banishing the snack monster

Options
Hi, today is my first day on MFP. I hit chips and soda hard this winter, and as summer approaches, snack guilt has been dragging me down. I look forwards to sharing my weight loss journey with the MFP community.

Replies

• ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey dude!

I'd read this if you haven't already:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    And I'm totally there with you on snacks, I snack like a pig at a trough. :)
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    hi ransaka
    thanks for the link, sidesteel posted a lot of sound advice. I'll probably get a digital scale later today
  • ransaka
    Options
    No worries :)

I couldn't live without my digital scale, love it as I tend to cook quite a lot so weigh a lot of things anyway. Didn't cost much and is accurate although I'm always a little sad at how little 30g of cheese really is :)
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    With the cheese, I go with shredded fat free cheddar, it's half the calories, so I double the serving size...maybe that's bad, but it works out the same amount of calories 90, with 4 more grams of protein
  • SpeedGibson
    SpeedGibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This isn't advice, just my own situation. I find it easier not to snack at all than nibble on celery, 100 calorie snack packs, microwave popcorn, the office vending machines, and the cookie jar at home. I look and I quietly verbalize: no. Instead, I think ahead to the next meal or reflect on a good day I don't now want to spoil.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    This isn't advice, just my own situation. I find it easier not to snack at all than nibble on celery, 100 calorie snack packs, microwave popcorn, the office vending machines, and the cookie jar at home. I look and I quietly verbalize: no. Instead, I think ahead to the next meal or reflect on a good day I don't now want to spoil.

I've tried no snacks, and haha I end up cracking and binging on Doritos and Dr pepper.

I like eating nachos while watching Naked and Afraid. So, I measure the chips & cheese, and account for it. It's 250 cal of nutritionally void food, but it helps me not feel deprived.

I now have a digital scale, no more counting chips, I'll weigh them
  • ransaka
    Options
    With the cheese, I go with shredded fat free cheddar, it's half the calories, so I double the serving size...maybe that's bad, but it works out the same amount of calories 90, with 4 more grams of protein
    I've tried low fat cheddar and it makes me want to cry :) As it turns out today I'm having a hard time fitting enough fat in so cheese it is :D
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    The low fat cheese is like diet soda. When you first switch to diet soda, it's so gross, feels like punishment. But after you drink diet soda for 4 years, when you taste regular soda, it tastes gross. I prefer diet.

I always have plenty of fat, my protein is low, and sodium high
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker too. Instead of depriving yourself of snacks, make them fit into your calories. I also switched to diet soda (no, it will not make you fat or kill you.) You mentioned Dr. Pepper and the diet version is pretty good as far as diet sodas go. Coke Zero is my favorite. Also, baked doritos are delicious! But if you prefer regular Dr. Pepper and doritos, just learn how to fit them into your day!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I've tried no snacks, and haha I end up cracking and binging on Doritos and Dr pepper.

I like eating nachos while watching Naked and Afraid. So, I measure the chips & cheese, and account for it. It's 250 cal of nutritionally void food, but it helps me not feel deprived.

I now have a digital scale, no more counting chips, I'll weigh them

Weighing food is much more accurate too.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I purposely leave calories so that I can snack everyday. It's something that I can envision sticking with forever. Just fit it into your calories and macros.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Snacking is an impossible habit for me to break...at least thus far, so I've learned to substitute low calorie snacks. I bought a popcorn air popper and 5 cups is only 110 calories, of course I add garlic salt or some other seasoning. I was an ice cream hog so now I have the sugar free popsicles, 15 calories each. For my sweets I depend on the Kashi type bars, about 140 calories each and they come in tons of flavors. Substitution is the only that works for me. Some folks can stop at a half a cup or a piece of something but I never could so I also tend to repeat the same foods from day to day. If something is too good, well, I tend to overeat. Lots of recipes available if you cook at all using Splenda, or baked kale chips, etc. Hope this helps.
  • ransaka
    Options
    The low fat cheese is like diet soda. When you first switch to diet soda, it's so gross, feels like punishment. But after you drink diet soda for 4 years, when you taste regular soda, it tastes gross. I prefer diet.

I always have plenty of fat, my protein is low, and sodium high

I must admit, I struggle with the protein even when eating huge chicken breasts and canned tuna. I'm trying to defeat it tonight with a 16oz ribeye from the butchers and I'm still going to wind up short. Just takes a little while to adjust to a lean protein and fibre filled veggies type of way of eating for me I think.