Losing Weight Vs Losing Fat

Options
I know that most of us are here to lose weight. We don't like the number on the scale and so have committed to some degree of dietary change and getting our overweight rear ends moving. To some degree, we see success. Then along comes that nasty plateau, or so we think. My goal was to get down to 190 by the end of the year, but for the past month I've been hovering right around 200. On a BMI chart, this still puts me in the overweight category. Well, I'm saying to hell with BMI and saying good riddance to fat.

I took my measurements this morning and saw that I'd lost 3/4 of an inch from around my gut and 1/2 an inch from around my hips. That's a total of another 1.25" from around my midsection over the last three weeks! The scale may not be moving, but the fat is still melting away, so I am happy! If you're not losing the weight you think you should be, keep track of your measurements. Chances are, if you're eating well and keeping up with your exercise, you'll be happy with what you see.

Just a little food for thought (no pun intended) going into the new year.

Replies

• helengator1
    Options
    Nice post! This is true and so many times we loose sight of the different ways we are succeeding. Thanks! And congrats on your success!
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi

well done on your fat loss, the scales are not always a good measure are they!

What you say is very true - and something I should take heed of! I keep meaning to measure myself, but because I didnt at the beginning I seem to be putting it off now.. maybe its because it would feel like starting from scratch in a way - I am about at the half way point weight loss wise yet as I have not previous mesurements..
    Sorry am rambeling here haha, maybe I will just bite the bullet and measure, I have gone down a dress size so know I must have lost some fat :-)

hope you have a great new year
    x
  • Jerri_Thompson
    Options
    So true! Measurements are a positive way to "see" the results. The scale can be so cruel a times! So when im not losing...I go tot the measuring tape and smile :) Congrats on your wight loss!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As you found out, and as MFP even recommends...pay attention to your measurements and not your weight. Weight can fluctuate daily. Not only that, but exercise + eating healthy means you may be putting on muscle in place of the fat you lose. In many cases, depending on your diet and the exercises you do, you may be gaining a lot more weight (many people inadvertantly do bulking exercises and diets without realizing it). All I have to say is measurements are a much better tracker than weight, although weight tends to be the most noticeable method initially, then the measurements after.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yup, great to see a testimonial (another one!).

What kind of exercise do you do?
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!! And in fact the inverse corollary is actually true for me. I am nearly at my goal weight, but due to a fractured wrist and a cast for the last 6 weeks, I can't really do the strength training I wanted to do, so my body fat percentile is still higher than I want it to be. Which means as soon as I get this cast off and complete physical therapy, I will be working those important muscle groups hard to reduce the body fat percentile to where it "should" be while still maintaining my goal weight. it will be tougher I think than actually losing weight.

Vickie
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yup, great to see a testimonial (another one!).

What kind of exercise do you do?

When it was warmer, I was outside a lot. And I mean a lot a lot. I would do mostly hiking, but would change things up with bicycling and walking. I tried to get out at least three times a week and especially so on Saturday when I had more free time. It wasn't uncommon to go for 10 mile hikes on Saturdays. I also just bought a simple set of free weights; a couple of 40 pound dumb bells that I would use for upper body strength training. My legs were defiinitely getting a good workout from all the hiking and biking.

When the cold weather started settling in, I moved to DVD workouts. I did Jillian's 30 Day Shred back in mid September and then started Beachbody's Insanity in mid November, got off track, but then restarted on the 20th. The Insanity is what I primarily blame for not losing weight because of all the plyometrics. I've noticed that my quads are really bulking up as well as some nice developments in my chest and arms.

The focus this year was the weight loss, but next year it's on body sculpting. I'm sure I'll get to my goal weight eventually. My main point with my original post was to not be discouraged when the weight isn't coming off, especially as you approach your goal weight. I keep my motivation by keeping track of the measurements and just wanted to throw that bit out for those who may just be starting as we come into the new year.