Question about how to enter carrying baby into MFP

Options
Hi, My husband and I went out for a walk today with the baby and our dogs. I pushed the stroller while carrying the baby in a carrier and my hubby walked the dogs. We walked at a pretty good pace. I put in carrying the baby for my exercise and walking the dogs for his, but do i add in how we walked at a moderate pace as well for me? Thanks

Replies

• hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi, My husband and I went out for a walk today with the baby and our dogs. I pushed the stroller while carrying the baby in a carrier and my hubby walked the dogs. We walked at a pretty good pace. I put in carrying the baby for my exercise and walking the dogs for his, but do i add in how we walked at a moderate pace as well for me? Thanks

Presume this is a wind up but a good one
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you go to exercise, then to database, there is an option to select an activity, input weight and time and get a calorie result.
    You could use that, combine your weight and the baby's and see what the calorie burn is. You can manually change the calorie burn to that if you wish.

Personally, I'd just consider it a bonus and log it as a regular walk.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This is a tough call. There are some entries under hiking that involve carrying a load. That said, I personally would log just the walking and consider the added weight a bonus unknown burn.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options

^^This.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Agree, unless the baby weighs like 50lbs. IMO you're stretching your calorie burn on this one.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Hi, My husband and I went out for a walk today
    To be accurate we need to know the weather, the gradient, and the type of surface on which you walked
    I pushed the stroller while carrying the baby in a carrier and my hubby walked the dogs.
    Weight of the stroller? Type of bearing on the wheels? Weight of the baby? Breed and weight of dogs?
    We walked at a pretty good pace.
    Exact pace in km/h or mph please
    we walked at a moderate pace as well for me?
    Exact pace please!
    That said, I personally would log just the walking and consider the added weight a bonus unknown burn.
    Or this ^
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Strong first post.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Agree, unless the baby weighs like 50lbs. IMO you're stretching your calorie burn on this one.

If the baby is 50lbs then the question is should the baby be carrying the mother and if so how does it affect the mothers TDEE? it is a bloody minefield
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Wow, bet you wished you had never asked.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    And do you use the same amount of calories dragging your dog, or being dragged by him? :ohwell:

As for the calories with the baby, either the mathematical reply (weight + baby) or the bonus, depending on how much you want that extra bite of chocolate :tongue:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

Sometimes, when my son was about 2, and over 30 lbs I would put him up on my shoulders and walk to go get his sisters at school. Even being a fitness fanatic it made me tired so I logged it as walking with a load...which is in the database. Otherwise i wouldn't even log the walk to go pick up the kids as that was daily behavior. I would say, unless the baby if getting BIG...like 20+ lbs I would just log the walk as a moderate walk. You are used to carrying that load in your daily life.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,689 Member
    Options
    There is an item in the exercise database "walking carrying an infant or 7kg load" which burns 53 kcal in 10 minutes.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I say, don't grasp for straws..log it as a walk and be done...
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Disagree - babies weigh something!

I believe there is a MFP entry for "Carrying 15lb load or infant" (something like that). Use that if your baby is close to that weight.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I say, don't grasp for straws..log it as a walk and be done...
    +1, although I don't even log walks.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    call it a corrective cal burn for the slight error in logging that occurs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Unless that baby weighed 25lbs, I just count the walk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My question is - if you were carrying the baby - why did you bring a stroller?