fish, but it might be worthwhile looking for a variety of fish you actually like because there is so much protein packed into it.
    Yes, I agree with this - I really don't like fish, but I love salmon, herring (includung kippers), mackerel. Just because they don't taste like fish, I guess.
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like fish but since you don't...other protein stuff I eat is chicken, turkey (I love turkey), and eggs. I usually have some meat (or fish) with every meal, not always with breakfast, but the rest of the day I do. Cheese sticks are good as well if you just want a snack. You could also buy some whey protein and make smoothies
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Im a proteinholic! Seafood, meats...you name it:flowerforyou:

My diary is open if you want to view
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

It is in the Eat, Train, Progress group