Feeling old

Options
I am the first time mom of 4yr old, I just turned 40, put on 20 lbs since before the birth and just don't feel like I can move the way I used to.

Not a sugar addicted. I just eat too much of bad comfort food.

I would like to feel young and fresh again.

Replies

• captainamerica52
    Options
    welcome to mfp you will get there never give up i know you can do it:love:
  • Allison0504
    Options
    Totally know what you mean! I'm 42 and have a 6 and 3-1/2 year old. I think I'm always on the go go go and then I get so hungry that I just grab whatever. Gotta start stashing my purse and car with apples instead of the chocolate covered granola bars.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am going to be 43 in a couple of months and I have 3 children. Having your first child in your late 30's can be tough, but don't worry. You can get yourself back to feeling great. The first step is to find out what you need the comfort food for. Then start eating healthy again and you will begin to feel better. Start excercising with your little one. My 9 year olds are very active. I get out and play on playgrounds with them, run in the yard playing soccer and foot ball and riding dirt bikes.
    Remember that 40 is the new 30 and you can definitely feel great again.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I feel more fit and healthier NOW than I've ever been in my life!! It's amazing, absolutely amazing, how I feel!! It takes time, a lot of patience, and a lot of HARD work all put forth by you!! It doesn't come easy, it's not overnight!! I've been really at this for 6 months, 3-4 days a week and it's taken me baby steps, a lot of sweat and tears, but when I go from 2 plank to pushups to now doing 20 or other little milestones, I know it's worth it!! Keep trudging onward, you're in a good space if you've come here.

I wanted to add, I sought refuge in A LOT of comfort food, it's hard to give it all up but you "reward" yourself one day a week and eventually you won't even be craving those foods.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I am the first time mom of 4yr old, I just turned 40, put on 20 lbs since before the birth and just don't feel like I can move the way I used to.

Not a sugar addicted. I just eat too much of bad comfort food.

I would like to feel young and fresh again.

Welcome! I'm 55 and feel pretty good for my age! That's the benefit of a healthy lifestyle - healthy food, healthy portions, exercise. You don't have to give up everything you love. Life would be so sad without cupcakes:wink: But when you learn moderation and portion control you can turn your life around......and feel young again. Hang in there:flowerforyou:
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm a 44 year old mother of 2.... Can't blame "baby weight" cuz they are both adopted! But I know what you mean. Between baseball, soccer, football, archery, volunteering, working, etc, it's so much easier to grab convenience foods that really end up being horrible for you.

I have found that keeping that sort of food out of the house helps, but so does prepackaging your own healthy food. Brown bagging is a great way that I can keep from eating crap. A big yummy salad that comes in at under 200 calories is a typical lunch for me. I take 3 cups spring salad mix, 2 ounces of Virginia ham, 2 tablespoons of crumbled low fat feta cheese, 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato, and 1/2 cup diced fresh apple. Then I top it off with some dressing which is usually Newman's Own Lite Balsamic Vinagrette dressing that i've allowed the oil to rise to the top then sucked out all the olive oil out with a turkey baster... All the flavor, none of the fat! It's BIG on flavor including sweet, savory, and has a nice crunch, it also has a good amount of protien and oodles of fiber and keeps me full and satisfied for hours.

When I have a craving for something sweet, I find that a 1/2 serving of Garber's brand low fat chocolate marshmallow ice cream with 1/4 cup of Special K Vanilla Almond cereal is just the ticket and it comes in at 150 calories. Or frozen greek yogurt is also a good alternative, but be sure it's the low fat low sugar versions.

My favorite salty food substitution is dry roasted almonds. When I crave chips or pretzels or some other crappy snack food, I reach for a serving of dry roasted almonds. They are packed with flavor, crunch, protien, and other good nutirents. Plus they help stave off cravings by making you feel full longer than a serving of junk food because of the protien content.

There are ways to eat healthy and still enjoy what you're eating. My best friends on my weight loss journey have been measuring cups and spoons, and my kitchen scales. They keep me honest about my portions and it gives me sense of satisfaction when I can say "Yup, I only ate 1/2 cup of..." or "Only 2 ounces of..." and I KNOW my logging is correct.

Be dilligent with your logging. Keep measuring cups and a kitchen scales handy, and swap hig fat, high carb, high calorie foods out for ones that are healthier versions of the same. Small changes make a huge difference!

Good luck and you CAN do it! If you need encouragement or support you've come to the right place! MFP is awesome!
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    I know what you mean, I will be shortly deactivating my account, because I keep being told that I am to old and have lost friends. Good luck on your journey for a healthier you :))
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    Hi Cathy, you can do it! I'm going to be 50 next year January and eating clean has made my life so much more enjoyable! your skin clears up, you look youthful, and you lose fat! AND you can still eat! lol!!! You can do it!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    40 year old mom of 2 here too!

You can do it! All I can say is log, log, log! Log your food and exercise everyday. Don't eliminate your comfort foods, log them and include them on occasion when you can. Remember this is a lifestyle, not a diet. Find some exercise you can really get into and enjoy!

Try out some of Jillian's workout DVD's on youtube. The 30 Day Shred is a great place to start. You can watch it for free too!

Good luck! You got this!! :smile:
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 this year with a 3 year old Grandson. Man I don't remember being this exhausted with my two children all those years ago...

I am finding that while I dread getting started with a cardio workout, I almost always feel better after its done. Even when I put in extra time.
  • cathyjones08
    cathyjones08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of you ideas and support. Archerychickg I will be getting some apples and ham on the way home from work tonight. That sounds good and something I can do on the go.

I can't blame baby weight either because I lost most of what I gained the day I gave birth. I worked out my entire pregnancy. But since I had my daughter, I have gained the weight. I think it is a combination of eating on the go, eating too big of portions, eating processed "kid food", and taking the extra bites off of her plate before I put stuff in the sink.

By some people's opinion I don't look over weight but I know I'm not right and I don't feel good. I feel as if I let this feeling go 20 lbs will add to 30 to 40 and it will just slowly get out of control.