Confused, pls help. Cal intake

Options
I know this probably has been covered 100 times but I need clarification after reading "should I eat my exercise calories". As an example I will use todays diary. Understanding my BMR and weight loss goals.

My goal is 1900 cal a day
Ate 1915 cal in food
Exercise 1032 cal
Says my net is 883 cal

Now, what is this "net" and what do I do with my exercise calories (1032)????

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with a 1,032-calorie burn? That sounds inflated to me.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • stew46
    stew46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are allowed 1900 cal a day plus what you have exercised. Therefore, on the example day you would be allowed to eat a total of 2932 cals. Take away what you have already eaten (1915) leaves you what is left over. You are 883 cal to the good for this day.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    MFP's calorie goal for you already includes a deficit. (For example, to lose a pound a week, I'm at 1430 calories, but my maintenance amount of whatever is 1930) so you should back at least part of your exercise calories. I would say don't eat all of them back unless you have a heart rate monitor because the MFP estimates tend to be really high.
  • lachoy731
    lachoy731 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The calories burned are accurate, mountain biking using GPS and heart rate monitor combined for 80+ minutes.
  • lachoy731
    Options
    So I will still be on track by eating my "net" calories?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you're confident in your burn number I would aim to eat back at least 50%. Because of the large number, not eating them back would create a huge deficit, which in the long run might not be the best idea.
  • eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal given to you by MFP to eat each day does not include extra calories 'earned' from exercise sessions not regular to your normal activity each day.

Your goal is to NET the amount of calories MFP originally assigned you. ie: if you eat 1900 calories, but burn 1000 on top of that you need to 'eat back' some of those calories you burned during exercise.

The problem that arises is almost all calorie burns are inflated. So when you eat back the calories burned during exercise, aim to only eat back 50-75% of them. Thus, for your example you would want to do this; eat 2400 - 1000 exercise = 1400 net. Yes, this is below your 1900 goal, but that is due to inflation of the listed burn.
  • eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So I will still be on track by eating my "net" calories?

Your goal is not to 'eat your net calories'. Your goal is to end up with a NET figure of your target intake for the day.

Intake - calorie burn = net.
    2900 - 1000 = 1900 (this is what you want to aim for)

PS that's an AWESOME burn on that bike ride!!
  • lachoy731
    Options
    I think I got it now... lol. And yeah, I burn a lot, I ride very hard, very fast and for hours sometimes.
  • lachoy731
    Options
    Oh, and that's not actually me in the profile pic. ;)