protein packed snack ideas

Options
I need some protein packed snacks for the afternoon. I really need something in the afternoon to tide me over that isn't a bunch of carbs... right now I'm sitting with about 200 cals left for the day with 23g of protein to go, 29g of carbs, and I'm over my fat by 8g (but I'm not concerned about it, I know my sources are good) For now I usually do beef jerky, yogurt, cheese, or some nuts but am just burnt out. If it has carbs in it, they can't be much more in grams than there are grams of protein, my system does not do well with an abundance of carbs. I'm not currently taking any protein powders, can't quite find one that I like/trust to be high quality. I was considering Dr. Mercola's Optimal Whey.

Replies

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    roasted edamame or roasted chickpeas, protein bar, pumpkin seeds? If you have access to a fridge, maybe a hardboiled egg, or deli meat slices rolled over cheese?
  • pashn_98
    Options
    Its so hard isn't it! I came on here to look for protein ideas. When I look at myfitness pal reports, I see that carbs are always over and protein doesn't quite meet the goal so...I am with you on this. Need...more....protein...I'll be following this post for some hopefully great ideas! Beef jerkey, eggs, tuna and yogurt are easy but we need a change. :) I was reading about tofu. A super food I haven't tried!
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    tuna
    peanut butter & pear
    nuts
    cottage cheese
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs
    deli meat--- add cheese, mustard, lettuce, avocado...anything low carb that you'd like to make rolls.
    low carb tortilla w/ cheese
    fat reduced ritz ... 5 are 11g of carbs i believe... spread laughing cow cheese on it and/or tuna.
    quest bars... most have around 25 carbs, but have about 20g of protein as well.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all has been said but I'll repeat.

Greek yogurt: plain, or as a dip with savory seasonings for veggies
    Nuts or nut butter
    Hummus
    Seeds
    Canned fish
    Eggs

Or something like high protein cereal on Greek yogurt...

25.5 g of Kashi Go Lean Crisp (Cinnamon Crumble)

95 Calories
    2 g Fat
    12.5 g NET Carbohydrates
    5 g Protein

and 113.5 g Fage Total 2%

85 Calories
    2.25 g Fat
    4.5 g Carbs
    11.5 g Protein

For a total snack of ...

139 g

180 Calories
    4.25 g Fat
    17 g NET Carbohydrates
    16.5 g Protein
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Chicken and tuna get you the most bang for buck as far as grams of protein for the calories. Check out snack with one or the other and you should find something suitable.
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you want some low cost and super healthy and delicious high protein snacks, check out my blog

I dont have heaps up at the moment but am in the process of adding more :)

http://superallergyfood.blogspot.com.au/
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack consists of one of the following...

Derek Howes Protein Chef (google it you'll find the website) - Protein Muffin

Quest Bar

An apple with a Tablespoon of Peanut butter

One of my homemade protein bars (includes pumpkin seeds, dates, apricots, coconut, whey powder)

A Protein Shake (I'm in love with Body by Vi shakes, only because of the taste. I also make my own with whey powder though and I use almond milk not dairy milk)

I don't know if I'm doing it right either as I'm still learning, but these snacks tend to get me through!
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Tuna(~140g) + some kind of beans(~200g) + mustard(~60g). You can throw in a chopped onion if you feel fancy :). Calorie-wise a little more than you requested but you can portion it.

Or homemade protein bars that i described 100x on this fourm:
    160g oats
    120+g of protein powder
    80g of peanut butter
    +water depending on how the protein mixes
    Mix all together(should be thick not watery), put to fridge, wait for it to harden. Slice and theres your protein bar.
  • michele0101
    Options
    Sardines are great (but only the skinless boneless kind) low calorie and very high protein! I like Crown Prince skinless and boneless in olive oi. I add hot sauce on top.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    roasted edamame or roasted chickpeas, protein bar, pumpkin seeds? If you have access to a fridge, maybe a hardboiled egg, or deli meat slices rolled over cheese?

Watch out for things like Edamame as a protein source, because it's also a source of fitoestrogen which can cause health problems in men, and can cause blood pressure and hormonal issues in women. Edamame should be a sometimes food.

That being said, Most nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, and pistachios) are great sources of protein and healthy fats that will kick in quick. if you have a fridge available to keep your snacks, chicken salad made with onions, olive oil mayo(or another "healthier" mayo option) and eaten with celery can be another great protein packed snack that will kick in fast and last a while. Oysters (packed in water or cottonseed oil) can be a bit high in salt, but are a good protein source, and Tuna is also great, and one that you can eat just by itself, if you like fish. I get the chunk light, extra low sodium tuna packed in water, and I love it, even just mixed with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil mayo, some sweet relish, and a little bit of Dijon or spicy hot mustard.

You can also look up Paleo snacks on google - they are often packed with protein, low in carbs, and delicious.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    As has been said - lean red meat, tuna, nuts (almonds, pistachios are my choice), peanut butter are all good choices.