If using TDEE method, do you record your work outs on MFP?

Options
If you are using the TDEE method, do you record your work outs on MFP?I was told not to eat back my workout calories because I am using the TDEE method, so when I record my workouts it can get confusing because MFP will increase the calorie goal after I add the excersize information in. For those using the TDEE method, are you recording your workouts and then just ignoring the calorie increased goal?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I log it as 1 calorie.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I also log it as 1 calorie..and I log them just to keep track of my exercise minutes to look back on.

edit: You have to put a number (it won;t take 0) so that's why I do 1
  • gizzymoto333
    gizzymoto333 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you both. I will do that from now on.
  • hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you used your exercise in determining TDEE then log it as 1 calorie in MFP. I used my strengthening in my TDEE but not my cardio because it varies too much, so I don't eat back my strengthening, but will use my cardio calories if I feel I need them, depending on real hunger.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I log them as 1 minute and add a note on the calories
  • hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I log it as 1 calorie.

Congrats on your amazing loss!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I log it as 1 calorie.

That's what I do too :) It looks a little silly on my newsfeed, but I want to keep a record that I worked out.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    For a long time I didn't, but I'm hoping that logging them (also as 1 calorie) will keep me more accountable.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I record all my exercise as one calorie burned.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yes. As everyone else said to account for the mins not the calories.
    I don't worry if I go over a little (into the dreaded red) on a few days because I am still at a deficit.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    Basically what everyone else said. I log strength training as 1 calorie and the actual time (60-75 minutes depending on whether I'm doing power or endurance training) so that I can look back on it. I mean, you can actually add your specific sets/reps on the strength section but I can never be bothered with that rofl.

I add extra cardio, that I didn't include in my TDEE, separately. so I have my TDEE set to working out 4 times per week (strength) but if I do a 30 minute run on top of that then I'll log that properly and eat back those calories. I hope that makes sense.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I configured my TDEE at sedentary, and I eat back all exercise calories burned, according to the heart rate monitor. This way allows for a sudden fluctuation in exercise activity, such as nursing an unexpected injury, etc.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I configured my TDEE at sedentary, and I eat back all exercise calories burned, according to the heart rate monitor. This way allows for a sudden fluctuation in exercise activity, such as nursing an unexpected injury, etc.
    That has obviously not worked and is wrong. :wink:

Congrats on the fantastic loss!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Like most of the rest here, I log the workout time and a one calorie burn. I log here because enjoy the feedback from friends and like to track the workouts at MFP, even though I also log them at Training Peaks through my HRM/GPS. I also log them in Excel. Maybe I'm a bit compulsive, lol. My defense is that each has it's own purpose that I rely on.

Unlike one previous poster who logs sedentary TDEE, I configured MFP for total average TDEE, including exercise, so no need to eat back any exercise calories unless I go on a long bike ride or run and greatly exceed the average estimated calorie burn. If sick or injured I usually continue eating at my regular estimated TDEE to provide nutrition for healing. I'm ok with not losing weight during such times as I am now very close to goal weight. Many methods can achieve the same goal, just find what works for you!
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I DO NOT eat back my exercise calories. this way I know I'm under calorie goal.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    That has obviously not worked and is wrong. :wink:

Congrats on the fantastic loss!
    :)
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs using TDEE and always logged what my HRM told me I burned. I could just do the math in my head and not eat back all the exercise calories. I always net 1200 anyway so sometimes I DID have to eat back some
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't even enter them. No point.