Wheelchair User trying to lose weight

Options
Hi ladies/Gents, I am in a wheelchair and i need to lose a serious amount of weight, my weight is not the reason why i am in the chair, its due to another illness, but it would be beneficial for everyone if i could lose weight, any tips please, I am vegetarian.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies/Gents, I am in a wheelchair and i need to lose a serious amount of weight, my weight is not the reason why i am in the chair, its due to another illness, but it would be beneficial for everyone if i could lose weight, any tips please, I am vegetarian.

At least two friends of mine on here that I know of are in a wheelchair. I'll ask if they might friend you incase they have some ideas. You're welcome to add me too if you want an extra friend.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

What kind of PT do you do? Keeping active in wheelchair or with pain is difficult but likely an essential part of improving metabolism.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Make sure you count your calories, you will be able to work out on this site how many you need. I reduced the amount of chocolates, sweets etc and have cut out fizzy drink. Be aware of portion sizes too.
    I am also vegetarian, the quorn products are really good and very diverse.
    You could do exercises with weights - I have dumbbells that I use.
    Good luck with your healthy journey, hope it goes well.
  • GothicStokie
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, you may add me as a friend also if you'd like, my exercise in the chair is limited, i cannot use my left arm because of nerve damage, but in small amounts i could do some leg stretches and weights with my right arm, my dietician actually appointed me to this site just yesterday and it was then she suggested I start calorie counting, she recommends i have 1,500 calories per day, my problem is im not eating enough to get my metabolism going and with an underactive thyroid it is important i try, so today i had breakfast and coffee which added up to 267 calories, not bad for a start i think, but i am feeling positive about this new start so any tips what so ever i will appreciate, and once again, thank you xx
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello :-)
    I would get a food scale, and weigh and measure everything that you eat. It will help you make sure your eating at a deficit :-)
  • GothicStokie
    Options
    I do know that one huge thing i have to learn is how many calories are in what foods, because i have no idea how many i am consuming until i add the items consumed to the day to day diary. I did however weigh my cereal this morning, i had 2 biscuits of wholegrain shredded wheat which weighed 50g Any recommended tools available that can tell me what calories are in the foods?

I am off out now for hydro therapy session, back later... and thank you x
  • ruth_jb
    ruth_jb Posts: 14
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? Have you got the Myfitnesspal app? It's great, I just scan in barcode of anything with the app I want to eat and it brings up the calorie amounts, worth downloading, I wouldn't be without it!
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Have a look at this you might find it insperational :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Arthur's Transformation (Extended Cut) - Never, Ever Give Up!! on You Tube
    or here is the direct link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXOo8D9Qsc
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can always pre-log - or test-log if you want, to see how many calories there are in what you are planning to eat, and then reduce the amount if it exceeds your goal. I do that all the time and it really helps me.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've been in a chair for almost 23 years now and it is definitely a bit more of a challenge to keep the weight off. For me, one of the most difficult parts has been trying to figure out just how many calories a day I should be getting because most of the calculations and tools available, obviously, do not account for whether or not someone's in a wheelchair.

Logging calories is most definitely a good start.... and as someone else already mentioned, a food scale to measure your portions is a huge help. You might be surprised to find out how small some serving sizes actually are! :)

Also, I would say drink up on the water! Making sure you're adequately hydrated helps keep any "false" hunger cravings at bay, or at least it does for me.

And then, of course, any type of exercise that you're able to do is better than nothing.