Recipes ideas for field peas?

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
Help! I have several pints of field peas from my grandmother that have been sitting in my fridge for a while, and I want to get them eaten. Field peas are most similar to black-eyed peas, but are green (or occasionally purple) and have a more delicate non-mealy texture. The traditional way to cook them is to boil them with ham or bacon for ~30 minutes or so. This is good, but I'd really like to try something different. Does anyone have anything they've tried? Or even untested ideas?

Replies

• nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I cook them the traditional way. maybe you could use smoked turkey in it instead of ham or bacon.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Maybe they would be good in Brunswick stew, instead of the Lima beans.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Curry. Go to YouTube and look at curried pea and bean recipes. Your recipe will cook faster 'cause your peas are fresh and you can skip the pressure cooker part and just cook til tender. I suspect that there are few recipes because fresh field peas are so good with just a little smoked salty meat and available only during the season.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I cook them with a little bit of liquid smoke.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I make this black-eyed pea salad, and you could substitute field peas.

Toss peas, chopped white onions, chopped jalapenos, and chopped roasted red peppers with vinaigrette - enjoy!