Trying to get into running regularly...

Options
Running has always been my enemy. I used to have to run daily for cheerleading in highschool and I always got very short of breath and took a lot longer then anyone else on my squad to recover (red face, couldn't breathe etc.) I haven't really ran much since highschool and have dropped a bit of weight (60 pounds!) since then. But lately I've been wanting to get into running regularly.

Which is better? Running on a treadmill or running outside?
Which shoes would be better? Sketchers shape ups or L.A. Gear Athletic shoes (only pairs of shoes I own that aren't boots or converse)
Is there a trick to not getting ridiculously out of breath while running?
Is C25K worth looking into?

Replies

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    C25K sounds like a good fit for you based on the limited info you gave. Definitely worth a shot. Please invest in real shoes - you don't want to get injured. Go to somewhere like a Fleet Feet and let them help you with shoes. If you really can't spring for new shoes right now, DO NOT run in the Shape Ups! Those are terrible.
  • leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like you hated running in high school. I started C25K last August and I LOVE running now! The first two weeks are free so go that far and it is only 1.50 after that or it was when I used it last fall. Get some good running sneakers. Good shoes vs. bad shoes will make your running experience worlds apart! Your symptoms from before sound like asthma. It could have been the weight so I would take it cautiously. If those same symptoms appear I would seek the advice of a doctor.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    There is a free C25K app for the iPhone. My husband and I finished the program in 8 weeks last summer. I still run once or twice a week and I finally find it enjoyable now. I think it is a great program and definitely worth looking into. I also agree with spend the money on some good shoes. My Brooks have been great.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Running has always been my enemy. I used to have to run daily for cheerleading in highschool and I always got very short of breath and took a lot longer then anyone else on my squad to recover (red face, couldn't breathe etc.) I haven't really ran much since highschool and have dropped a bit of weight (60 pounds!) since then. But lately I've been wanting to get into running regularly.

Which shoes would be better? Sketchers shape ups or L.A. Gear Athletic shoes (only pairs of shoes I own that aren't boots or converse)

I prefer outside - but honestly wherever will get you running.
    Whichever pair doesn't hurt to run in - tho if you're serious about running I recommend a good pair of running shoes like brooks, asics, or mizunos.
    Pace - if you feel yourself getting out of breath where you can't even get 2 words out, slow down. I personally push through it and eventually noticed I no longer 'huffed and puffed' after a few months. Try to control your breathing too, don't gasp, in through your nose out through your mouth.
    C25K is a great app, there's a free version and if you follow it, can def help a lot!

Side note: Don't start too fast.. running injuries are the quickest way to not be a runner.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    C25k by zen labs is free. Running shoes are important! Find out what kind of running shoe you need. You can always check out places like T.J. MAX for last seasons running shoes. I picked up a pair of Saucony today.
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    Options
    Neither shoes would be my pick, and if a program would motivate you more than I think that would be great! Otherwise just set mini goals for yourself along the way. Sometimes I have only 3 miles scheduled for a day but am feeling super groovy and run 8 or 9, just go with what feels like the right amount for you and soon you will be able to build upon that.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    First I'd say look into exercise-induced asthma, you sound a bit like me with running how I felt me whole life, and since I got an inhaler it's made a HUGE difference. If not that, then the breathing and such should get easier as you build endurance. A good tip to not over-do it is that you should be able to talk at the same time as running, if you can't talk, you're going too fast and need to slow down. It may not be talking perfectly, but it shouldn't feel impossible.
    As far as shoes go, go with whichever feel the best, maybe do a trial with them and see. I also want to stress stretching before and after- before, more of warm up stuff that gets your heart going and stretches your legs like running with high knees for a short distance, some butt kicks,or even just walking and speeding it up.
    Don't forget to stretch your legs after, hold each stretch at least 30 seconds, and really make sure to stretch your calf muscles! You don't want to strain them it's brutal, if you get pain in your legs you should probably slow down and may be doing something wrong, eg. shin splints, knee problems etc. Just keep those in mind, if you were to keep running with pain it could make it a lot worse (learned this from experience with calf pain and getting new shoes turned out to be my solution).

Good luck! Try to run about 3 times a week would be a really great start, every other day works well and you'll notice improvement each week or maybe even each run! :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Running in school never worked for me either - they just expected everyone to pull a 5k out of their hats every so often - not me
    C25k taught me breathing and pacing. So I would recommend it. Or one of the 10k alternatives.

As for shoes, it's a big debate. But chances are you'll need proper shoes before week 4 of c25k. I went through several 'cheap' pairs before finding a decent pair of new balance's on sale (which were the first shoes that didn't cause me too many aches and pains) Funnily though, I've since switched to minimalist shoes. Less cushioning or motion control to contend with and by that very nature they are supposed to last way longer than your average running shoe. The downside is that they take a looong time getting used to and you have to build up very slowly. If you manage that though, they are amazing :happy:
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I believe enjoying running is an aquired thing. Once you start to get better, you start to enjoy it more.

As for the turf you run on i would without a doubt suggest you run outside. It provides the use of many muscles that are ignored through the treadmill. Not to mention, its a great supply of Vitamin D on a nice day. I run every day and will not go near a treadmill regardless of the weather. They bore me.

I would not suggest either of the shoes you mentioned. Running shoes are a very important investment if you serious about running. Look into Asics, they make all around great running shoes.

In order to not get out of breath easily you need to start off your run at a slow tempo and gradually work your way up to a faster tempo at your own will.

Good luck!
  • moonstoneme96
    moonstoneme96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Definitely use the C25K app. A few years ago I played competitive tennis so had to run 1-2 miles after practice every day and hated every minute of it. I developed knee problems and had to take a few years off, limiting my physical activity to walking, no running, no tennis, nothing. Recently I downloaded the C25K app and absolutely love it, I would definitely give it a try. This app changed my outlook and perspective when it comes to running, hope it will change yours also!
  • TingoAcias
    Options
    I hated running with a fierce and fiery passion my entire life, and made every excuse I could think of to avoid it at all cost. Once I started exercising regularly again, several of the workouts I was doing involved running in place. It sucked, and I hated it at first, and then, like a lot of exercise, after a while it didn't suck anymore, nor was it really doing anything for me anymore. So I thought, what the hell, let's give real world running a try, and it sucked and I hated it at first, but wouldn't you know, after a while it didn't suck anymore. I dare say, I quite enjoy it now.

My point is - be patient, take baby steps. I started out with intervals as was suggested to me by a friend that went from only being able to run 30 seconds at a time to now running marathons. A trail by my house has markers every .1 mile, I started running between two markers, and then walking between the next two markers, repeat, for a mile or so and then slowly upped the number of markers I ran between as time went on. I found it extremely helpful to have that little goal there to motivate and push me. Run outside, it looks better (view wise), it feels better, and it actually gets you somewhere (like I said, I like goals.)

Finally, like everyone else said - SHOES, invest in them, they can make all of the difference. Go somewhere where the employees know what they're talking about - if they just point at running shoes and don't ask you questions, turn around and walk out the door.

Good luck finding a program that works for you!
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I love running outside. I hate the treadmill. But figure out which one works best for you.

I dont know about either of those shoes, but if you are serious about running, I would invest in some good running shoes to decrease problems.

There is a trick to running out of breath- when you start running you should be able to hold a conversation, if you can't, you are running too fast. Start out slow and then build your speed over time.

Couch 2 5k is an awesome program that can help you start to be able to run longer.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Outside. Forget a treadmill

This is bespoke to you. Visit a running shop. Alternatively try and do some research online about your footshape and find a website that shows the type of foot that you have.

Slow down

Your choice