but how do you make air popped popcorn?

Replies

• maexxy
    maexxy Posts: 15
    Options
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    do you have to use a machine or can you air pop them on your stove?
  • fizzyyumyum
    Options
    you must use oil in a pan.....with the lid on top....but u can get 1 cal spray oil
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Can't you use a microwave?
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    You can get a bowl with lid specially maid for poping corn in the microwave (no oil added). Something like that http://www.simplysmartliving.com/MiracleWare-Microwave-No-Oil-Popcorn-Popper_p_674.html
  • keba1908
    keba1908 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Place 1-2 tablespoons of kernels in a brown lunch bag and place in microwave. My microwave pops it in 1 minute 30 sec. My old was between 2 & 3 minutes. I learned this at a WW meeting years ago. Make sure you fold the bag close and lay flat. Just listen for the pops to slow down to learn your microwave timing.
  • Purplegal32
    Purplegal32 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hey thanks keba willl have to try the brown paper bag idea. Never heard of that1
  • stella77
    Options
    I know it may sound unbelievable but I don't have a microwave. I just never found any use for it. (I know, I know, hard to believe)

I usually make popcorn by putting some oil in a pan and waiting for them to pop. Takes 2 minutes. I just wasn't sure what air popped means. (like without oil?)

I may buy that popcorn machine....
  • stella77
    Options
    thanks fizzyyum! Does that count as air popped?
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Cant you just drop Kernals on the sidewalk in Kuwait? isnt it hot enough?
  • stella77
    Options

hhahaha! Not yet. it is winter now.
  • keba1908
    keba1908 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YES, that is hard to believe but I understand if you have never had a use for one!! Then the air popping machince will be your best bet because it is not considered "air popped" if you use oil. I have one and use it when I pop popcorn for the whole family--they are a great gadget if you like popcorn.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    How cold does it get thier in Winter?

hhahaha! Not yet. it is winter now.
    [/quote]
  • fizzyyumyum
    Options
    well it wold only add 1 cal :)
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have been making air-popped popcorn since I was a kid, in a big pot on a stove, because that's how my parents always did it. Drop a few tablespoons of kernels into a large pot and turn the heat to med-high. Be sure you use a pot with a vented lid. Once you hear 3 pops gently shake the pot over the burner, and continue to shake it intermittently until the popping slows down to once ever 2 or 3 seconds. Easy-peasy and it tastes so much better than the microwaved crap. And it leaves less of a mess than the air-popper I was given as a gift. My parents always put a little bit of oil on the pot first, but I discovered it works just as well without, and is lower in calories.

If it was up to me I wouldn't own a microwave either, infact I refused to buy one for many years. Finally got one as a gift from my mother who was tired of heating her leftovers up on the stove when she came to visit. *sigh*
  • jpaslawskyj
    Options
    dont feel bad im not sure myself:smile:
  • stella77
    Options
    How cold does it get thier in Winter?

Not too cold, we still have 25C during the day.

But it can go down below 0, esp. at night.
  • stella77
    Options
    If it was up to me I wouldn't own a microwave either, infact I refused to buy one for many years. Finally got one as a gift from my mother who was tired of heating her leftovers up on the stove when she came to visit. *sigh*

LOL. People always search for microwave in my kitchen. ...
    It was just sitting in my kitchen and collecting dust and taking space, I literally never used for anything except for sometimes defrosting - and defrosting works just as well if you rememebr to take it out on time. I was never a big fan of microwavable ready made meals. I did use it a few times to make melted cheese sandwiches.
    I am not much of a cook anyway.
  • stella77
    Options
    I have been making air-popped popcorn since I was a kid, in a big pot on a stove, because that's how my parents always did it. Drop a few tablespoons of kernels into a large pot and turn the heat to med-high. Be sure you use a pot with a vented lid. Once you hear 3 pops gently shake the pot over the burner, and continue to shake it intermittently until the popping slows down to once ever 2 or 3 seconds. Easy-peasy and it tastes so much better than the microwaved crap. And it leaves less of a mess than the air-popper I was given as a gift. My parents always put a little bit of oil on the pot first, but I discovered it works just as well without, and is lower in calories.

YES, THANK YOU! I will try that!
  • stella77
    Options
    well it wold only add 1 cal :)

Exactly! Air popped it is!