New runner and heart rate monitor use?

Options
I am fairly new at running. Started out with the CT5K workout and I recently purchased a Polar FT4 HRM. Question: When running, should I slow my pace and even walk when my heart rate goes above the fat burning zone and then speed up again when my heart rate is closer to the lower range? Or should I keep running as long as I can even if the HRM reads about the fat burning zone? Thanks

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Fat burning zone is a pretty outdated theory, essentially run, and note what your HR is doing. As you progress you should see your HR reducing for a given pace, so up your pace to keep your HR up.

Zone training is only really useful if you're in the performance improvement range, for general health and fitness don't worry about it. As you're working at higher paces you're burning more fat anyway.
  • babbsisthebest
    babbsisthebest Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • tmodaniel0720
    tmodaniel0720 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fat burning zone is a pretty outdated theory, essentially run, and note what your HR is doing. As you progress you should see your HR reducing for a given pace, so up your pace to keep your HR up.

Zone training is only really useful if you're in the performance improvement range, for general health and fitness don't worry about it. As you're working at higher paces you're burning more fat anyway.

Agree, In my own personal experience, I started back running after a long long layoff. I bought a polar ft7. My heart rate at first was in the 160-170 range during my 30 min runs. Now fast forward 3 months my heart rate stays about 150's during all of my runs from 3-9 miles.