5 A Day

Options
TheGymGypsy
TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
I often hear references on television, particularly shows about diet/ weight loss, to the "5 a day" rule for fruits and vegetables. So just out of curiosity, how many of you guys actually meet that quota? I would imagine I probably get through at least double that amount.

Replies

• Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'd say my average is 5 a day. Probably not much more.

giphy.gif
  • winley87
    winley87 Posts: 32
    Options
    I would say most days I probably fall short. It's something I've been meaning to work on though. I would say on average I get 2-3 servings of veggies a day and 1-2 servings of fruit, so not too far off, but I know there are days when I get more like 1.5 servings of veggies and only 1 fruit. :/
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I meet my macros and my micros, I don't count actual fruit/veggie serving numbers.

ETA: spelling. Meet, not meat. :ohwell:
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options
    I meet my macros and my micros, I don't count actual fruit/veggie serving numbers.

I would imagine it might be difficult to meet all the micro nutrient requirements without fruits and veggies.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

I would imagine it might be difficult to meet all the micro nutrient requirements without fruits and veggies.
    I didn't say I don't eat fruit or veggies, I just don't COUNT serving numbers. :smile:
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

I didn't say I don't eat fruit or veggies, I just don't COUNT serving numbers. :smile:

OHHH that makes much more sense! Wow blonde moment on my part.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

This. I don't even know how to calculate a "serving."
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I make sure to get at least 5 a day now. In the past I wouldn't bother. Personal problem area for me. I have found that a 'serving' of f/v is less than I thought. I have also become more adventurous about trying different things, and cooking veggies in different ways. That's been a big help.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I had to cut down on fruit my sugar micro was/sometimes still is out of control. I try to get in 5 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit.
  • jwhackers84
    jwhackers84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i've been known to eat 3-4 servings of vegetables in one meal, so i'd say on most days I hit those goals. Though I don't actually try. I just like fruits and veggies
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

It doesn't even necessarily need to be a measure out "serving". I like to think of it in terms of frequency and variety.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options
    i've been known to eat 3-4 servings of vegetables in one meal, so i'd say on most days I hit those goals. Though I don't actually try. I just like fruits and veggies

Me too. Since I'm vegan I don't have many other options.:P
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think i have like, two servings of vegtables at dinner, and 2-3 pieces of fruit during the day. so just barely hitting the minimum.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    In a way I have the opposite problem - I adore all fruit and would have no problem eating my way through a large fruit bowl every day. I can happily eat a lb of tomatoes, 6 bananas, punnet of straws and a mango in one day. I eat satsumas 2 at a time and have an apple every morning after my walk. I also love veggies and most meals consist of at least 2 servings. I have learned to control the amount of fruit so that I can keep my calories within goal - biscuits/crisps and sweets are not a problem for me and I rarely bake or buy cake - fruit is my downfall!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I have berries with breakfast most days, about a cup depending on the berry, strawberries are a little more, I have veggies for lunch and dinner 2 cups raw each meal or 1 cup cooked, and also 1 fruit with my lunch, like an apple or cantaloupe. I try to have at least one of those meals raw and cantaloupe, celery or carrots make great snacks too. So basically, when I eat meals at least half my food is veggies or fruit.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    In a way I have the opposite problem - I adore all fruit and would have no problem eating my way through a large fruit bowl every day. I can happily eat a lb of tomatoes, 6 bananas, punnet of straws and a mango in one day. I eat satsumas 2 at a time and have an apple every morning after my walk. I also love veggies and most meals consist of at least 2 servings. I have learned to control the amount of fruit so that I can keep my calories within goal - biscuits/crisps and sweets are not a problem for me and I rarely bake or buy cake - fruit is my downfall!
    Berries are the answer to that problem!
  • perseverance14
    Options

Generally, it is 1/2 cup, more if you are eating greens like lettuce or spinach, then you can double it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Nope, not even close.
  • bakechad
    bakechad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but am very plant based.

Just quickly calculated and most days I am probably 10-15.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Vegan here, I imagine I get about 5 servings per meal!

I just moved in with a new housemate and she is astounded at how empty my half of the cupboards are, but how full I pack the fridge with produce. I never noticed when I lived alone, but now that I have to share a fridge with another person, I get to play tetris after every grocery shopping trip. haha