extreem soreness in legs after running

Options
i just started running about 6 weeks ago. i go 3 miles about 2-3 days a week and 2 miles 1-2 days a week. i take 2-3 days off. i am pretty overweight, im 5' 4" and 204 (started at 239 woohoo!) i feel like the soreness comes from running with all that weight, but i am so sore even the next day that im limping around. i have joint issues because of an auto immunie disease i have, so my joints have a tendency to flare up more than normal (mostly my right hip joint). im working on drinking more water and taking vitamins and also stretching before and after runs. any advice from runners as to what elce i could be doing to prevent being so sore when i run? thanks in advance!!!!

Replies

• Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Take some time off from running. Pain is you body telling you it is being damaged. Do something eaisier on the joints like cycling or swimming until you feel 100% better. Then start back very gently - shorter distances an less frequently. You may need to take recovery days in between each run so your legs can refresh themselves.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are overdoing it. You've only been running for 6 weeks and are running up to 5 days per week. You really need to ease into it... Especially if your overall conditioning is not good. Having said that, there could be a multitude of causes for sore legs. Are you running in well fitted high quality shoes? Are you well hydrated? You mentioned stretching before and after. Most experts advise against stretching cold muscles because you can easily injure yourself that way. A good warm-up before running and stretch very well afterwards.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    In addition to reducing your distance, check your form.

How To Run: DOs & DON'Ts :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XiwtiDTlYU

The pain in one hip is probably from structural imbalances which are unrelated to your running. Try to get it assessed by a physical therapist, sports medicine clinic, etc. In the mean time, check if your right foot arch looks flatter than the left, when standing barefoot.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The auto-immune thing tells me that your doctor ought to be involved. Setting that aside, I'd agree that you should throttle back a bit. Try a mixture of walking and running. Keep going on the weight loss, that will be of most benefit to your joints and I'd expect all your issues will fade as a result. Everyday muscle soreness from doing new, harder exercise is expected and probably can be addressed with ibuprofen and rest (maybe a hot bath).
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are overdoing it. You've only been running for 6 weeks and are running up to 5 days per week. You really need to ease into it... Especially if your overall conditioning is not good. Having said that, there could be a multitude of causes for sore legs. Are you running in well fitted high quality shoes? Are you well hydrated? You mentioned stretching before and after. Most experts advise against stretching cold muscles because you can easily injure yourself that way. A good warm-up before running and stretch very well afterwards.

Shoes?
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    STRETCH

First and foremost stretch well before and after your run.

Other helpful tips....

- Coconut Water
    - Bananas
    - Glucosomine (I take Osteo-Biflex)
    - Hot Salt Bath
    - Elevate legs
    - Protein drink after a long run (I mix mine w/ the coconut water and banana)
    - Good running shoes (the more padding is NOT better)
    - Drink lots of water

Keep up the great work!!
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I first started running (at 223 pounds), I was playing soccer and would have horrible knee, hip, and ankle pain. It turned out that the problem wasn't my weight, it was how I was running -- I was a heel-strike runner. Yes, taking long strides and coming down on my heel with a completely straight front leg. I had shin splints, tendonitis, and stress fractures. Finally a friend noticed how I was running and taught me how to train my gait so that I now go down on the fore/middle of my foot. Your knee and ankles should act like shock absorbers.

Watch the video the previous person posted. Get someone to video tape you running.

Here's an article about new runners heel striking: http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/in-study-almost-all-new-runners-heel-strike?page=single.

Article about injuries caused from heel striking: http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000564.html

Since your such a newbie runner, it should be easy to break a bad habit. But be warned -- when you run a different way, you use different muscles and may experience more muscle soreness and the Achilles might try to shrink up a touch. Very important to stretch stretch stretch.

Good luck. Please keep us posted on your progress. :-)
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Shoes?
    I don't understand your question?
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Two words..........Foam Roller
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a couple years now and have always experienced hip pain on one side related to a previous injury, which may also be related to an imbalance. ANYway, I would seriously recommend you take a day off between runs. I did that some time back and found other activities to do on my off days. Now I run 3-4 days per week, usually Monday/Wednesday/Friday, with very little issue.

Good luck! :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Shoes?
    I don't understand your question?

Do you have good, well-fitted running shoes? I was having severe knee pain until I got new running shoes, fitted for me by a running store.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Most advice I have seen for new runners is to run only 3 days per week, with cross training on the other days and one full rest day every week. Try an app like couch to 5K that will back you off the running and get you started on an easier plan. Once you are running 3 days/week without excess pain and soreness you can think about adding back in a day at a time, although the maximum number of days I run in a week is 5. I have been running for several years though. When I first started it was hard and I ran only 3 days/week and yes, I was sore a lot of the time.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd check your shoes, form, and intensity.

Are you fitted for shoes? Being a big person, this is very important.

Are you running with proper form? Again, big person, very important. You could be wasting lots of energy and overdoing it in general.

Are you going too fast? Nuff said, slow down. When in doubt, always slow down.

Ditch the stretching beforehand. Begin with a brisk walk, skips, high knees, buttkickers, etc - an "active stretch." Incorporate a foam roll into your recovery and make sure it targets your sore areas. Sore is ok, pain is not. If you have pain, I would take some time off. If it persists, see a doctor. If you have burning joints, again, see a doctor and see if an NSAID is ok given your medical condition.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Make sure your doctor is on board with your running, first and foremost.

I can get hip pain when I run, though now that I have been running 3 times a week for 4 1/2 months, the pain seldom kicks in anymore. I think it's mainly because my body is more used to running now, but I have also shortened my stride, which helped me a LOT. Also, icing my hip on really bad days made a world of difference.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    i just started running about 6 weeks ago. i go 3 miles about 2-3 days a week and 2 miles 1-2 days a week. i take 2-3 days off. i am pretty overweight, im 5' 4" and 204 (started at 239 woohoo!) i feel like the soreness comes from running with all that weight, but i am so sore even the next day that im limping around. i have joint issues because of an auto immunie disease i have, so my joints have a tendency to flare up more than normal (mostly my right hip joint). im working on drinking more water and taking vitamins and also stretching before and after runs. any advice from runners as to what elce i could be doing to prevent being so sore when i run? thanks in advance!!!!

Where are you sore? Calves, shins, hips?
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You seem to be overdoing it. Your cardiovascular conditioning will adjust to exercise faster than your joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. And that is in healthy people. You already have inflammation from your disease. You need to back off. Do other exercises like bike, swim, elliptical, weight training.

and read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running?hl=so+you+want+to+run

If you don't slow down and let your body heal you will regret it.