Trying to Stay Motivated and not Frustrated

Options
So, the scale is not moving. I finally got below 210 the other week which is the lowest I've been in forever. Then, of course, it popped back up to 212 and there it has stayed. I'm worried because 210 is one of my "stuck" places, or plateaus, which isn't really fair since I've only lost 14 pounds. It doesn't seem fair to me to be hitting a plateau already. Anyway, this is where I get stuck and eventually quit...every time. But I'm really trying hard not to do that this time because I'm ready for this to be the last time. Part of me getting stuck may be me stressing about getting stuck in the first place so I've been looking for other things to make me happy with my progress. I didn't take a ton of measurements to start with, but I have noticed my clothes are fitting better. I also had some medical things going on at my last doctor's visit (high cholesterol and high blood pressure). The blood pressure was a kicker for me because mine has ALWAYS been low. Well, I checked it the other day on one of those machines at the store and it was back to normal! 117 over 74!
I also keep telling myself that, even if the scale is not being cooperative about it, I am making myself be a healthier person with the way I'm exercising and eating. Now I've just got to get past being stuck!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Take photos & measurements, too.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Take photos & measurements, too.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This. I have 2-3 weeks stalls every month, it's totally normal, especially for women as we tend to retain water before our cycle.
  • bvoyles4
    bvoyles4 Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I find that when my calories are too low my weight loss stalls every time! Message me and we can chat!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have had stalls too. Keep going. You *will* get past this. There is no doubt and no risk. There is a 100% guarantee that you will get below 210lbs if you keep following your plan. You can do it! I'm not sure what your calories are set at but make sure they are reasonable and then be very careful to log everything.
  • cindym29
    cindym29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and just push through! It's frustrating, but patience and perseverance will win!!! You will get there, just don't give up!!!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A stall is an opportunity to double check that you are accurately weighing and logging everything you eat and drink. Also make sure you are not over estimating exercise calories. If you are confident that you are doing both of these things well and you are still eating at a deficit then your weight loss will resume. I have found that diligent logging and confidence in my numbers is what gets me through those times when the scale doesn't move as I'd expect.

Body weight is constantly changing with fluid fluctuations. However if you continue to eat at a reasonable deficit the scale will move again. What I've found is that after a slow period where the loss is not what my deficit would predict, the scale will suddenly move more than that week's deficit would predict. Over the long term my deficit has been pretty good at predicting the scale.

Calorie math really does work in the long run. Stick with it!!!
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You hit 210, and you will see 209 if you stick with what got 14 pounds off. You can do it!!!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Check the accuracy in your logging, not eyeballing portion sizes, not forgetting to add oil when you cook with, etc. Your diary isn't open so can't see specifics.

When my weight loss has stalled for more than a week or two or it was my logging being off, either on my intake or my calories burned. Once I corrected those minor fixes I haven't had a problem. In my 16 month and I've had 3 stalls for about 2 1/2 weeks each.

The other thing is to have patience. You can lose the weight
  • momcowen
    momcowen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post I'm right there with you! I did measure like the 2nd day and have gone down an inch in waist. But my scales is barely budging! I know that I need to load what I eat to stay accountable. I'm 52 and since January my weight has crept up 7 pounds. I just need to keep doing this! It is for my 13 year old son so I stay healthy! I have high cholesterol too and was told to moderate my diet. Stick with it and go by Clothes fit not the NUMBER!
  • TeresaGoal145lbs
    TeresaGoal145lbs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You might be gaining muscle. My weight hasn't budged much lately either, though I look slimmer. Keep your son in mind and keep sticking to it. Soon enough you'll start noticing changes! Good luck
  • tildastwistedlife
    tildastwistedlife Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I had tweaked a few things on my nutrition goals that I think I'm going to go back and fix. I'm also going to work harder to be very consistent with exercise and be aware of the other improvements I'm seeing.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I had tweaked a few things on my nutrition goals that I think I'm going to go back and fix. I'm also going to work harder to be very consistent with exercise and be aware of the other improvements I'm seeing.
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

You've got this!
  • tildastwistedlife
    Options
    Okay, so I know this sounds insane but I was excited to figure out that one of the reasons I didn't lose weight this week was because I started today. I know it sounds crazy that I didn't know that was going to happen but I am at the beginning of early menopause so I go for LONG times without having one. This time it's been since December so it was sort of a surprise. I actually had a little inkling cause hubby mentioned the other day that I seemed crabby for no apparent reason. Uh, yeah! I had a reason. So we'll let this pass and hopefully I will see a good loss after this week. Staying on track and keeping it real!
  • MKHelp
    MKHelp Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you take anything besides your diet and cardio you're doing? Glad to know you're doing great! ^^
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Your body might be use to your workouts and eating habits. I have been plateaued almost 2 months now and finally realized when I got my bodymedia armband back on, was because my body was barely burning anything as it was use to my workouts. Also eating crappy foods that I had been slowly sneaking into my diet again is no helping hand. Don't get discouraged, this is a lifestyle change and sometimes life throws you lemons and you just have to learn to make lemon water with them and move on and push harder ;)
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. I have been stuck around the same 5 pounds for what seems like forever. It's hard to know what to do to get past it but you have to keep trying to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I know the feeling mine has stalled I think it went on a holiday so I am changing things again hoping that it helps I always do plenty of cardio that is the easy part its the strength part I hate and kept on forgetting to do it but now I am doing it again doing a 30 day challenge its got squats, pushups, planks and crunches
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    ]

This. I have 2-3 weeks stalls every month, it's totally normal, especially for women as we tend to retain water before our cycle.

totally this^^^ girl every time I go through ovulation or pms week I either maintain or gain a bit. Just stick with it and pay attention to your monthly cycle.
  • tildastwistedlife
    Options
    Yahoo! I have only been allowing myself weekly weigh ins because I tend to stress about it but I decided to monitor this week since I thought my screwy pre-menopausal symptoms were to blame. Down to 208.6 this morning! If I don't count the jump up earlier this week, that's down 1.2 pounds from my last weigh in! Okay, now I'm feeling back on track and happy!
  • laurabragg
    Options
    I did a pleatu when I was not eating enough calories as well. Also cheating here and there helps boost your body and helps you loose more. These have seemed to help me. Also changing my exercise routine and not always doing the same thing. Your body needs change so it gets mixed up.