Calcium Supplement for Lactose-Intolerant People

My doctor recently suggested that I start taking a calcium and vitamin D supplement. I tried a chewable version from Target, and because I am lactose-intolerant, it gave me stomach pains and will not be pleasant to take every day.

I have been searching for a calcium and vitamin D supplement that I can take even if I am lactose intolerant (preferably a chewable or gummy, since I also hate swallowing pills). I haven't found one yet. Does anyone take one that they can recommend or suggest? Thank you!

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    you don't need dairy products to get enough calcium. There's calcium in green vegetables and quite a few other foods. The ability to digest lactose is only found in some of the population, i.e. entire ethnic groups can't digest it, yet they're not suffering from calcium deficiency. Dairy is a good source of calcium, but it's far from the only source.

vitamin D comes mainly from the sunlight, you need to supplement that if you get very little sun exposure or if your skin's too dark to make vitamin D in the lattitude that you live in (but your profile pic shows you have light skin so lack of vitamin D could be due to spending too much time indoors)

You can get vitamin D from oily fish and egg yolks, in addition to getting more sunlight on your skin.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I'm a vegan and have no problem getting plenty of calcium without supplements. Dairy is in fact not the best source of calcium. You may find this useful. http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/calciumfactsheet.html
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Almond milk has more calcium then milk. Also you can get plenty of calcium from fruits and veggies.
  • occsunray
    occsunray Posts: 11 Member
    Take Tums and get outside.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    If you really want to go the supplement route, go to a health store, they'll have vegan vitamin lines. Now and Deva are popular brands. When I do take calcium, I use a local store brand that doesn't have lactose and the pills are very small so they are easy to swallow.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Thank you for the information, suggestions, and the link to the article, which I am reading right now.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,106 Member
    Ground egg shells.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    I second the almond milk….Almond Breeze unsweetened is perfect as a milk sub.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    While it is true you can get a lot of calcium from other sources, if your doctor is suggesting a supplement there is probably a reason. You may want to look at a solid calcium product rather than a chewable, the slower break down may cause less problems for your stomach. You may also be able to find a vegan calcium supplement at a health food store. I know some people even when they have a good intake of calcium from food sources still need a supplement due to their absorption rates so if your doctor is recommending it I would suggest finding something that will work for you rather than ignoring their advice.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    I'm definitely not ignoring my doctor's advice. I called and left a message earlier today for my doctor to see if she has a recommendation besides the one I already tried taking that made me feel sick. I will try a health food store and ask there too. Thank you!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I'm extremely lactose intolerant and taking lactase enzyme (common brand Lactaid) with dairy allows me to digest it.

Some days I don't have any dairy and still get more than the recommended just from vegetables and tofu.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    I missed the chewable item earlier...it may be hard to get that in a vegan product since many chewables are made with gelatin which is not vegan or vegetarian. As a vegetarian I ignore this little hiccup in the world and still consume things with gelatin as my issue is with many animal proteins not really the ethics of it all. But that being said, a vegan supplement would likely not be produced with these products so it may not be easy to find a gummy type product that would meet those requirements.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Have you tried "calcium citrate" supplements? They sometimes cost a little more than calcium carbonate supplements. And typically cause less stomach irritation.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Have you tried "calcium citrate" supplements? They sometimes cost a little more than calcium carbonate supplements. And typically cause less stomach irritation.

I'm not sure if the one I tried was calcium citrate. I will have to check the package when I get home.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,106 Member
    Ground egg shells.
    Not taken serious and probably the best source and it's free, interesting. Maybe people have lived in the urban landscape too long.