where can I change MFP to reflect a low carb diet?

I was wondering if there was anywhere on here you can choose to track your Fat, carbs etc to follow a low carb diet instead of the default settings? Thank you .

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    When you go to your goals you can click "custom" instead of automated and then set your macros to whatever percent you want. Mine is 40/40/20 at the moment.
  • Clevelynne
    Clevelynne Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for answering! How did you decide you wanted to go 40/40/20?
  • Aaron_K123
    Just know it works for me.

40% protein is an attainable amount that has me at the 1g of protein per bodyweight that I like to hit for muscle maintenance during weightloss.

40% carbs gives me sufficient energy to power through my workouts and stay fit.

20% fat because I find fat less satiating than protein and it is highly caloric so the lower I keep this the more filling I find my meals. Wouldn't go below 20% though because you still need fat in your diet.

That is just my opinion, have to find what works for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Generally, you should aim for 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, .35 of fat and the rest can be carbs. Now if you have a medical issue or prefer low carb as it's more sustainable, then you can still aim for the protein and figure out the ratio that works for you. You could start at 20% carbs, 50% fats and 30% protein.
  • Aaron_K123
    Generally, you should aim for 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, .35 of fat and the rest can be carbs. Now if you have a medical issue or prefer low carb as it's more sustainable, then you can still aim for the protein and figure out the ratio that works for you. You could start at 20% carbs, 50% fats and 30% protein.

Man if you can pull that off great but doing cardio and heavy lifting id bonk eating that few carbs. I tried 30% and that still wasn't enough to bring intensity for duration.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

Man if you can pull that off great but doing cardio and heavy lifting id bonk eating that few carbs. I tried 30% and that still wasn't enough to bring intensity for duration.

Doing cardio on low carb should be quite easy, doing HIIT or resistance training that's the challenge.

I eat low carb and can happily play tennis (2 hour doubles), cycle (3 hours), hike (12 miles) - not all at once, but all on low carb with no drop in energy.

However when I weight train or do 90 minutes of Ju-Jitsu I need to carb up before doing these things or I do feel wiped out.

OP your best bet is to play around with it and see what will work for you. After your workouts you will know if you need to increase carbs to fuel them or not.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

For some people, it's not a choice... it's a requirement. For those with PCOS, POTS, insulin resistance, diabetes or other metabolic diseases, low carb is advantageous and quite frankly the only way.

Personally, i struggle with anything less than 200g of carbs a day, but for some it's a non issue.