2nd ignorant question of the day...sorry

Options
What in the world does it mean to "bump" a post? I am seeing it a lot and I am completely confused. I am thinking it is a good thing though? Please inform me.

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It's actually an acronym - it stands for "bump up my post". All it does is move (or "bump") the post further up in the forum so it's more visible to others (and more likely to get a response). Generally though, it's bad etiquette to do this more than once a day! Hope that helps! :)
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    But why would someone reply to a post and say nothing but, "BUMP!" Just to get there name noticed? And, how does it actually move the post?
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I'm glad you asked the question. I've seen the word "bump" several times and have no idea what they're doing.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No no... it's not so the person posting gets noticed. It's so the TOPIC gets "bumped" to the top of the "Recent Posts" page. It's like... if you want to come back to it and you don't want to go searching for it by keyword, or you don't remember what it was called...you just want to come back to it... you post on it (you don't have to say bump, but why not when it's so easy?) and then it shoots up to the top of the Recent Posts page!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    But why would someone reply to a post and say nothing but, "BUMP!" Just to get there name noticed? And, how does it actually move the post?

When a thread gets replied to, it moves to the top of the forum. (ie, the topics at the top are the ones most recently replied to) So a person will say "bump" when they want the thread to move to a more visible location, not just to get their name noticed, lol :)

For example, if I ask a question in the forum and no one replies, soon it'll be pushed down by newer posts and no one will see it, so I might add "bump" to move it to the top again, in hopes someone will reply.

Make sense?
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    I also will reply to an interesting thread that i want to read, but may not have time for. That way it will show up in my topics and I can find it easily when i have time to come back to it. I'm guilty of using "bump" as a place marker, so to speak.
  • wlkn4him
    wlkn4him Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always understood the "bump" as a way to put that thread into "My Topics" to that you can easily find it when you want to look through it later. I've never thought of it as a way to keep it in the "Recent Posts" section for others to see. This makes more sense to me.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ah ha. Light bulb. Thank you :laugh: