Wellness appointment

Options
I have a wellness appointment today with my new doctor. Anything I should ask him? Is there anything I need to record or just know? Suggestions welcome.

Replies

• KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2z6gzUIPG1r89683o1_500.gif
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Well what are your concerns?
  • KendraElmendorf
    Options
    Well what are your concerns?

I don’t really have any concerns. I suppose I’m just wondering if there I should be aware of or ask about. I’ve not had a wellness check before. I’m just kinda looking for suggestions from other people of what they wish they had asked about or things that they have come across that they get the impression they should know here in the weight loss world but don’t have a clue about.

Thanks for the question.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The items dealt with in a wellness exam will be different depending on age but should focus on age appropriate general health screening. He/she should record your blood pressure regardless of age, also height and weight to determine your BMI. You should know your vaccination status so take in prior records if you have them so if you are due for tetanus booster or other age appropriate vaccinations you can be brought up to date.. If you are young and have not had the HPV (cervical cancer) vaccination that might be discussed. He/she should get your family history to determine future risk for certain hereditary illness so you should know if your parents, siblings, grandparents have had certain types of cancers, diabetes, heart disease. He/she should also screen you for other health risks including getting smoking and alcohol history, ask you about exercise, sleep habits, sexual habits like if you are using contraception and discuss risk for sexually transmitted diseases and counsel you regarding those issues if you are determined to be at risk. If you are over 50 have you had a colonoscopy. Are you in an age range where mammogram is needed. If you are not up to date on Pap smear that should be done. Depending on your age lab work may or may not be done. If you are young and have no symptoms it may not be indicated. If you are overweight or older then screening for diabetes, cholesterol might be recommended. Basically the doctor should know to do all these things but being prepared by knowing your history is helpful. If you are on medications take them in or take a list of the meds and dosages. Know if you have allergies to medications you can report. Things like that. Hope that helps and hope you get a good report.
  • KendraElmendorf
    Options
    The items dealt with in a wellness exam will be different depending on age but should focus on age appropriate general health screening. He/she should record your blood pressure regardless of age, also height and weight to determine your BMI. You should know your vaccination status so take in prior records if you have them so if you are due for tetanus booster or other age appropriate vaccinations you can be brought up to date.. If you are young and have not had the HPV (cervical cancer) vaccination that might be discussed. He/she should get your family history to determine future risk for certain hereditary illness so you should know if your parents, siblings, grandparents have had certain types of cancers, diabetes, heart disease. He/she should also screen you for other health risks including getting smoking and alcohol history, ask you about exercise, sleep habits, sexual habits like if you are using contraception and discuss risk for sexually transmitted diseases and counsel you regarding those issues if you are determined to be at risk. If you are over 50 have you had a colonoscopy. Are you in an age range where mammogram is needed. If you are not up to date on Pap smear that should be done. Depending on your age lab work may or may not be done. If you are young and have no symptoms it may not be indicated. If you are overweight or older then screening for diabetes, cholesterol might be recommended. Basically the doctor should know to do all these things but being prepared by knowing your history is helpful. If you are on medications take them in or take a list of the meds and dosages. Know if you have allergies to medications you can report. Things like that. Hope that helps and hope you get a good report.
    yes this actually helps :0)