Is running by itself a good enough leg exercise?

Options
I was wondering if i could just run 3 times a week and sometimes i bike.
The problem is every time i do leg day twice a week i get knee pain

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on your goals. Do you want strong/lean legs? Then yes. Do you want super muscular looking legs? Then maybe not.

I like long distance running. I run about 30 mpw. Since I started counting calories again in January, I've lost 3 inches off each thigh. The only weight training I do is to assist my running. My legs look awesome. (if I do say so myself) Do what works for you- more than one way to do just about anything :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... Are you actually doing leg day where you're strength training legs or are you referring to running as leg day?

Normally when people say "leg day" they're talking about the former. The latter is cardio training.

Your knee pain could be due to many things.. Are you wearing good running shoes that were fitted for you or just some generic old sneakers? If the latter, that may be part of the problem. Also form can be a factor. Or maybe you have something actually wrong with your knee like cartilidge issues, etc, Either way, it might be a good idea to go see a doctor if you plan to continue running.

There are plenty of other things you can do though. Biking is low impact so that may be the better thing for you to do to avoid the knee issues. As is swimming. Or maybe just walk instead of run.
  • sherintn
    sherintn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As a new runner I was constantly plagued with typical running injuries, IT band and hip flexor. Once I started really focusing on my strength training to include total body and core work I have found that my injuries are minimal at best and only show up once I add much longer mileage. I say don't skimp on the strength!
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... Are you actually doing leg day where you're strength training legs or are you referring to running as leg day?

Normally when people say "leg day" they're talking about the former. The latter is cardio training.

Your knee pain could be due to many things.. Are you wearing good running shoes that were fitted for you or just some generic old sneakers? If the latter, that may be part of the problem. Also form can be a factor. Or maybe you have something actually wrong with your knee like cartilidge issues, etc, Either way, it might be a good idea to go see a doctor if you plan to continue running.

There are plenty of other things you can do though. Biking is low impact so that may be the better thing for you to do to avoid the knee issues. As is swimming. Or maybe just walk instead of run.

Im strength training legs on leg day, my knees never hurt before that, its just afterwards. I have running shoes. I was thinking it just sore just like after you lift heavy and have sore arms for a few days because the pain does go away.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Many things can cause knee pain.

Could be your form running or the shoes as someone else mentioned.

It can be your form while lifting and putting stress on the knee joint with poor form.

I will also mention, many people don't realize but cycling isn't always a great choice for everyone. It can hurt the knees as well depending on the individual although not as common.
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on your goals. Do you want strong/lean legs? Then yes. Do you want super muscular looking legs? Then maybe not.

I like long distance running. I run about 30 mpw. Since I started counting calories again in January, I've lost 3 inches off each thigh. The only weight training I do is to assist my running. My legs look awesome. (if I do say so myself) Do what works for you- more than one way to do just about anything :)

Yes i just want strong lean legs. I dont run that many miles though. I just started running and can only run 3 miles at a time.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think you might end up with muscle imbalances if you only use running as your "leg" day. I also incorporate squats, deadlifts, lunges, and kettlebell swings into my leg workouts.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The problem is every time i do leg day twice a week i get knee pain

First, have your form checked by a qualified professional.

Second, get rid of having a "leg day" - spread the sets over multiple days, as part of a full-body workout. This puts less stress on each body part at each workout.

No, running is not enough for strong legs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends on your objectives, but some resistance training helps with injury prevention as well as running performance.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Running burns calories and work your quads.

If you don't stretch, your hammies probably have shortened over time. Thus causing knee pain because they are constricting around your knee. Mash and stretch your hammies/quads. That probably will relieve some or (over time) all of the pain.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I tried running only when training for a half - still strength trained upper but nothing on lower.

I ended up with extremely weak glutes and hamstrings, though my quads are nice and strong. Also got plantar fasciitis which my physical therapist thinks is related to the posterior chain weakness.

For me, running was absolutely not enough. If/when I do another half, I'll keep squatting and deadlifting; it was a big mistake for me to drop those.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As a new runner I was constantly plagued with typical running injuries, IT band and hip flexor. Once I started really focusing on my strength training to include total body and core work I have found that my injuries are minimal at best and only show up once I add much longer mileage. I say don't skimp on the strength!

Definitely. Since I added strength training for my body, it has helped reduce injuries from running. I have also added some yoga which has helped as well.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    no, running isn't enough, especially if you're only running flats and not running hills. Runners tend to have weak hips for example. Strength training should include your legs.