is 1200 calories a day + some exercise healthy??

Options
hey all!

this is my first time on a fitness forum so please bear with me if i sound stupid.

according to the MFP generated calorie per day count, i should be eating 1200 calories a day if i want to lose 2lbs a week.

would that be healthy? i currently weigh 149lbs and am 5'7". i also plan on going to the gym for about half an hour a day doing cardio.

thank you!!!

Replies

• Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    according to your profile you are only aiming for 14lbs, you should reset your goal to lose 1lb/wk. Remember it's not a race! :) 2 lb/wk is the maximum recommended, since you are closer to your goal your per week goal should be lower.

Also please check out: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

MFP set me as 1200 in the beginning as well but it just wasn't enough for me! I increased to 1700 and continued to lose (and had more energy). If you do decide to stick to a lower calorie goal please remember the goal is to NET that amount so if you exercise you should be eating some or all of those exercise calories back. So if you burn 350 cal, try to eat back that amount. Some people go with 1/2 their calories but I've always aimed to eat them all back if I can :)
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Please search the forum for TDEE -20% guidelines,as you are not insanely small person ,and your BMR would be probably higher than 1200
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You don't have very much to lose...so this aggressive a goal may not go so well. More practical and do-able would be to aim at one lb a week. That gives you more calories...easier to stick to, and easier to get good nutrition. 1200 is the MFP default minimum...it really isn't appropriate for very many people.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    according to your profile you are only aiming for 14lbs, you should reset your goal to lose 1lb/wk. Remember it's not a race! :) 2 lb/wk is the maximum recommended, since you are closer to your goal your per week goal should be lower.

Also please check out: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

MFP set me as 1200 in the beginning as well but it just wasn't enough for me! I increased to 1700 and continued to lose (and had more energy). If you do decide to stick to a lower calorie goal please remember the goal is to NET that amount so if you exercise you should be eating some or all of those exercise calories back. So if you burn 350 cal, try to eat back that amount. Some people go with 1/2 their calories but I've always aimed to eat them all back if I can :)

scoobys site is awesome..........good calculators and good info
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    http://retireddieter.com/resting-metabolic-rate-what-is-your-rmr
    this will give you a number you want, pretty awesome information
  • autumnistic
    autumnistic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ah, thank you guys so much! Sorry if this was a stupid question. But it's nice hearing all this advice! :)
  • nikkilovessweets
    nikkilovessweets Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find that the fitbit is an excellent way to track calories burnt. I was eating too little at what myfitnesspal had me set at and I was hungry and tired, ugh. Perhaps investing in a gadget like this is a great idea? :-) I love mine!