new moms--tired and busy *insert zombie face*

Options
I have a 3 week old. I'm so tired (which is a major overeating trigger for me) and struggling to get things done that need to be done (I really want to food journal and exercise daily but some days are overwhelming to just keep the family fed and in clean clothes!)

I'm 31 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight.

I guess I'm just posting to see if there is anyone else in this boat.

Hello? Is anyone here?

*yawn*

Replies

• morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This was me all of last summer up to a few months ago, little bugger is now 10months. I feel your pain.
    I was in over my head trying to get everything done, starting doing less laundry and let the house get a bit messy. Sigh.
    Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends and,neighbours. Whether its watching older kids or picking up sme groceries, when someone offered help i took it. Made a huge difference.

Just remember eventually they sleep ????
    Good luck, friend me of you like.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Nope. I didn't even think about working out or losing weight with either of my kids until my 6 week postpartum appointment. It's too early, don't rush it. All you should be worrying about right now is taking care of your baby. Wait until your doctor clears you to exercise and keep eating enough so you can breastfeed that little one!
  • mallyboo3533
    mallyboo3533 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My little one just turned 6 months.. i had a csection and didn't start thinking of losing weight till 9w post postpartum, Somedays are harder then others to workout.. but sometimes you need rest... i missed 3 days of working out this week cause i was too tired.. and i usually only eat salads or frozen dinners cause i dont have time to prepare meals all the time. Feel free to add me
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm no longer a "new" mom since mine is 2, but I'll admit that trying to get everything done still gets overwhelming. As others have said, you need to give yourself a little bit of time to get back into the swing of things. First and foremost you need sleep and rest so your body can recover from childbirth and so you can have the energy to best take care of your new baby. Once you're cleared for exercise, maybe start slow by taking some walks outside with your baby in a wrap (carrying that extra 10 pounds burns extra calories!!). Don't get hard on yourself. Everyone gains pregnancy weight, everyone wants to lose it right away, but the stress and exhaustion that comes with taking care of another human being trumps all else. And you learn to live with the mess and dirty laundry after awhile.

As far as the tired=overeating trigger, I also struggle with that. I'm still trying to fight it, but I've found that chewing gum or drinking water helps. Or if you really need actual food, make sure the stuff you're eating is large portion for low calories like veggies or plain popcorn (p.s. seasoned salt or cinnamon is yummy on popcorn). Or maybe try drinking some decaf tea which really fills me up for some reason. Hang in there! And congrats on the new baby! :)
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My daughter was just over 2 when I started getting back into regular exercise. Down 15 lbs and found out I was pregnant in February 2014. So, now I'm just getting my walks in and eating within "maintenance" daily calories. I'm due in the end of September and probably won't start exercising regularly after birth until at least December/January.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Can't the father help out??

I did!
    I love my sleep, but not as much as my wife!

ETA - I will take over baby duty when I get home from work so she can get a walk/run/break/nap in!
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Heh. I can totally relate. When my daughter was 6 months old I was finally ready to watch what I ate and try to lose some weight. It worked well for 3 months and I lost 30 pounds. Then she started teething at 9 months. She has been the worst teether that I know of - she is just miserable with teething. Her sleep schedule got all messed up and she became extremely clingy and needy during the day. She also gets low fevers and runny noses. With trying to sleep, and care for her and juggle my work at home job I left my healthy eating go and gained the weight back.

Now she is 20 months and still teething ugh, but getting the last 4 teeth for now, thank goodness! Here I am, back again, trying to lose weight another time. I'm determined to keep at it this time. Using the MFP app on my smart phone seems to be working well for me this time around because I always have my phone with me, so logging is easier for me now. And I just love the support I get from people here!

As far as exercise, I can't do much presently except take my daughter on walks. But that's still exercise! With working from home, I use her sleeping time to get my job done. Working out while she sleeps usually wakes her up. When I lose more weight (I have nearly 100 pounds to lose) and she's a little older I'm going to find other ways to work out and hopefully she will cooperate.

That's my situation! Just wanted to let you know that I know what it's like. Hang in there!
  • cloverfield4
    cloverfield4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My littlest is now 18 months old (and still a terrible sleeper :grumble:, but that's another story). I honestly didn't come out of the newborn fog until about 2 months ago. Don't put too much pressure on yourself right now. Sleep deprivation seriously messes with your hormones and hunger. I read countless articles that sleep deprivation contributes to craving fatty and sugary foods, and really found that to be true for me. It wasn't until a couple months ago that my sleep stabilized enough that I felt ready to take some control of my diet and exercise.

That said, it's good that you're thinking about it. I wouldn't stress too much about getting it perfect and losing weight, but if you can even find good healthy substitutions that work for you to satisfy the cravings caused by sleep deprivation, you're a step ahead of the game. Enjoy your new baby! :flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,919 Member
    Options
    A three week old! Honey, give yourself a break! Try to eat healthy, but don't add more stress. Rest whenever you can. Savor this precious time with your little one, it will be gone in the blink of an eye. There is nothing wrong with your body. It has just performed an incredible feat!

Congratulations! And best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • thatTOPSlady
    Options
    Apparently I'm not alone! Thanks everyone!
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Can't the father help out??

I did!
    I love my sleep, but not as much as my wife!

ETA - I will take over baby duty when I get home from work so she can get a walk/run/break/nap in!

You sir rock!!

My hubby always helps out too, even more so now (youngest is 2 1/2).

I agree though, 3 weeks is a little early to be doing much about it, but good to start thinking about it I guess. Don't rush into anything yet, give yourself some time to heal first!
  • AGG115
    AGG115 Posts: 62
    Options
    Mine's 4 and I still feel like this. I'm a single mom, I work full time, go to school full time, and commute a total of three hours a day. I have no idea how I'm going to find time to work out. :ohwell:
  • ahelgers10
    ahelgers10 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old and 2 older children so I know exactly what you are talking about. I know I use to snack a lot when my son was first born while I was up during the middle of the night feedings. Just keep in mind it does get better. I am trying to lose around 50 pounds from my first pregnancy and thay child is going to be 10 later this year.

I think you should take it easy and wait until you are at least 6 weeks post partum before you really start working out. It is never a bad time to start trying to watch what you eat or pick healthier snacks. Don't worry so much about your body and enjoy this time with your baby.