Bug Out

Options
KendraElmendorf
KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
Okay so like my profile says I'm kind of a nerd. I like starwars, lord of the rings, disney, zombies, pirates... many things. So here is my question.

I have a bug-out bag. My boss and I were discussing what all we would put in our bags. If you partake in this frame of mind... what's in your bug-out bag or what does your perfect bug-out bag contain?

For those that don't know: A Bug Out Bag, (also called a BOB, Get Out of Dodge Bag, GOOD, or 72 Hour Bag) is usually designed to get you out of an emergency situation and allow you to survive self-contained for up to 3 days. A lot of people plan their Bug Out Bag to sustain them for much longer than that, but there is always a limit to what you can carry on your back and a 3 day target is a good place to start.

Replies

• KendraElmendorf
    Options
    998999_542622362441674_1336152781_n.jpg
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in my Jeep so, I don't have a ton of room.
    My bag is a civilian frameless backpack.
    In this backpack, I have
    10 energy bars
    a single 2 liter water bottle (unopened from the store)
    a magnesium fire starter
    a change of socks
    a Military ponch liner
    Zippo survival hatchet
    E-tool (the folding shovel thing)
    Survival knife.

With that said, I always carry my SOG multi tool on my belt and I have my .357 Magnum locked in the Jeep with an extra 36 rounds.

I am putting together a similar bag for my Wife's Honda Pilot. The only difference is that she has more room so we can actually put together four bags (the entire family) plus there is enough room to break down an assault shotgun and store it in the cubby with the jack and handle.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Started mine because of a buddy of mine that was in the military. Still putting it together.
  • SalemBoSox88
    Options
    I have one for each of my cars. 5.11 Gear Bags Rock!!
  • KendraElmendorf
    Options
    Nice very nice :)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Water purification tablets
    Canteen
    beef jerky & protient bars
    a switchblade
    socks
    first aid kit (gauze, triple anitbiotic, needle and thread )
    sneakers (as a women who knows what will be on my feet that day and I can't run in heels)
    crowbar
    rope& zip ties
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bag yet....wanting to start one, but wife isn't...shall we say....crazy like me.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bag yet....wanting to start one, but wife isn't...shall we say....crazy like me.

it's not a matter of crazy. we had a toxic spill near my house once and we were evacuated by the hazmat team. we grabbed the dog and went to my brother's house. but what if that hadn't been an option? after that, we started our BOBs.

what would you need if you were evac'ed from your home? if you were put into a truck w/ your family and sent to a shelter? meds, change of clothes, eating kit. that's at the VERY LEAST.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky
    Season 4 of Facts of Life on DVD
    My autographed KISS poster from 1976
    Socks
    Cherry Kool –Aid mix
    Gummi Vitamins