heart rate monitor

Options
My husband bought me a S7 Heart Rate monitor for chrismas, and everything seems to work, except the calories. my husband can get it to read calories, but when I exercise, it just says like 10-15 calories burned. It says you have to keep touching to get your heart rate. and be more accurate. but how often? I did it every few min, and didn't seem to help. and its kinda difficult to be bouncing around following a video and trying to keep your finger still on the watch.

but my husband can do it, and its seems to work for him. well he will just make his heart rate go up for a min, and then touch it, and he has more calories burned than I did in 5 mins actually moving around.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    sounds like this is an estimator HRM, not an ECG one with a chest strap, is that correct? They are the less accurate type, not really good for a very accurate calorie calculation. Not that any HRM is going to be 100% accurate anyway, but the ones that actually constantly measure heart rate are more precise in the oxygen volume being delivered (which is how calories are measured with an HRM).
  • demiahbryant
    demiahbryant Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The VO2 Max setting may be off. The range goes from about 20 to 80. I set mine to about 45, and it's a little more accurate..
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    its just a watch one, not the chest.
  • ktdonovan19
    Options
    I was looking for a way to more accurately calculate my calories burned and considered getting one of those super expensive Body Buggs like they wear on the biggest loser. After doing a lot of research I ended up buying a Timex HRM that consists of a watch and a chest strap that calculates BPM and calories burned and so far I've loved it! I'm sure it's not 100% accurate but based on the fact that I've been using it for a few weeks and have continued to drop the weight, it must not be too far off. The best part is that it was only $40!
  • tromero82
    Options
    you should get one with a chest strap. i got one when i first started working out and i was not excited about wearing a strap around me but it really doesnt bother me at all! i didnt like the idea of having to touch the watch every couple of minutes either. the one i got was on sale at academy for i think 40 - 50 bucks. you program your age, weight, height, activity level and all that so i feel like it's pretty acurate and i have lost almost 50 pounds so far!!! plus it's water proof, if you swim. that body bugg thing you can wear all the time but i did some research and it said you could wear your heart rate moniter all day for a few days if you wanted to find out how many calories your body burns a day then add up the calories and get your average, besides those body buggs are way expensive!