What to eat when your basically lonely.

Options
My boyfriend is military and I am used to him being gone but it's still very hard. I try to keep myself busy but towards 8 pm I get sad because I have nothing else to do besides go to my kitchen and munch on carrots, yogurt, cookies, or what ever is there. Some weekends I have found myself getting take out appetizers then regretting it the next day. I normally don't like to eat late, I prefer drinking water. We talk through social media and Skype when he can but it's still not the same. The first month or two are harder when it comes to deployments but the last month is even harder cuz I know he's coming home. Any suggestions on how I can control this?

Replies

• dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you're lonely and hungry, a healthy snack, such as apples and peanut butter would be good. But if you are lonely and not really hungry, I think it would be best if you don't try to fill your lonelines with food. Do you have some hobbies you could work on instead of eating?
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Basically work, fitness, cooking and watching tv. I scrapbook and I did make a deployment book full of pictures, quotes, etc so I don't forget about him and remind myself that he will come back. I can't imagine myself leaving him while he's away. I just wish we could Skype and communicate more.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Hanging out with friends? What about volunteering? That can be very fulfilling and you can meet some new people!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    find a hobby that you enjoy that you can get lost in for a couple of hours. i've always found that when i'm busy, i'm not tempted to mindlessly snack out of boredom.

perhaps art. or writing. or something that gives you an outlet for your creativity.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I could scrapbook more or something. I have been meaning to start on my cookbook i've been meaning to write. I could gather like 250-500 recipes and start writing and working on that. I want to be careful on what I eat so I could possibly find some taste testers. lol
  • ashareem
    ashareem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Those are two of the hardest things to overcome, whether youyr loved one is deployed or not - but the distance certainly make it more difficult to not get lost in that cycle.

Something my therapist has suggested for me (I tend to eat as a comfort thing, and am working on changing that) is instead of looking for something to eat, do something physical - a 15-30 minute workout session followed by a bath and bed.

Good luck!!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I get involved in a couple of hobbies that won't allow me to eat, because I can't get my hands dirty at all or have any kind of food even close to the area where I work. It works out really well and most of the time I completely forget about food.
    It also helps that I have absolutely nothing in the home that will get me in trouble. In order to eat, I have to actually prepare something.....and for that I am usually too lazy at night.
    Right now I have as a possible " I feel alone and should eat something " food home made plain yogurt or small persian cucumbers....neither one will get me in trouble. If I am really hungry than I will eat those, but if I think I am hungry, but don't want either, I know it's just in my head.....then I drink some tea or water and forget about food.