NSV! 5K Training!

Options
JengaJess
JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
I made a post on here a while ago about being able to run for the first time in my life. I was in a car accident about 2.5 years ago, breaking my leg in two places and my neck in four. I was in a wheel chair for a few months, transitioning to walking with a walker and cane, and finally without any help! I put on about 20 lbs during recovery, and have lost half that weight already. I'm stronger than I've ever been. So I decided to continue to challenge myself and sign up for a 5k, which I've been training for this past month or so.
I started training on the treadmill to get my pace down. I started with just being able to run 20 minutes straight, without stopping. Then I made it my goal to run the whole length of a 5k, no matter how many times I had to stop and take a breather. Or run a little slower. Or even walk for a little. Then I finally started to run outside, first for 20 minutes straight. Then for 30. Then for 35.
Today I mapped out a run in my neighborhood that was just over 3.1 miles. I stretched a bit, took a swig of water, put on my running playlist and I was off.
I ran the length of a 5k in 32 min and 44 seconds!!!
I still have over a month left to train, and I'm excited to continue to challenge myself. By May 24th, I'm hoping to run that 5k in 30 minutes!
I'm just proud that I have even made it this far.
:flowerforyou: Good luck to everyone! Continue to motivate and inspire yourselves! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    That is definitely something to be proud of!!! Fantastic!!!! Keep up the great work!! You WILL do it!!
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's got to be a great feeling. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll reach your goal.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Wow! Wow! Wow!

You'll eventually be in the low 20 mins. I bet. Good luck and well done!
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! What a fantastic NSV! :) Your time is great for 5k so far too!
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    May is almost near and I am no way near that 30mins of running too. For you, you are kicking it and keep going!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!