Questions about Fiber....PLEASE HELP!!

Options
OK....This may be a TMI question for some but I would not be asking if I was not absolutely miserable....PLEASE HELP!!!

I like to not just track the calories, I like to really try to ensure that I meet all of the nutrition goals MFP alots me daily and one of those is making sure I consume 25 grams of fiber. I know that diets rich in fiber and protein help keep you fuller longer, burn fat more effectively, etc. So I really would like to continue eating plenty of both. Here is the thing... The gas issues I get from fiber are making me MISERABLE. Not only is it incredibly embarassing for me working in a very small office environment (you get what I am saying), I also feel EXTREMELY bloated with painful gas cramps. I drink TONS of water all day and that does not help, and I don't want to have to keep taking anti-gas pills, that just does not seem very healthy. Has anyone else suffered from this issue? What did you do? I almost feel like avoiding fiber as much as possible, that is how bad I feel right now. ANY advice is strongly encouraged, THANK YOU!!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What sorts of foods with fiber are you eating?
  • cassiemk85
    cassiemk85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars, Oatmeal, Wheat bread, Flax seeds, leafy greens, fruits, veggies, etc.
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am suffering the same as you at the moment I am taking fybogel of my GP for IBS but the bloating and trapped gas is killing me I hope you get some good answers
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy foods like sour pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, tempeh, etc? Things that are high in probiotics might help you coax your intestines into adjusting to the higher fiber. Eating something fermented every day for a while can help set up the 'friendly' bacteria you might need.

Or, are you allergic to something you're eating now? What new things are you eating now that you didn't before?
  • WBB55
    Options
    Fiber One bars, Oatmeal, Wheat bread, Flax seeds, leafy greens, fruits, veggies, etc.

JUST FOR NOW, I'd recommend stopping the flax seeds. Just for now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you went from a low fiber diet to a high fiber diet, then this is pretty normal. It will get better as your body adjusts.

My advice would be to stop eating Fiber One bars, at least for now. These are notorious gas producers.

Taking Beano before eating vegetables can be helpful, but taking a daily probiotic would probably offer a more long term solution.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    i would cut out the fiber one bars, many ppl have issues with those. I can't eat those.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Stop the Fiber One bars and see if that helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    i would cut out the fiber one bars, many ppl have issues with those. I can't eat those.
    I'd cut the fiber one bars too. And make sure the cruciferous veggies (like broccoli) are cooked.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Fiber One bars are also known as FART bars!!!!!

Fiber One bars (as well as their flavored cereals) have inulin .....or chicory root. I have terrible gas with anything that has either of these ingredients. Fiber One original is fine....I have no issues.

There is soluble & insoluble fiber. Get a combination of both (different health benefits) and don't increase your fiber too quickly. You could be very uncomfortable.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Lol, I guess I'm the only one who had more trouble when I introduced flax!

The advice to cook/blanch fresh veggies like broccoli is also excellent advice. It'll kinda pre-digest the harder veggies for you.

Really for healthy people, it just takes a little time and slowly introducing new foods.

You got this! Good luck!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I agree with cutting out the Fiber One bars. Additionally, adding a probiotic would be helpful--make sure it's a mulit-strain probiotic. Good luck! :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lol, I guess I'm the only one who had more trouble when I introduced flax!

Oh no, you're not the only one - I've heard the horror stories from that too. LOL!

I only use a tablespoon a day so I've not had problems with that - but I've heard of people who started with much higher quantities and it wasn't good.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is when you eat your fruit. I used to eat a piece of fruit or fruit salad after my evening meal. I would then become very bloated & get stomach cramps (quite painfull). I later leant from a nutritionist that it is not a good idea to eat fruit 30 mins before or after another meal. If u eat a main meal of carb, protein and then eat fruit, the fruit will be digested quicker than your main meal, but there will be no where for it to go until your main meal is digested in your stomach.....the result is you feeling bloated, cramps, gassy. Sounds a bit awful, but made complete sense to me & it stopped the cramps & bloating.
  • Mkristoff1206
    Mkristoff1206 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There are some yoga poses, specifically twists, that may help alleviate the gas (expel it more quickly). I would cut back on the fiber rich foods and add them back more slowly. I can eat a ton of beans and other fiber rich foods and they don't affect me like they used to. Good luck.