What does this mean? Advice?

Options
First of all - anyone who reads this must be put to death immediately - as I will be revealing my weight. A strict "No-no" where I come from! ;)

I am sooooo curious as to what has just happened. I have been plateaued since the beginning of November. I started out the month weighing 218 (sharp intake of breath...yes I just put "IT" down - eeek). Then I lost down to 216, then back up 218, 216, 218 - you get the idea. I go to the gym 4 days a week and then do cardio on my own 1-2 other times per week. My Bodybugg averages right around 500 calories burned each workout (my point here is that I am not phoning it in by any means - I sweat a LOT during my workouts). I tend to keep my calories between 1200 - 1500 per day.

But the past 3 weeks I have been a bit more lax in the food department. I have eaten fast food a few times, eaten some Christmas cookies, and on Christmas I ate what I wanted. I always worked out though. This morning I was starting a 2 week diet bootcamp - lower carbs for 2 weeks. So I wanted to have a starting point weight wise - and I haven't been on the scale for about 3 weeks. Soooo to say I was hesitant, nervous, anxious, TERRIFIED to get on the scale is an understatement. (this should give you an idea of how quickly i have gained weight in the past). I had to do this whole peptalk - "A number doesn't define you, it can't be as bad as when I started last May", etc etc etc So I get my courage up....climb up on the darned thing...slowely letting go of the towel rack...and BAM 216.2. My mouth literally fell open. What? Really? How on earth did I lose 2 lbs? The last time I was on, I was 218. And frustrated.

I would like to understand this. Of course I did not track calories during this time, but I gaurantee it was over 1500 each day. And sugar. And carbs. I have been drinking a lot of water, so I know I am not dehydrated. The only other thing I can think to include here is that I am nursing a 7 month old baby.

I know that it would just be a guess, but I am curious how my weight dropped - I would have been SHOCKED had it stayed the same - i was expecting a gain. I am happy, delighted, and grateful, but also curious. I wonder if...welll I dont want to say what I am wondering...i would just like some feedback.

I appreciate any comments - I am just trying to understand my body better.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    1200-1500 a day and working out burning off 500 cals durning workouts, and then you eat more and lose weight, sounds like you previously had slowed your metabolism down (hence the "plateau") aka starvation mode. You need at least 1200 cals a day to function and then when you ate more, your body started getting nurtition it needed and kicked back in your metabolism. I would suggest to eat a little more during your days you work out and keep your metabolism rev'in
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Since you work out so much, is it possible that your muscles are burning off more fat than they used to (when they were smaller) - even when you sit and do nothing? That and maybe your metabolism is so fast and healthy now that it actually just burned it and was happy to burn more:D?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You we're most likely at too high a calorie deficiency before. If you were eating 1200 calories, and then burning another 500 from exercise, then you were only taking in a net of 700 calories a day. Your body wasn't getting enough energy, so it was storing whatever energy it got in it's reserves, which was stopping your body from losing weight. When you upped your calorie intake to 1500+, your net calories were above 1000, which is healthier (this website recommends you keep your net calories at 1200 to make sure you're getting the proper amount of energy), and your body responded.

You might see better results if you keep up with your new calorie amount (although try to ditch the fast food and replace it with healthier foods). Your body needs the energy.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    *OOPS Double Post*
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    1st question.... how tall are you???? I dont think you are taking in enough calories!!!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It is possible that your body was in starvation mode and when you finally increased your calories it let you lose weight. When I plateaued while losing weight I usually increased my calories for a weekend and then went back down to 1200 and it usually helped. I'm terrible now about eating a lot more on weekends and then dieting during the week:) but I was at my goal weight until this last week. Needless to say the next few weeks aren't going to be fun because now I have to lose the weight I've gained over the holidays. I too kept exercising though and will continue to keep that increased until I get back down to where I want to be.

Good luck in your journey and congratulations on this!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I agree with jrich -- 1200 to 1500 is very restrictive when you are working out a lot. You may want to eat more of your exercise calories back, just make sure you are adding healthy foods. And hey, way to freaking go!!
  • lahlie
    lahlie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well, I know I do not have a scientific answer, but I do know from experience that sometimes, the body responds best when you give it a "break" and then restarting....It kinda reboots everything with a new sense of energy so to speak. It's just like exercising. When you plateau, you have to suprise your body with something new, which usually kick starts the losing again. Sometimes you have to do that with your foods too....Going a cruise control all the time, your body gets used to the routine, and something different makes it work a little harder.....Does this even lake sense....???? LOL!
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    The key for me when I read your post was the breast feeding part. If you were only working out, eating 1200 cals aday and not breastfeeding you would probably be ok. But the fact that you are breast feeding does take more calories. So let's just say that breastfeeding three times aday takes 300 calories from you, then you work out minus another 500 and then you consume 1200-1300. You would get 1300-500-300=that only leaves you with 500 calories. So, when you were eating a higher fat content your body was happier.. It may need a little more healthy fats.
    The past few weeks I have consistantly pushing the lower end of my calories, still busting my rear at the gym and the weight has stopped dropping. I believe that our bodies can only do some much with what we give it. I have a one year old I breastfed for 8 months, so I understand the frustration that comes along with trying to lose the weight and balance eating well for the little one. Good luck and in a few weeks or months when you are not breastfeeding you will know exactly what to do. Good luck and congrats on breastfeeding! Have a great week!!!
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with jrich1. Metabolism is HUGE and if you slow it down by not eating enough then you're going to plateau and/or gain weight. So get eatin' missy! :)
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i agree with the others. you werent getting enough cals in..especially with breastfeeding. you need to be taking in more just because of that! but exercising too. try to get in between 1500 and 1800 and see how that does for a couple weeks...you've got to play with your numbers
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Check your BMR (the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day) You need to at least be taking in this amount of calories then also eat back some of your workout calories burned.... you can check your BMR here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the others. You weren't eating enough to properly fuel your metabolism and therefore were telling the body it wouldn't get enough to fuel everything so it was breaking down muscle so that it didn't need to burn calories for that and storing anything it could as body fat to have to fuel those workouts later. I'd say up your calories so you don't have so much of a deficit after exercising. My recommendation to my clients based on the courses I've taken is to not consume less then 80% of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. The TDEE is BMR + Activity Level + Exercise + Breastfeeding. Add them all together and then multiply by 80% to get the lowest number of calories per day you should eat.
  • dgilner
    dgilner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts, comments and suggestions!! I was totally thinking the same thing, but was afraid to believe I could actually increase my c alories and lose weight. I mean what a dream to have someone say - "Hey if you want to lose weight, eat more calories." And I totally agree - healthy calories NOT junk!!

Thank you for the formulas also - I will be figuring those out as well. Totally appreciate everything!!
  • neverheavyagainconnie
    Options
    I have hit a stand still on weight lose but have'nt gained any weight! Had the flu lost 3 pounds and put that back on. I ate what I wanted for the holidays and gained no weight and glad about that. Been exercising everyday! frusterated too! I want it to come off faster!