2 week plateu?

Options
Hi! I started clean eating and exercising 5-6 times per week on Jan 1. I have lost 25 Lbs and overall im very happy with the progress I have made. I am lifting so I completely understand and know that sometimes I will not lose and the scale may go up (as it does). the only thing is, up until 2 weeks ago I was steadily losing 1 Lb and the past 2 weeks - nothing, just fluctuating up and back to normal 1-3 lbs.

Have I hit a plateu, do I need to try switching something up, or is this totally normal? Im new to all of this ..... I really want to continue to lose as I am 1/2 way to my goal (need to lose 25 more lbs to be at a healthy weight for my height/age)

Oh & my diary is public for anyone that would like to add me and take a look and give me your feedback.
any tips - advice, comments are appreciated! Thank you! xoxo

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dairy isn't public, i would check it again.. but plateaus are 4-6 weeks or longer. And do you use a food scale?
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    oops I fixed it. thank you.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You are exercising too much and eating too little. Either exercise less or eat more.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau...

4-6 weeks maybe...

Weight loss is not linear and you wont lose every week, you wont lose the same amount each week it's just the way it is.

Just be patient...

However with you being only 25lb away from goal you really should consider a food scale to weigh your solids like meat, fruit, cereals etc.

As well most will say the closer you get to goal it gets harder...and slower...1/2lb a week is a good rate when you only have 10lbs to lose..it doesn't get harder if you are careful but it will slow down a bit...

I have noticed that myself...if I have an "off" weekend no weight loss on Monday like there used to be...so now I have to weigh on Friday mornings...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    oops I fixed it. thank you.

Do you use a food scale? Calories look low for an active young woman though.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    Options
    Yes i have and i use a food scale. how much more do i need to eat ? I am satisfied im never starving myself or going to bed hungry....... and i have a polar HRM so the calorie burns should be accurate ....
  • 4myB
    4myB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss so far! I am in the same position you are in...2 weeks and nothing. I was actually going to post a similar question before I read your post. So I can't offer any advice just some moral support. I found a great quote on FB this am, it was just what I needed. "Weight loss is a slow process, don't make it slower by quitting".
  • LaurenDanielle014
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss so far! I am in the same position you are in...2 weeks and nothing. I was actually going to post a similar question before I read your post. So I can't offer any advice just some moral support. I found a great quote on FB this am, it was just what I needed. "Weight loss is a slow process, don't make it slower by quitting".

thank you! congrats on your loss too. that is very true! i will continue to work towards my goal i just want to make sure i am doing all i can to move forward! best of luck to you!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As others have said - 2 weeks does not a plateau make! If it was working before, just keep doing what you're doing. Weight loss is not linear.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes i have and i use a food scale. how much more do i need to eat ? I am satisfied im never starving myself or going to bed hungry....... and i have a polar HRM so the calorie burns should be accurate ....

What is your height, weight and workout routine?
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You exercise (burn) alot and you are hardly eating anything. You are going to put your body into starvation mode. Drink lots of water, and through in protein where you can! Good luck! Also 2 weeks I don't think is really a plateu .. anything over a month might be :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Are you really weighing everything? I only looked at the last two days, and everything says tablespoon, teaspoon, 1 cup chopped, 16 chips, etc.

I know this next part is unsolicited advice, but if I were you, I'd cut the cardio down to 1 hour at the most, and use that other hour to do some form of strength training. And of course, increase your calories goal.

ETA: And yes, it's not quite a plateau yet. You should also be eating most of your exercise calories.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You exercise (burn) alot and you are hardly eating anything. You are going to put your body into starvation mode. Drink lots of water, and through in protein where you can! Good luck! Also 2 weeks I don't think is really a plateu .. anything over a month might be :)
    ummm NO she won't. Takes months of eating next to nothing to do that to your body. Quit trying to scare people
  • LaurenDanielle014
    Options
    I am really good about weighing meat... not so good about fruit and other things sometimes when im in a rush its easier to throw it in a measuring cup but i can work on that...

i guess i will try upping my calories which i do on days that im at the gym for 2 hrs anyway...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ummm NO she won't. Takes months of eating next to nothing to do that to your body. Quit trying to scare people

There is no reason to eat at the levels she is at while working out 5-6 days a week. Creating large deficits increase the amount of lean body mass that will be lost, which will end up slowing her metabolism down. It's already common to experience adaptive thermogenesis during weight loss, so there is no reason to augment it. Besides, if she measures accurately, the increase in calories will improve her workouts, especially if she is weight training.

OP, you should be aiming for around 1lb a week. The majority of women I know exercising at your levels, tend to lose at 1700-2100 calories, depending on their stats. I would also suggest starting or increasing weight training and lowering cardio to increase muscle retention.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I am really good about weighing meat... not so good about fruit and other things sometimes when im in a rush its easier to throw it in a measuring cup but i can work on that...

i guess i will try upping my calories which i do on days that im at the gym for 2 hrs anyway...

Honestly, I think if you were overeating you would be gaining. I do not believe weighing stuff is the issue. You are just not getting enough food. Try having more servings of fruit, a glass of milk, a bit more meat than usual. Something. Try upping by adding another serving (e.g. fruit) or by 100-300 cals everyday for a week. Try that for 1-3 weeks and see if the scale or your measurements go down then.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think we all have different beliefs on "starvation mode". For me, I think a calorie deficit is "starvation mode" period. It doesn't matter whether you are at a 500 calorie deficit or 1,000 calorie deficit. If you are at a deficit, you are using fat stores (or possibly muscle) for energy, which causes weight loss. Eating more and being at a calorie surplus is certainly not going to result in weight loss. I am sure I will get blasted for it, but that's just my honest opinion.

As for the plateau, I do think its hard to explain. When it happens to me, I typically try to be more accurate with my food scale and measuring cups. I also pay more attention to my statistics on my activity tracker and heart rate monitor. Then when all else fails I usually try rotating my MACROS. I will move to higher levels of protein and lower levels of carbs for 3 or 4 days straight and follow that up with a higher carb concentration and lower fat/protein. I can never tell though whether it actually is what worked or if I had just waited it out I would have got the same results.

Just to reassure you though, I do think that two weeks does qualify as a plateau; or at least it would have for me. And there is nothing wrong with taking a look at what you are doing and seeking input. Good luck!
  • LaurenDanielle014
    Options
    wow thank you everyone for your feedback and comments. I appreciate it! I do consider 2 weeks with no loss a plateau also (glad to know im not the only one)

i am going to add another snack to my daily meals (fruit/veggies or a small portion of meat) and stay diligent about measuring.

as for the cardio.. i really enjoy my zumba, hip hop & Turbo Kick classes three times a week. i am taking weight classes 2 times a week (body pump) and an Ab/Arm class once a week. i really do not want to give up any of these classes so for now im going to stick with what i am doing... i think 2 hours a week of body pump should be okay for the strength training ?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    wow thank you everyone for your feedback and comments. I appreciate it! I do consider 2 weeks with no loss a plateau also (glad to know im not the only one)

i am going to add another snack to my daily meals (fruit/veggies or a small portion of meat) and stay diligent about measuring.

as for the cardio.. i really enjoy my zumba, hip hop & Turbo Kick classes three times a week. i am taking weight classes 2 times a week (body pump) and an Ab/Arm class once a week. i really do not want to give up any of these classes so for now im going to stick with what i am doing... i think 2 hours a week of body pump should be okay for the strength training ?

Yea, your plan is ok. You won't maximize strength increases but it's better to do a workout progrma that you enjoy then suffer through something you dont. Heck, I worked with a women that did a full recomp over a year and went from 26% body fat down to 14.1% doing crossfit.

With that said, I would look to increase protein a bit. If anything, you should be aiming to get 70-80% of your body weight in grams of protein a day. This would allow you to hit around 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yea, your plan is ok. You won't maximize strength increases but it's better to do a workout progrma that you enjoy then suffer through something you dont. Heck, I worked with a women that did a full recomp over a year and went from 26% body fat down to 14.1% doing crossfit.

With that said, I would look to increase protein a bit. If anything, you should be aiming to get 70-80% of your body weight in grams of protein a day. This would allow you to hit around 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.

You don't think 100 grams is enough?